Advice on upgrading Campy components

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I am thinking of upgrading my bike's components. I currently have a mix of Campy Veloce (calipers and front triple derailleur) and Mirage (rear derailleur and brake/shifters) and an FSA triple crank and a Campy 13-26 cassette. I have a few considerations for this upgrade. I am debating whether or not I should go from my triple FSA to a Campy Veloce double. In this case, I would have to buy a new front derailleur and bottom bracket. Oh, and by the way, Campy says that I should definitely change to a Campy crank because I am not acheiving the best shifting potential from this non-Campy component, as it is not a part of their designed system.

I am also thinking about upgrading to a Centaur or Veloce rear derailleur, but I am concerned about the actual differences in quality and shifting between the Veloce and Centaur. Can anyone out there give me some advice, and can anyone shed any light on whether or not Campy has a point when they say I should eliminate my FSA crank from my system?

Thanks for the help.

RL

lohsnest said:
I am thinking of upgrading my bike's components. I currently have a mix of Campy Veloce (calipers and front triple derailleur) and Mirage (rear derailleur and brake/shifters) and an FSA triple crank and a Campy 13-26 cassette. I have a few considerations for this upgrade. I am debating whether or not I should go from my triple FSA to a Campy Veloce double. In this case, I would have to buy a new front derailleur and bottom bracket. Oh, and by the way, Campy says that I should definitely change to a Campy crank because I am not acheiving the best shifting potential from this non-Campy component, as it is not a part of their designed system.

I am also thinking about upgrading to a Centaur or Veloce rear derailleur, but I am concerned about the actual differences in quality and shifting between the Veloce and Centaur. Can anyone out there give me some advice, and can anyone shed any light on whether or not Campy has a point when they say I should eliminate my FSA crank from my system?

Thanks for the help.

RL
What Campy says about the crankset and 'best shifting potential' is just BS. There is NO point in upgraading from a Veloce to a centaur RD unless yours is wore out or you just lke to spend money foolishly.

Well, it's not about spending foolishly, but figuring out what to buy with the $200 gift cert to my LBS. I pretty much have everything I need on my bike as it is, but I figure I might as well improve upon a few things here and there. I looked at the FSA carbon cranks and they save me at most some 200 grams, and I'd still have to change out my front and rear derailleurs, costing me even more money, so I guess I'll stick with what I have and swap out the Mirage for a Veloce, keeping the Mirage as a backup. Any other ideas?

boudreaux said:
What Campy says about the crankset and 'best shifting potential' is just BS. There is NO point in upgraading from a Veloce to a centaur RD unless yours is wore out or you just lke to spend money foolishly.

lohsnest said:
Well, it's not about spending foolishly, but figuring out what to buy with the $200 gift cert to my LBS. I pretty much have everything I need on my bike as it is, but I figure I might as well improve upon a few things here and there. I looked at the FSA carbon cranks and they save me at most some 200 grams, and I'd still have to change out my front and rear derailleurs, costing me even more money, so I guess I'll stick with what I have and swap out the Mirage for a Veloce, keeping the Mirage as a backup. Any other ideas?
Well, if it wasn't a gift certiicate,I'd say fund your IRA.

If you have everything you need but it's going to expire I say pick up a new chain and cassette, you're going to need to replace them eventually. Maybe chainrings but those last a little longer. If you got them though you'd have any of the tech that campy claims helps, the chain doesn't know what sticker is on the crank. In my experience though if you adjust your deraileurs correctly this makes more difference than having pick up pins or whatever other gizmos on a ring. Along those lines does it count towards an overhaul, i.e. get everything adjusted, all the bearings replaced and repacked and whatnot? I just did my hubs but if I hadn't and it were me that looks like a good option too.

Most of what has been said is sensible. Going from an FSA crank (good quality) to Veloce isn't going to be an improvement, unless you are having a problem with the FSA. And if you don't have any complaints about the way your Mirage rear shifts, going to Veloce there isn't going to make a big difference. I agree: put your money in the things that might wear out like chain, freewheels (Veloce 10 freewheels are good), or maybe better tires, a new seat, etc.....

You could also look at some good shorts, jersey's and gloves. Personally I hate spending money on these items so if you have a gift certificate that would be a perfect excuse to get some nice new riding clothes.

Just an idea.

Thanks to all for their advice. After looking around this store, I actually wound up picking up some stuff that would come in useful.... a wireless cyclocomputer, carbon bottle cage (I have a thick steel one), extra lubricant, and a emergency CO2 pump. I even have $70 left over for a spare Campy rear derailleur. I think my next purchase will be for an extra chain and cassette.

Cheers!