Advice On Used Bike

jonijoni

May 8, 2015
I have been considering purchasing a road bike to get into the sport and have been trying to decide between an entry level new bike or a used bike with some component upgrades.

I found this bike locally: https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/bik/5011824145.htmland was trying to guage what a fair price for it would be. $600 for the stock bike in near mint condition seems fair but I am unsure how much the upgrades would add to the overall value of the bike and if there would be anything in particular to look for when assessing the bike in person. Thanks in advance!

Bicycle blue book lists the value between about 550 and 625

900 for a 2002 road bike is wishful thinking - way overpriced

It seems to be overpriced, I'm not sure. I don't know if you can get better prices out there brand new.

kylerlittle said:
It seems to be overpriced, I'm not sure. I don't know if you can get better prices out there brand new.
Agreed. Unless of course this bike has had custom parts installed. When assessing the bike in person make sure that everything is working correctly (brakes, gears, steering etc.) and that it is really in near mint condition.

There is no way to tell how many miles are on that bike, was the rider a beast or skinny frail person, is there a lot of mountains in the area, was it used for racing? Aluminum frames have a finite life expectancy of about 25,000 miles give or take 10,000 depending on rider, road conditions, and use. My Ridley Scandium bike only lasted about 5,000 miles before I noticed a crack at the top of the headtube, and Scandium is suppose to be tougher than plain aluminum, and this bike I didn't race nor climbed mountains with. So I'm a hater of aluminum bikes. By the way Ridley refused to warranty the frame because the crack wasn't considered a manufacture defect or workmanship problem, it was due to being used (there is a bit more to the story but too long to tell but in that was the final outcome). I suppose I could have gotten a lawyer and fought it but the frame wasn't worth the cost of an attorney so I got $1.39 at a recycler for the frame.