advice on second hand bike

pattherat

Feb 9, 2003
Can anyone help. I am looking at buying a second hand racer. Carbon is looking good at the moment. How does this rate after a couple of years for durablity. Does it have anything that I should be looking out for as faults etc????

Thanks in advance

Old carbon the types they used 10 years ago is dubious with serious racing it's fast worn out.
Newer bikes have better technology, the new Carbon might not be jet on the durability level of steel(some types actually are) but it lasts for a reasonable amount of time.

Ride the bike check for strange noises and check bracket stifness(this applies to all frames not only Carbon)

Important is it a fairly recent bike? an by who and where was the bike used(also applicable for al bikes you might buy)

On thing you shouldn't be afraid for is bending as Carbon rarely bends the force needed to bend is only a little les then the one to break it(and this you will notice of course)For steel and aluminium these forced are further spread so there might be some bending especially from down tube due to riding in potholes, or against solid objects(dents are mosttimes approx 5-10 cm from steerer tube on the down tube, a frame with such a dent is 95% off the time wortless(this is something too look at with steel and especially alu)

thanks for the advice

if u had the choose, would a carbon be the way to go for a heavy 95 kg return rider or would u stick with steel

What brand?

I would say stay away from buying used unless you persoanlly know the person.

I know many people selling carbon frames like Trek with many fracture marks around the internal lugs and that is really bad.

Originally posted by xavier
What brand?

I would say stay away from buying used unless you persoanlly know the person.

I know many people selling carbon frames like Trek with many fracture marks around the internal lugs and that is really bad.

Same here, i'd never buy a second hand carbon frame! Infact my next bike will be steel, no question about that :D

cheers!

I wouldn't buy a used carfon frame either. However I can't see any obvious problem with buying a used alu or steel frame as long as it appears flawless after a good inspection/test ride. I bought a used klein frame last year, which has proved without problems. But then again, it's maybe also one of the best alu frames ever made :)