Advice on Spanish east coast road

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gareth Thomas, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following various and sometimes amiguous news about recent Spanish road regulations as they affect
    cyclists, I want to hear from anyone who has cycled on the coast road between Barcelona and
    Gibraltar within the last eighteen months or so.

Three of us are doing a fast road bike ride from Canterbury to Gibraltar at Easter. The last time I
    cycled the whole length of that coast in 1977 it was a busy road, but now it is apparently mostly
    dual carriageway. New Spanish road regulations seem to ban cyclists from dual carriageways...

--
    Gareth Thomas http://www.canterburycc.fslife.co.uk

Tags:

2. J-P.S

J-P.S Guest

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:08:02 -0000, Gareth Thomas scrawled: ) Following various and sometimes
    amiguous news about recent Spanish road ) regulations as they affect cyclists, I want to hear from
    anyone who has ) cycled on the coast road between Barcelona and Gibraltar within the last ) eighteen
    months or so.

That road is definitely not strictly coastal around the Costa Del Azahar (Alcala, Peniscola) because
    I tried to hug the coast and ended up on a shingle beach about five miles south of Alcoceber. It's
    possible to stay within a mile or so of the coast around there but the small roads are poorly
    signposted.

If you mean the A-road, then it has good, wide hard shoulders, but Spanish drivers are
    uniformly INSANE and I kept off it for much of the time. It wasn't very serious cycling; just
    pottering, really.

J-P
    --
    There is a real world; its properties are not merely social constructions; facts and evidence do
    matter. What sane person would contend otherwise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.