Advice on which Touring Bike please!

mamalovesmambo

May 24, 2005
Hi,
I'm a total touring newbie, but I'm off to Italy for a month this summer and want to get a new bike for the trip.
I want the bike to be as light as possible with a good "granny gear" as I need all the help I can get uphill! The bike also needs to be as reliable as possible, so I don't want new fangled bits that'll be hard to fix or replace on route. I've heard that Trek are good for road bikes, are they also good for Touring bikes?
Would you get a women's bike? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
I've been told that smaller wheels will make uphills easier?
Is this true and are there any downsides to smaller wheels?
What about disc-breaks?
Or front suspension?
Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

mamalovesmambo said:
Hi,
I'm a total touring newbie, but I'm off to Italy for a month this summer and want to get a new bike for the trip.
I want the bike to be as light as possible with a good "granny gear" as I need all the help I can get uphill! The bike also needs to be as reliable as possible, so I don't want new fangled bits that'll be hard to fix or replace on route. I've heard that Trek are good for road bikes, are they also good for Touring bikes?
What about disc-breaks?
Or front suspension?

How much weight will you be carrying?
How many miles per day are you planning?
What is the topography of your route?

Hi,

>How much weight will you be carrying?
Will be packing as minimally as possible, but will have camping and cooking equipment. Distributed in front and rear panniers. Haven't weighed it all yet.

>How many miles per day are you planning?
30-40 a day.

>What is the topography of your route?
We will be in Tuscany, where there are lots of rolling hills.

The most important criteria is fit. If it's lightweight, good gears, and reliable -- but doesn't fit right, then it's a bad choice.

If you're a small woman, or have 'strange' proportions, you should look at a women's-specific design. Bike manufacturers generally design around men's proportions (where the market has always been, up till recently). Otherwise, if you're at least medium-sized, you should be able to get a stock frame to fit just fine. You need one of three things to get a new bike to fit properly: 1) luck; 2) lots of time, so you can try different components; or 3) a GOOD SHOP that knows what they're doing, and doesn't mind making the effort. Beyond choosing the correct frame size, fitting a bike involves seat height/position, stem height/length, crank length.

Small wheels make a negligible diffence in speed or climbing/descending ability. (Technically, a smaller wheel has slightly more hub friction; and a smaller wheel can allow different bike geometry which might affect climbing. But, as I said, these are negligible in practice. More important are the hub quality, rim width/tire design, inflation, etc.)

The Trek 520 touring bike is pretty popular, and a good value. You wouldn't go wrong with that choice (assuming a good fit). However, people on this forum generally agree that the stock gearing is too high; it's easy enough to change gears, the shop should do this for you if you buy the bike. It's rare that a bike is "perfect"; just swap out components to get what you want.

Disc brakes are a non-issue in my mind. I can see the benefit for tough mtn bike riding, but they really aren't superior to cantilevers or V-brakes for touring. Except that your rims won't last quite as long.... but not a big deal. I wouldn't make a decision on which bike, based on disc brakes.

Ciao!

-- Mark

i recently came across a motobecane grand touring bike. made in france. alum, vital 888, chromalloy forks. can anyone put a value on this bike, i would say its in fair condition, and what year it was made if you could, i bought a 65 ford p/u from a guy and he gave me the bike. thanks bobby:cool:

mamalovesmambo said:
Hi,
What about disc-breaks?
Or front suspension?

I'm considering the Trek 7200FX for my wife, the geometry is almost identical as their 520 and only a fraction of the price. It only needs mudguards and recks.
There are some adventages to this bike, it wont hurt as much if it's stolen or damaged and they have womans sizes.
I did a 3000km ride from Holland to Greece in the months of June and July on a Gazelle Playa ( www.geocities.com/xilios/index.html ) with no problems and I bought the bike used for 300€ and it's still going strong.