Advice on Slime Tyres for Carrero TDF

TB1972

Jul 19, 2011
Hi,

I bought the Carrero TDF recently and wanted Halfords to put Slime Tyres in - I use it for work and don't want to be delayed stopping to fix puncture. But when I dropped it in they said the ones they have won't work because the valve is too short? Any ideas or inspired thoughts as to a brand that might work.

Heres a link to the bike i have, just in case (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786805_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#dtab
It seems to have rims that are a funny shape (compared to my old 1988 racer!), not sure if this would make a difference or not.

Thanks,

Tara

I have a Slime tube on the rear. Had a real problem with flats right after I got my current bike (7 flats in 7 weeks) and have not had a flat since putting in the Slime tube. The Slime has a very short valve stem so depending on the shape of the inside of your rim it may not be long enough. If your rim has a "V" shape where the nipple comes through the rim then you may be out of luck. Good idea though, an ounce of prevention and all that.
http://www.slime.com/product/85/Smart-Bike-Tubes-Schrader-Valve.html

If you're heart is set on them, you can get valve extenders to adapt any length of presta valve to any depth of rim. I'm surprised your bike shop didn't mention them.

However, personally I wouldn't bother with slime tubes. Punctures are no where near (or do not need to be) as common as some people make out; and carrying a spare and a pump will still be necessary anyway as the level of protection isn't all that great compared to other sealants (and no sealant is perfect). I'd rather spend the two minutes at the road-side that it takes to change a tube and not have to clean up sprayed slime from my bike and wheels.

Well, having headed home without my slime tubes yesterday, Murphys Law, I get a puncture! Now I haven't fixed a puncture since i was about 12 so I thought - eeek, but I had to get on with it so I did. Fixed it, used my CO2 pump, happy days, about 5 milliseconds later I hear a pssssssssss! Obviously I didn't remeber quite how to do it right. Mind you it was a bit of a slit rather than a hole so ...

Anyway, a very nice man pulls up and says "are you alright, do you need a hand" - he then proceeds to give me a lift back to Halfords, and we had a very nice chat, he's off to do an ironman in two weeks - lunatic!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif So into halfords, new tube later and off i go home for the second time that evening.

Having now tried to fix a puncture, i think i'll survive if i get one again and i now carry a spare tube in my saddlebag (just in case its raining and I can't be a**sed to fix it there and then! But hopefully they will all be front tyre punctures rather than back, little bit easier to get off the bike!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

T