Advice/Opinion/Experience: Deore XT, LX and Deore

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Onefred, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.

    On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly the same. What
    am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to
    Deore LX.

    > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs
    are nearly the
    > same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    A very good question. You can definitely save money with some parts by getting a lower level
    component without significantly affecting performance and durability. I can't comment directly on
    your specific question (too tired to look it up..) but there are obvious places to cut corners and
    pay less. Use your common sense and you'll be on the right track. Manufacturers do it all the time
    on new bike to hit a specific price point..some cheap parts are a good idea, some bad. I know a few
    years back, all Shimano cantilever brakes were practically identical except for the finish..why pay
    double for polished parts? Makes no sense to me, but some people like shiny parts.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Onefred-<< Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.
    >><BR><BR> << On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly
    the same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs? >><BR><BR>

    Loud Speaker blares at this poster from the street-

    "STAND UP, WALK AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER!! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!

    YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF SHIMANO'S THIRD LAW OF CYCLING"

  4. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    Shiny parts do cost more. Lets make them black and charge the same or more. Remember Sante,
    Shimono's high priced, painted stuff? When the paint wore or flaked off it looked like s--t. 105
    anyone? Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420
    S. Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior
    > Deore LX.
    > >
    > > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc
    hubs
    > are nearly the
    > > same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > A very good question. You can definitely save money with some parts by getting a lower level
    > component without significantly affecting
    performance
    > and durability. I can't comment directly on your specific question (too tired to look it up..) but
    > there are obvious places to cut corners and pay less. Use your common sense and you'll be on the
    > right track. Manufacturers do it all the time on new bike to hit a specific price point..some
    > cheap parts are a good idea, some bad. I know a few years
    back,
    > all Shimano cantilever brakes were practically identical except for the finish..why pay double for
    > polished parts? Makes no sense to me, but some people like shiny parts.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Shiny parts do cost more. Lets make them black and charge the same or more. Remember Sante,
    > Shimono's high priced, painted stuff? When the paint wore or flaked off it looked like s--t.
    > 105 anyone?

    Yeah, that new, all-black 105 stuff really bugs me. Particularly the crank, which *will* look like
    shit in a year or so. I'm sure this is a ploy to get people to either buy a new bike in a couple of
    years, or to encourage them to go "up" a level, to get the shiny stuff that stays looking good. The
    typical 105 buyer is probably someone buying their first "nice" bike, so they don't have the
    experience to know this is what will happen.

    Really shiny, polished parts do cost more, but the kind of anodizing that's on 105, or
    typical painted finishes, take as much prep as the everyday silver-colored stuff we've been
    riding for years.

    BTW, anodized XTR with some miles on it looks like shit too. Some people like that though -- they
    think it makes them look hardcore.

    Matt O.

  6. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.
    >
    > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly the same.
    > What am I missing here?

    Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

    > Why pay more for the XT hubs?

    Why, indeed? LOL!

    I have Deore disk hubs on my MTB. They have never given me any problems, and seem about the same as
    the XT-hubbed wheels that I demoed. The price is the major difference, it seems, but if you are
    label-conscious, then the additional price really isn't all that bad.

    If you want to talk about high-end stuff for your MTB, you might want to think about Chris King or
    Hugi. High-priced, to be sure. But they have reputations for being bulletproof. You could buy quite
    a few hubsets on what it costs to buy those beauties, however...

    Spider

  7. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.
    > >
    > > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly
    the
    > > same. What am I missing here?
    >
    > Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

    Yes, I can see that proverbial light now. I also find it amazing that Shimano sell four upper-end
    MTB groups. I can understand how XT fits in as the cheaper-but-nearly-as-competitive-as-XTR group.
    Then Deore as the little bro for the more price conscious consumer that still wants high
    performance, but where does LX sit? IMO, I think Deore LX is going to see the same end as Deore DX
    and we'll be left with Deore, XT and XTR for the upper end bikes.

    Dave

  8. "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or
    superior to Deore LX.

    > > > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc
    hubs are nearly
    > the
    > > > same. What am I missing here?
    > >
    > > Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...
    >
    > Yes, I can see that proverbial light now. I also find it amazing that
    Shimano sell four
    > upper-end MTB groups. I can understand how XT fits in as the
    > cheaper-but-nearly-as-competitive-as-XTR group. Then Deore as the little
    bro for the more
    > price conscious consumer that still wants high performance, but where does
    LX sit? IMO, I
    > think Deore LX is going to see the same end as Deore DX and we'll be left
    with Deore, XT
    > and XTR for the upper end bikes.
    >
    > Dave

    Well around here I see a lot more Deore and LX stuff than I do XT or XTR. But the bulk of German
    bicyclists tend to be more budget/utility oriented with bikes than competitive/high performance.

    Rob Strickland

  9. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    ask to see and play with, the police ssshhhhh! model.