Advice on training for one-hour hill climb

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by lanierb, Aug 21, 2007.

1. lanierb

lanierb New Member

In about six weeks I will do a one-hour hill climb and I'm looking for training advice. By definition, I need to maximize FTP. Obviously I should do a lot of level 4 and SST to help with this. Should I do any level 5 at all? If so, when (now, three weeks before race, etc)? I want to avoid peaking early so thus far I've been minimizing level 5 training. Thanks!

Tags:

2. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

If FTP progress is stagnant you may need to consider L5 work. If hill gradient varies a lot you may have no choice but to ride above FTP in some parts.

3. lanierb

lanierb New Member

That seems sensible. If I find that I plateau I will definitely mix in some more level 5.
    The hill gradient does vary somewhat. I suppose one option is to do my level 4 work on a similar hill, though I'm not sure that's the right approach either.

4. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

If hills are not readily available, you only need to do enough to be comfortable climbing and get used to the pacing. Otherwise the fitness side of it can be done on your usual routes or trainer. Plenty of Dutchman could climb well.;)