advice/opinion for my new bike

Myname

Guest
Hi all,

You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new bike
and the technology has changed a bit. My old bike was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components
and I don't have many friends that are into off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just
purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp (international version) and had a question about
the handlebar. It has a riser bar, which I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are
now quite common. I was wondering if it is still possible, and desirable, to put bar ends on such a
handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used to having them there, both for comfort and
especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this would be an acceptable thing to do with a
riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I am located up north and the snow is still
melting, I have not had a chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure if
I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it just did not
look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for opinions.
Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new
> bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
bike
> was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
> off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp
> (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
which
> I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
> it is still possible, and desirable, to put
bar
> ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
> having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this
> would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I
> am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not had
> chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
if
> I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it just did not
> look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for opinions.
> Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

No bar ends, but hey do what you like

"myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new
> bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
bike
> was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
> off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp
> (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
which
> I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
> it is still possible, and desirable, to put
bar
> ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
> having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this
> would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I
> am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not had
> chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
if
> I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it just did not
> look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for opinions.
> Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

First of all, congrats on the new bike -- enjoy it!

Second, it's definitely possible to put bar ends on a riser bar (although be careful if the bar's
carbon); whether it's "desirable" is another matter entirely :)

The Trend Police will tell you it's a no-no, which, if you ask me, is a helluva reason to do it.

I'd recommend riding the bike without 'em for a while, and if you find you miss 'em, add 'em! (If
your riser is carbon you might consider using end-plugs to reinforce it so the bar ends don't
crush it.)

Bill "had bar ends with a riser on my hardtail until I changed the grips recently" S.

"myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new
> bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
bike
> was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
> off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp
> (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
which
> I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
> it is still possible, and desirable, to put
bar
> ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
> having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this
> would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I
> am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not had
> chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
if
> I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it just did not
> look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for opinions.
> Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

If you want to and it feels good do it. However it might not look cool. So you should consider that
first, because looking cool is more important that actually riding. ;-)
--
Westie

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:33:29 -0400, "myName" <[email protected]> scribbled:

>Hi all,
>
>You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new bike
>and the technology has changed a bit. My old bike was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components
>and I don't have many friends that are into off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just
>purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp (international version) and had a question about
>the handlebar. It has a riser bar, which I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess
>are now quite common. I was wondering if it is still possible, and desirable, to put bar ends on
>such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used to having them there, both for
>comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this would be an acceptable thing to
>do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I am located up north and the snow
>is still melting, I have not had a chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm
>not sure if I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it
>just did not look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for
>opinions. Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

I've got bar ends on my riser bars, and they've come in handy (get it?) on several occasions. I
gather it's not the popular thing to do these days, but then again I've never been one to follow
trends - I wouldn't know a trend if it ran up and bit me square in the ass. I say give it a try.
Worst thing that could happen is they prove uncomfortable or unwieldy, in which case you can just
take 'em off and put new grips back on. Best thing is they prove useful for providing more hand
positions or something to grab at on crazy climbs.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

"myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>Bit of a snip
I was wondering if it is still possible, and desirable, to put bar
> ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
> having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this
> would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different.
> snip again

Ride the bike first...if afterward you find yourself wanting risers, go for
it.

Be warned, however, putting bar ends on a riser is like going to a concert wearing the t-shirt of
the band you're there to see...do you really want to be that guy?

Chris (is kidding...do what makes you ride better)

"myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Hi all,
|
| You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new
| bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
bike
| was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
| off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp
| (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
which
| I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
| it is still possible, and desirable, to put
bar
| ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
| having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this
| would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I
| am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not had
| chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
if
| I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it just did not
| look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for opinions.
| Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

If david beckham can wear a skirt then you can add bar ends to risers. Who cares what the "fashion
police" say, if it works do it. At least try it and see.

Simon.......i dont personally have bar ends but I have an outdated pony tail.

Since I am now in my early thirties and have traded in consistent trail riding and any resemblence
of style I might have had for marriage, kids, and a mortgage, I could really care less about the
fashion police! :) I guess I was just thinking the whole dynamic might be a bit weird with the
higher handlebar. I'll probably try it without them for awhile and see if I still want to put them
on after a few good rides. I'll have to keep this newsgroup in my favorites list as I'm sure I'll
have other questions in the months to come as I get used to playing with the other components I've
never had before (eg. rear suspension, v-brakes, etc...)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | Hi all,
> |
> | You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time
since
> | I've purchased a new bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
> bike
> | was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
> | off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
> | comp (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
> which
> | I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
> | it is still possible, and desirable, to put
> bar
> | ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
> | having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing.
However,
> | I'm not sure if this would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a
> | bit different. Since I am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not
had
> | chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
> if
> | I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them
and
> | thought it just did not look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just
> | looking for opinions. Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.
> |

> If david beckham can wear a skirt then you can add bar ends to risers. Who cares what the "fashion
> police" say, if it works do it. At least try it
and
> see.
>
> Simon.......i dont personally have bar ends but I have an outdated pony tail.

Go for it......I've always liked the extra hand positions on a long ride.

--
______________________________________

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
______________________________________
"myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time since I've purchased a new
> bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
bike
> was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
> off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR comp
> (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
which
> I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
> it is still possible, and desirable, to put
bar
> ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
> having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing. However, I'm not sure if this
> would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a bit different. Since I
> am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not had
> chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
if
> I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them and thought it just did not
> look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just looking for opinions.
> Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

---

| "myName" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > Hi all,
| >
| > You will have to excuse the dumb question, but its been a long time
since
| > I've purchased a new bike and the technology has changed a bit. My old
| bike
| > was a very dated Kona hardtail with DX components and I don't have many friends that are into
| > off-road biking so I'm a bit out of date. I just purchased a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
| > comp (international version) and had a question about the handlebar. It has a riser bar,
| which
| > I've never had the pleasure of using before but I guess are now quite common. I was wondering if
| > it is still possible, and desirable, to put
| bar
| > ends on such a handlebar. I had them on my old bike and got really used
| > having them there, both for comfort and especially for climbing.
However,
| > I'm not sure if this would be an acceptable thing to do with a riser bar since the geometry is a
| > bit different. Since I am located up north and the snow is still melting, I have not
had
| > chance to really take my bike out for a proper ride yet so I'm not sure
| if
| > I'll even want them on the new bike. I guess I'm used to having them
and
| > thought it just did not look right sitting in my living room without em! Anyway, that's it. Just
| > looking for opinions. Thanks. Oh, please reply to the group as I rarely check my email.

It looks funny and the style police will gig you, but do what works for you.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/8/2003