Advice on winter shoes.

Dobbers

Guest
Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

-You drink 16 pints and what do you get?Y'wake up in the morning and
your bed is wet-

"Dobbers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes? Does anyone use winter
> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

If your feet are the right shape, shimano W101 boots are the business. Get
them slightly large so you can fit into them with 2 pairs of socks.
The ankle bits are just neoprene, so really they're just a pair of shoes
with a cuff.

I used to use neoprene overshoes, but the boots are loads better.

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Dobbers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
>> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes? Does anyone use winter
>> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

> If your feet are the right shape, shimano W101 boots are the business. Get
> them slightly large so you can fit into them with 2 pairs of socks.
> The ankle bits are just neoprene, so really they're just a pair of shoes
> with a cuff.
>
> I used to use neoprene overshoes, but the boots are loads better.

I agree although I use the Northwave version.

--
Tony

Anon

"Dobbers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?
>

> Aldi have over shoes on sale £3.99 a couple of pairs would last the
> winter.

http://uk.aldi.com/

"Cliff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dobbers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
>> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
>> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?
>>

>> Aldi have over shoes on sale £3.99 a couple of pairs would last the
>> winter.

> http://uk.aldi.com/

As much as love Aldi bargains, I'm not sure I'd use their shoes as winter
shoes...

Cheers, helen s

I submit that on or about Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:49:04 GMT, the person
known to the court as Dobbers <[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle)
to the following effect:

>Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
>keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
>shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

I have a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit boots which are superb. A much
better shape than anything in the Shimano range, as far as my feet are
concerned.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

in message <[email protected]>, Dobbers
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

I've just bought myself a new pair of SIDI winter boots to replace my old
SIDI winter boots which have been my favourite cycling footwear for some
time. The new ones are 'Lorica' not leather, and (probably consequently)
aren't such a perfect glovelike fit as the old ones; but they are less
garishly coloured and have absolutely toasty warm lining. But IMHO
there's nothing that contributes more to your winter cycling comfort
than a nice pair of cosy, waterproof winter boots.

;; If Python is executable pseudocode,
;; then Perl is executable line noise
-- seen on Slashdot.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:52:01 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Dobbers
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
>> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
>> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

>I've just bought myself a new pair of SIDI winter boots to replace my old
>SIDI winter boots which have been my favourite cycling footwear for some
>time. The new ones are 'Lorica' not leather, and (probably consequently)
>aren't such a perfect glovelike fit as the old ones; but they are less
>garishly coloured and have absolutely toasty warm lining. But IMHO
>there's nothing that contributes more to your winter cycling comfort
>than a nice pair of cosy, waterproof winter boots.

So, I've always cycled in trainers - generally an old, no good any
more for running, running shoe. My pedals have no clips or anything,
what's the reasoning behind special shoes?

Jim.

"Jim Ley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So, I've always cycled in trainers - generally an old, no good any
> more for running, running shoe. My pedals have no clips or anything,
> what's the reasoning behind special shoes?

Proper cycling shoes have a fairly solid inflexible sole - unlike a trainer.
This makes them more efficient and more comfortable to pedal on - but
possibly worse off the bike.

For somebody who's interested in performance, you can also lose any tread
and any shock absorbing - there's no point, the only contact point is with
the pedal. All the design compromises (ventilation, fabric choice, padding)
made in the shoe can be to make it better for cycling rather than walking -
unlike trainers. (of course a lot of trainers have the design compromise
chosen to look good, but I'm guessing you don't use them :) ).

If you're happy with plain platform pedals, there's no real reason to use
cycling shoes.

However lots of people like a bit more contact with the bike - originally
provided with clips + straps, nowadays normally by some variety of clipless
pedal. This enables you pedal for more of the pedal circle - most obviously
pulling up, which gives you more power/efficiency.

With clips + straps, you can use trainers, but something with a knobbly sole
is IME a bit **** (makes it hard to get in + out). With clipless, obviously
you need a shoe the cleat will mount to, which inevitably means a proper
cycling shoe.

(Clipless pedals are great, but not necessary. All my riding is done in them
though :) )

cheers,
clive

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:45:07 +0100, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jim Ley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> So, I've always cycled in trainers - generally an old, no good any
>> more for running, running shoe. My pedals have no clips or anything,
>> what's the reasoning behind special shoes?

>For somebody who's interested in performance, you can also lose any tread
>and any shock absorbing - there's no point, the only contact point is with
>the pedal. All the design compromises (ventilation, fabric choice, padding)
>made in the shoe can be to make it better for cycling rather than walking -
>unlike trainers. (of course a lot of trainers have the design compromise
>chosen to look good, but I'm guessing you don't use them :) ).

No the trainers I cycle in cost over 1/3rd of the cost of the bike,
they're just now useless for the job of running in having done too
many miles to have any tread or cushioning left in them, they also
look so old and broken that no-one's going to mistake them for looking
good.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Jim.

in message <[email protected]>, Jim Ley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:52:01 +0100, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Dobbers
>>('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> Winter is on its way so should I go for thermal neoprene overshoes to
>>> keep my toes warm or a pair of winter shoes?Does anyone use winter
>>> shoes and do they restrict the ankles?

>>I've just bought myself a new pair of SIDI winter boots to replace my
>>old SIDI winter boots which have been my favourite cycling footwear for
>>some time. The new ones are 'Lorica' not leather, and (probably
>>consequently) aren't such a perfect glovelike fit as the old ones; but
>>they are less garishly coloured and have absolutely toasty warm lining.
>>But IMHO there's nothing that contributes more to your winter cycling
>>comfort than a nice pair of cosy, waterproof winter boots.

> So, I've always cycled in trainers - generally an old, no good any
> more for running, running shoe. My pedals have no clips or anything,
> what's the reasoning behind special shoes?

Primarily, to locate your foot correctly on the pedal, to hold it firmly
there so that it doesn't slip, to increase and smooth your power output
by enabling you to drive through a greater proportion of the pedal
revolution and, perhaps most importantly, to spread the load over the
whole of the sole of your foot rather than concentrate it in one place.

There are other benefits, too, but those are the main ones. Once you've
tried them you'll never go back.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security tesm. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 00:08:58 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Jim Ley
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:52:01 +0100, Simon Brooke
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>in message <[email protected]>, Dobbers

>>>I've just bought myself a new pair of SIDI winter boots to replace my
>>>old SIDI winter boots which have been my favourite cycling footwear for
>>>some time. The new ones are 'Lorica' not leather, and (probably
>>>consequently) aren't such a perfect glovelike fit as the old ones; but
>>>they are less garishly coloured and have absolutely toasty warm lining.
>>>But IMHO there's nothing that contributes more to your winter cycling
>>>comfort than a nice pair of cosy, waterproof winter boots.

>> So, I've always cycled in trainers - generally an old, no good any
>> more for running, running shoe. My pedals have no clips or anything,
>> what's the reasoning behind special shoes?

>Primarily, to locate your foot correctly on the pedal, to hold it firmly
>there so that it doesn't slip, to increase and smooth your power output
>by enabling you to drive through a greater proportion of the pedal
>revolution and, perhaps most importantly, to spread the load over the
>whole of the sole of your foot rather than concentrate it in one place.
>
>There are other benefits, too, but those are the main ones. Once you've
>tried them you'll never go back.

Thanks for all the tips folks.Much appreciated.