Advice on using track rollers for the first time

Philip TAYLOR

Guest
At the age of 60, I have just invested in my first-ever
set of track rollers (Tacx), and am more than a little
intimidated by what lies ahead. I have some basic
questions in which I'd really appreciate some advice
(I don't belong to a club, so I can't easily ask some
"local expert") :

1) Wheelbase adjustment -- Is the ideal setting with the
front wheel touching the apex of the front roller, or
just a little behind ?

2) When adjusting for wheelbase, is the single supplied
belt sufficiently flexible to accommodate all three
possible positions, or do I need to purchase a longer
belt if I want to use one of the two longer settings ?

3) Height. With the bike on the road, and with the saddle
adjusted to the most comfortable position, I can easily
reach the road on one side, and can just reach on both
sides simultaneously. Once I put the bike on the rollers,
I am about 6" clear of the road. How do I (safely!) get
on, get started, and get off ? Is it customary to ask
someone to steady the bike until it gets up to speed
and tracking safely, and if so, do they hold the handlbars
or the saddle ? How does one dismount safely when the
helper has disappeared ?

4) Gears or fixed wheel ? Being "track rollers", I imagine
these are intended for use with a fixed wheel, but looking
on the web I see at least one person using rollers with
gears. Is this advisable, and what are the disadvantages ?
Should I invest in a fixed wheel and shorter chain just
for use with the rollers ?

5) Special tyres. I see one can get special tyres specifically
for use with rollers; are they worth getting ?

Many thanks in advance :
Philip Taylor

In article <[email protected]>, Philip TAYLOR
[email protected] says...
> At the age of 60, I have just invested in my first-ever
> set of track rollers (Tacx), and am more than a little
> intimidated by what lies ahead. I have some basic
> questions in which I'd really appreciate some advice
> (I don't belong to a club, so I can't easily ask some
> "local expert") :
>
> 1) Wheelbase adjustment -- Is the ideal setting with the
> front wheel touching the apex of the front roller, or
> just a little behind ?

ISTR I had the roller slightly behind the 'bottom' of the wheel, but
it's been a long time ...

> 2) When adjusting for wheelbase, is the single supplied
> belt sufficiently flexible to accommodate all three
> possible positions, or do I need to purchase a longer
> belt if I want to use one of the two longer settings ?

The belt is elastic enough for all positions.

> 3) Height. With the bike on the road, and with the saddle
> adjusted to the most comfortable position, I can easily
> reach the road on one side, and can just reach on both
> sides simultaneously. Once I put the bike on the rollers,
> I am about 6" clear of the road. How do I (safely!) get
> on, get started, and get off ? Is it customary to ask
> someone to steady the bike until it gets up to speed
> and tracking safely, and if so, do they hold the handlbars
> or the saddle ? How does one dismount safely when the
> helper has disappeared ?

Stand on a breeze block or similar? I always put the rollers next to a
wall or table so I had something to steady myself on. If you did have a
helper they'd hold the seatpost.

> 4) Gears or fixed wheel ? Being "track rollers", I imagine
> these are intended for use with a fixed wheel, but looking
> on the web I see at least one person using rollers with
> gears. Is this advisable, and what are the disadvantages ?
> Should I invest in a fixed wheel and shorter chain just
> for use with the rollers ?

Rollers work fine with freewheels as long as you pedal smoothly.

> 5) Special tyres. I see one can get special tyres specifically
> for use with rollers; are they worth getting ?

Never tried them. Make sure you have plenty of pressure in your tyres.

Echo what Rob's said. Likewise it's about 15 years since I used rollers
but..

1) Front wheel is just a little behind roller apex, otherwise you take
off rather than stay put!

2) One belt will do.

3) Breezeblocks and alongside wall/table/back of the settee so you have
something grabbable within arm's length. I used to stand on the roller
frame, one hand on handlebars, other on settee, then one foot on pedal,
bum onto saddle gently start pedalling,bring other foot on board and
once I've found my balance, let go of settee and put hand on handlebars.

4) no problem with freewheel provided you change from
pedalling-to-coasting and vice versa smoothly. Indeed everything on
rollers is about smoothness. Do anything rash and you ping off! Not good
at any age no matter how soft the carpet.

Dead-boring so I used to cycle-roller in the lounge so I could watch the
tele at the same time. Downside is sweat all over the carpet...!

