advice on tires for beginner

EMOC

Sep 27, 2006
Hello everyone. I am new to cycling and I just bought my first road bike a month ago. A used trek 1000 for 300 bucks at a yard sale with just over 2000 miles on it. I thought it was a pretty good deal, but the tires it came with are garbage. They're made by some Chinese company I've never heard of. The guy I got the bike from said he got them from WalMart b/c they were cheap, and he sure wasn't lying. So far for the last month both tires have blew 5 times and on one occasion left me stranded 30 miles from home. I'm a college student so I'm kinda on a budget. I'm not looking into racing anytime soon, just need a good sturdy reasonably priced tires. Something that at least won't break down every 60 miles like the **** I used to have hahaha. I live in the Austin area for those in Texas, so there's lots of hills and the roads aren't always smooth. I especially need tires that are resistant against micro-punctures. Does anyone have any good suggestions for tires and inner tubes?

Also, I've heard some bikers talk about folding tires. What exactly are those? Please enlighten me. Thanks.:)

Continental Sport 1000 is ok, I'm using them for training rides.

I bought some WTB Camino ones online for $14 NZD each (which should be around $9 USD). They seem quite sturdy and good value. You could also try using a tyre liner.

Are you sure it's not a spoke poking through the rim tape? The plastic ones are terrible. Use a cloth one.

I'm not an expert but this is what I know..
Folding tires/tyres, don't have any steel reinforcing and they do fold up and you can stick them in a bag or pocket. I geuss they are good for racing as they are lighter. I use them on both my MTB and Roadie. I don't think it makes much difference for a commuter if it's regular or foldable. Foldies are generally more expensive. I can't say if they are more puncture proof or not.
Depending on where you are and what your LBS has any reputable "Training tire" should be long wearing and tough. As for the tubes same goes I guess but I believe there are some thicker tubes avaible, I know its the case for MTB but not sure for roadies. ***Check tire/tyre pressure** that's important, if it is too low you could be getting pinch flats especially when you hit pot holes or rocks etc.. reccommended PSI is anything from about 90-110 more or less. I would also suggest running your fingers inside the rim and a visual check. There could be a burr in the rims which may need to be smoothed out.
As for cost you already saving of transport costs by riding your bike. Spend your money and get best possible you can afford for the purpose, find the right tires and tubes if needed. It could save you alot of time and frustration in the long run. You don't want to be running late for exams!!!
eek.gif

Carry a minipump, along with a patch kit a spare tube and leavers, its much quicker to change than patch a tire.

Bontrager hardcase tires: $29.99 a piece
Thorn resistant tubes: $9.99 a piece
Mr. Tuffy Tire Strips: $14.99 a pair
Going 2,000+ miles without a flat: Priceless

edit bit: Maxxis Refuse are on the same scale as bontrager hardcase tires, and aare the same price.

Rockslayer said:
Carry a minipump, along with a patch kit a spare tube and leavers, its much quicker to change than patch a tire.
typical newcomer's mistake, being unprepared. that i should definitely do from now one. the day i was stuck 30 miles out in nowhere i had nothing and had to carry my bike for like 5 hrs before hitchhiking the rest of the way home on some guy's truck.

but anyways, thankyou guys for the suggestions.

If in doubt, go for Conti Ultra Gator Skins. Always new tubes with new tyres, don't expect miracles from patches, just a back up. ;)

I think the problem is less the roads you're on than the **** tires you're on. Dang near anything would be an improvement.

I've been on Vittoria Rubino's for the last 800 miles without a flat. They can be had for about $20 @ on sale.

What size does the thing wear?

ToffoIsMe said:
Bontrager hardcase tires: $29.99 a piece
Thorn resistant tubes: $9.99 a piece
Mr. Tuffy Tire Strips: $14.99 a pair
Going 2,000+ miles without a flat: Priceless

edit bit: Maxxis Refuse are on the same scale as bontrager hardcase tires, and aare the same price.
Wow, you go to extremes.

Conti GP 4 seasons ($48AUD a piece)
Vittoria tubes ($7 a piece)
Velox rim strips ($4 a piece)

7000+km (4500miles) without a puncture, priceless

if you are after reliability and not really performance then just find the cheapest you can with a puncher resistance layer...

but some other advice.. not sure if you do this already but on rides always take these things: a pump, one spare tube, tire leavers and a patch kit incase you have more than on flat. some take a spare tire (folding) but i think this is overkill.. if you have a real blow out or slice that leaves a big hole in your tire casing you can usually allways hobble something together by the side of the road to get you home... doubling over paper from discarded cigarette packages (god bless littering cigarette smokers) and laying them between the tube and tire cassing usually does the trick some carry a peice of old tire that they use in the same way. but you need to have at least the list above.

poper inflation is also important... if you can see thread in your tires or the rubber is starting to have cracks in it.. time to toss them.

