Advice/Opinion/Experience: Deore XT, LX and Deore

Onefred

Guest
Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.

On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly the same. What
am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?

Thanks,

Dave

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to
Deore LX.

> On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs
are nearly the
> same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

A very good question. You can definitely save money with some parts by getting a lower level
component without significantly affecting performance and durability. I can't comment directly on
your specific question (too tired to look it up..) but there are obvious places to cut corners and
pay less. Use your common sense and you'll be on the right track. Manufacturers do it all the time
on new bike to hit a specific price point..some cheap parts are a good idea, some bad. I know a few
years back, all Shimano cantilever brakes were practically identical except for the finish..why pay
double for polished parts? Makes no sense to me, but some people like shiny parts.

Cheers,

Scott..

Onefred-<< Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.
>><BR><BR> << On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly
the same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs? >><BR><BR>

Loud Speaker blares at this poster from the street-

"STAND UP, WALK AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER!! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!

YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF SHIMANO'S THIRD LAW OF CYCLING"

Shiny parts do cost more. Lets make them black and charge the same or more. Remember Sante,
Shimono's high priced, painted stuff? When the paint wore or flaked off it looked like s--t. 105
anyone? Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
410.426.3420
news:[email protected]...

"Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Shiny parts do cost more. Lets make them black and charge the same or more. Remember Sante,
> Shimono's high priced, painted stuff? When the paint wore or flaked off it looked like s--t.
> 105 anyone?

Yeah, that new, all-black 105 stuff really bugs me. Particularly the crank, which *will* look like
**** in a year or so. I'm sure this is a ploy to get people to either buy a new bike in a couple of
years, or to encourage them to go "up" a level, to get the shiny stuff that stays looking good. The
typical 105 buyer is probably someone buying their first "nice" bike, so they don't have the
experience to know this is what will happen.

Really shiny, polished parts do cost more, but the kind of anodizing that's on 105, or
typical painted finishes, take as much prep as the everyday silver-colored stuff we've been
riding for years.

BTW, anodized XTR with some miles on it looks like **** too. Some people like that though -- they
think it makes them look hardcore.

Matt O.

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.
>
> On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly the same.
> What am I missing here?

Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

> Why pay more for the XT hubs?

Why, indeed? LOL!

I have Deore disk hubs on my MTB. They have never given me any problems, and seem about the same as
the XT-hubbed wheels that I demoed. The price is the major difference, it seems, but if you are
label-conscious, then the additional price really isn't all that bad.

If you want to talk about high-end stuff for your MTB, you might want to think about Chris King or
Hugi. High-priced, to be sure. But they have reputations for being bulletproof. You could buy quite
a few hubsets on what it costs to buy those beauties, however...

Spider

> > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.
> >
> > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly
the
> > same. What am I missing here?
>
> Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

Yes, I can see that proverbial light now. I also find it amazing that Shimano sell four upper-end
MTB groups. I can understand how XT fits in as the cheaper-but-nearly-as-competitive-as-XTR group.
Then Deore as the little bro for the more price conscious consumer that still wants high
performance, but where does LX sit? IMO, I think Deore LX is going to see the same end as Deore DX
and we'll be left with Deore, XT and XTR for the upper end bikes.

Dave

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or
superior to Deore LX.

> > > On http://bike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc
hubs are nearly
> the
> > > same. What am I missing here?
> >
> > Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...
>
> Yes, I can see that proverbial light now. I also find it amazing that
Shimano sell four
> upper-end MTB groups. I can understand how XT fits in as the
> cheaper-but-nearly-as-competitive-as-XTR group. Then Deore as the little
bro for the more
> price conscious consumer that still wants high performance, but where does
LX sit? IMO, I
> think Deore LX is going to see the same end as Deore DX and we'll be left
with Deore, XT
> and XTR for the upper end bikes.
>
> Dave

Well around here I see a lot more Deore and LX stuff than I do XT or XTR. But the bulk of German
bicyclists tend to be more budget/utility oriented with bikes than competitive/high performance.

Rob Strickland

ask to see and play with, the police ssshhhhh! model.