Advice on Roval Wheel spoke replacement

Steven

Guest
Hi,

I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
wheel whole again.

Thanks,

Steven

>From: Steven

>I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
>have not found a replacement on the web.

Former Roval importer: wmlewisimports.com

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
>have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
>as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
>worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
>wheel whole again.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steven

Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
gone?

I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
(It's a long story.)

I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
pull in that gauge.

dianne_1234 wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
>>have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
>>as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
>>worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
>>wheel whole again.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steven

> Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
> break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
> gone?
>
> I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
> flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
> (It's a long story.)
>
> I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
> pull in that gauge.

The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your repair
work?

thanks,

Steven

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>dianne_1234 wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
>>>have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
>>>as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
>>>worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
>>>wheel whole again.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Steven

>> Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
>> break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
>> gone?
>>
>> I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
>> flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
>> (It's a long story.)
>>
>> I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
>> pull in that gauge.

>The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your repair
>work?
>
>thanks,
>
>Steven

I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
a try.

Hi,

What about these spokes?

http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

Thanks,

Steven

dianne_1234 wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>dianne_1234 wrote:

>>>Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
>>>break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
>>>gone?
>>>
>>>I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
>>>flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
>>>(It's a long story.)
>>>
>>>I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
>>>pull in that gauge.

>>The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your repair
>>work?
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>Steven

> I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
> identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
> know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
> can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
> a try.

>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your
>>> repair work?

> dianne_1234 wrote:
>> I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
>> identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
>> know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
>> can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
>> a try.

Steven top posted:
> What about these spokes?
> http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

Phil's material is great but Roval's heads are 'hammerhead'
shape so you'll have to form it yourself. Campagnolo wheels
presently use a black spoke which could also be worked to
fit. Your LBS may not have been a Roval dealer but might
sell current Campagnolo products.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:22:46 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> dianne_1234 wrote:
>>> I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
>>> identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
>>> know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
>>> can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
>>> a try.

>Steven top posted:
> > What about these spokes?
> > http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

>Phil's material is great but Roval's heads are 'hammerhead'
>shape so you'll have to form it yourself. Campagnolo wheels
>presently use a black spoke which could also be worked to
>fit. Your LBS may not have been a Roval dealer but might
>sell current Campagnolo products.

Unfortunately, even if a Campagnolo (or other) straight-pull spoke
head can be reformed to fit within the Roval hub, the threading will
likely still pose a problem.

In addition to their unusual spoke heads, Roval spokes also have
threads that are neither 2.0x56tpi nor 1.8x56tpi. The Roval spoke
nipple that shares this thread format is a special hex-head nut shaped
to nest within a toroidal nylon support at the inner rim wall. A
substitute for the Roval nipple will need to be found as well if you
use a spoke other than original equipment.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

"Nil tam difficile quin quaerendo investigari possiet." - Terence
wrote:

>>>I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
>>>have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
>>>as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
>>>worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
>>>wheel whole again.

>The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel.

Tubular (286 mm.) or clincher (288 mm)?

My remaining inventory of spokes for front and left rear Roval
tubulars has been exhausted, but I still have a few for the clincher
version of the wheels. Additionally, I think I have all the requisite
lengths for the various crossed right rears for 16, 18, 24 or 30 spoke
tubulars and clinchers.