DMF said:
I think the problem is less the roads you're on than the **** tires you're on. Dang near anything would be an improvement.

I've been on Vittoria Rubino's for the last 800 miles without a flat. They can be had for about $20 @ on sale.

What size does the thing wear?
700 x 25c

I like the Specialized tires with the Armadillo casing (do they still call it that?) that are supposed to be puncture resistant.

EMOC said:
Hello everyone. I am new to cycling and I just bought my first road bike a month ago. A used trek 1000 for 300 bucks at a yard sale with just over 2000 miles on it. I thought it was a pretty good deal, but the tires it came with are garbage. They're made by some Chinese company I've never heard of. The guy I got the bike from said he got them from WalMart b/c they were cheap, and he sure wasn't lying. So far for the last month both tires have blew 5 times and on one occasion left me stranded 30 miles from home. I'm a college student so I'm kinda on a budget. I'm not looking into racing anytime soon, just need a good sturdy reasonably priced tires. Something that at least won't break down every 60 miles like the **** I used to have hahaha. I live in the Austin area for those in Texas, so there's lots of hills and the roads aren't always smooth. I especially need tires that are resistant against micro-punctures. Does anyone have any good suggestions for tires and inner tubes?

Also, I've heard some bikers talk about folding tires. What exactly are those? Please enlighten me. Thanks.:)
Not the fastest tires, but I've been very happy with my Specialized Armadillos. I live in a new development in I've got to contend with nails, staples, screws, glass, etc; I also ride on the American River Bike Trail and have to contend with thorns and such. No problems so far.

avmanansala said:
Not the fastest tires, but I've been very happy with my Specialized Armadillos. I live in a new development in I've got to contend with nails, staples, screws, glass, etc; I also ride on the American River Bike Trail and have to contend with thorns and such. No problems so far.

Hey, I've had to have passed you at least once. I ride the trail regularly myself. What kind of bike do you ride? I ride a full-custom Calfee Tetra Pro with a rear rack with a rack trunk on it and it's a cabernet red transparent clear-coat color.

The best advise I can give you is after you've decided on the tire, inspect it after every ride. Take a rag, clean off the rubber and with good lighting rotate the tire slowly and make sure there is nothing imbedded in the rubber. Glass can sometimes sparkle if you shine it with a flash light. If you see something in the rubber, use a toothpick like item to dig it out, tweezers can work fine too. If that doesn't work, let the air out of the tire and then try again as that will make it easier to dig out. A high percentage of road flats are caused by something small already in the tire just working it way in ride after ride. I inspect my tires this way after every ride in preparation for the next one.

Check out the Nashbar website: they usually have some tires on blowout (so to speak :D) for under $15 apiece. The house brand rubber is under ten, or it used to be.

And while you're nosing around the site, get yourself a pump, patch kit, tire levers, and a bunch of tubes. Do like the guy above suggested, and carry the pump, levers, spare tube, and patch kit with you everywhere. Even if it's to the corner store.

Check for embedded stuff: you can reach down and rub off a lot of gunk with your hands whilst still riding, but if you'd rather not, always check the tires when you get home for anything that might have gotten in there.

DMF said:
700c x 23 (Rubino size) should fit the rim just fine.
Any 700c (622mm) tire will fit your rim. The narrower (that is, the lighter) tire will accelerate more quickly and will make the bike feel more lively, but at the cost of a harsher ride and more flats.

Consider 25 or even 28 mm width tires. Also the folding models: a folding 25mm tire (even some of the 28mm ones) can easily weigh less than a wire beaded 21 or 23mm one. The larger tire places more rubber in contact with the road (always a good thing) and because it is bigger all around deforms less under your weight, reducing the rolling resistance and is more comfy over bumps.

Size Stuff: the current 'standard' of 700x23c dates from the early 90's. Before that, about the only 23mm tire available was Continental. That having been said, there are tires from then and now whose only difference is that the older tire is marked '25' and the modern one is marked '23'. The lesson here is that the actual width of the tire has only a passing resemblance to the actual size. Contis, Vittoria, and many of the Asian tires are actually narrower than the size claimed, so that 700x28c Continentals are actually more like 26mm measured. The width of your rim will also affect the width of the tire when mounted: skinny aero rims (19-20mm) vs. regular box section (21-22) will make the same tire look and feel differently.

Insight Driver said:
Hey, I've had to have passed you at least once. I ride the trail regularly myself. What kind of bike do you ride? I ride a full-custom Calfee Tetra Pro with a rear rack with a rack trunk on it and it's a cabernet red transparent clear-coat color.
I ride an '06 Cannondale Road Warrior 500 w/ black Specialized bar ends. I typically have two white Mike's Bikes bottles, too.

Small world. :)

GET A BIKE THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO FIT TOURING TYRES AND YOU WILL BE will be better off probably puncture wise.
mark

EMOC said: