Advice please anyone??!!!

Hairy_Henry

Jul 11, 2005
Hi all,

I am interested in getting a road bike after years of mountain bike riding but I am not sure which bike to get. I want to spend around £400 to £500 maximum which should get me a basic entry level bike as I dont wont to be a "all the gear and no idea" bloke with a £1000000 road bike as it will be my first proper road bike! I am condsidering either a specialized allez double or a Scott S5 so any comments on either would be appreciated. Also I have seen last years versions of these bikes on sale for £100 to £150 less than this years models. Is there much of a difference to make it worth me spending £100+ more for the current versions of these bikes?

Thanks

Bicycle's don't spoil on the shelf, so definitely save the money if you find a previous model year's bike that's the right size for you. The advantage of buying new retail is mainly the choice you get in picking the exact size and options you want.

The Allez is a fine bicycle. The main differences (I think) are really the quality of gearing, brakes, and wheels. I would recommend first riding a $3000 road bikeswith Dura Ace and a $2000 bike with Ultegra. It's a lot of fun. After that you will definitely want to upgrade from the Sora, and be on the fence between Tiagra vs 105.

I've been told the fancy race wheels are lighter but maybe less durable for routine subthreshold abuse. I choose to go with tolerance for abuse.

As they say the grass is always greener. After you buy, you'll still see people on fancy high end bikes and old bikes with shifters on the frame and wonder.

Write back with your choice!