My sincere thanks to both Rob & Suer.

> 1) Front wheel is just a little behind roller apex, otherwise you take
> off rather than stay put!

That was my feeling, whence the question, so I was surprised when
Rob wrote "ISTR I had the roller slightly behind the 'bottom' of
the wheel", but as he said, it is a long time, so it may be that
he actually had it where Suer wrote and where I thought it
looked safest ...

> 4) no problem with freewheel provided you change from
> pedalling-to-coasting and vice versa smoothly. Indeed everything on
> rollers is about smoothness. Do anything rash and you ping off! Not good
> at any age no matter how soft the carpet.

And presumably don't touch the brakes ? I assume that if
I were to brake at all vigorously, the inertia of the
rollers would throw the bike backwards (maybe it's safer
to use a track bike after all ...).

> Dead-boring so I used to cycle-roller in the lounge so I could watch the
> tele at the same time.

I was planning to put a DVD player in front, and finally
watch all the cycling videos I've never got around to
watching !

In article <[email protected]>, Philip TAYLOR
[email protected] says...
> My sincere thanks to both Rob & Suer.
>
> > 1) Front wheel is just a little behind roller apex, otherwise you take
> > off rather than stay put!

> That was my feeling, whence the question, so I was surprised when
> Rob wrote "ISTR I had the roller slightly behind the 'bottom' of
> the wheel", but as he said, it is a long time, so it may be that
> he actually had it where Suer wrote and where I thought it
> looked safest ...

Could be - it's been at least as long for me.

> > 4) no problem with freewheel provided you change from
> > pedalling-to-coasting and vice versa smoothly. Indeed everything on
> > rollers is about smoothness. Do anything rash and you ping off! Not good
> > at any age no matter how soft the carpet.

> And presumably don't touch the brakes ? I assume that if
> I were to brake at all vigorously, the inertia of the
> rollers would throw the bike backwards (maybe it's safer
> to use a track bike after all ...).

You'll only topple gracelessly to the floor. Just make sure you're not
going to catch your head on anything on the way down. For a moment I
almost suggested that this might be a good time to wear a h****t, but
then I remembered how hot you can get using rollers.

> > Dead-boring so I used to cycle-roller in the lounge so I could watch the
> > tele at the same time.

> I was planning to put a DVD player in front, and finally
> watch all the cycling videos I've never got around to
> watching !

I used rollers because they were much less boring than a turbo trainer -
you have to actually ride the bike, rather than just sit on it and
pedal.

Success :) Putting the rollers near to a wall
was (literally) 50% of the battle; full success
followed when I realised we had a very convenient
archway between the hall and the games room, into
which the rollers would neatly fit. A small tool
box as an aid to mounting/dismounting, a few
bounces off each side of the archway with my elbows
and I was away. Max speed 22mph so far, so hardly
flying, but now to work on stamina and try to ride
one additional "virtual" mile each evening ...

But a big pedestal fan is going to be a "must" !

Philip Taylor

In article <[email protected]>, Philip TAYLOR
[email protected] says...
> Success :) Putting the rollers near to a wall
> was (literally) 50% of the battle; full success
> followed when I realised we had a very convenient
> archway between the hall and the games room, into
> which the rollers would neatly fit. A small tool
> box as an aid to mounting/dismounting, a few
> bounces off each side of the archway with my elbows
> and I was away.

I'm sure you were supposed to fall off a few times before managing to
get up to speed - I certainly did.

> Max speed 22mph so far, so hardly
> flying, but now to work on stamina and try to ride
> one additional "virtual" mile each evening ...

It might not be a good idea to train every day with an increasing
workload - rest is as important as exercise in building fitness, without
it you just wear yourself out.

> But a big pedestal fan is going to be a "must" !

You can drive it with the front roller - then you'll really be sweating.

Rob Morley wrote:

> I'm sure you were supposed to fall off a few times before managing to
> get up to speed - I certainly did.

Having broken my collar bone in two places falling
off roller-blades, I would prefer to avoid
repeating that experience !

>> Max speed 22mph so far, so hardly
>> flying, but now to work on stamina and try to ride
>> one additional "virtual" mile each evening ...

> It might not be a good idea to train every day with an increasing
> workload - rest is as important as exercise in building fitness, without
> it you just wear yourself out.

Thanks, I'll definitely bear that in mind.

** Phil.