Advice please-born again cyclist..!

dooper

Sep 22, 2010
Hi all,,

I'm new to this forum so im just seeking some general advice.

When i was younger,i used to cycle a lot and the bike i had was just a typical bog standard road bike.

Fast forward and i am now mid 40s though still pretty fit (i think) and i have just been given a bike which it says on the frame is a Scott Windriver. Now im not up to speed on the latest cycling technologies but i think this one is maybe at least 15 years old though it hasnt been out much and is in good condition. It seems like just what i need. It has 3 x7 Shimano Deore x7 gearset and seems fairly light and runs well enough on the road and seems to suit me for now.

I was looking around the chain reaction website looking to buy a few accessories such as some mudguard so that i dont get soaked.

Also the original handlebars have what looks like foam/grippy sleeving on them rather than tape..i guess this stuff isnt available now?

The other thing which im not sure of is pedal technology !

Now when i was younger you had flat pedals and pedals with toe clips but now apparently you have clipless pedals.

The bike currently has flat pedals with simple toe clips.

Am i right in saying that clipless pedals somehow integrate with special shoes and that therefore you need to buy pedals and shoes? Is that kind of kit really only for serious road cyclists and not really of much benefit for plodders like myself?

Thanks for any comments..

Jo

I am afraid that is a question that only you can answer. There will of coursebe a cost involved. How much is depending on what you want to spend.
The benefit is more effecient power transfer and ease of use ,once you get use to them.
My advise, try what you got for a while and if you get catch the passion for cycling, upgrade.

I second the motion that you ride it for awhile as it is, if for no other reason than to make sure it's something you really want to do before you spend a bunch of money.

In parallel with that you can be learning what accessories are available, which accessories might benefit you, how much they should cost, etc.

Clipless pedals come with the cleats they are designed to work with, and then you have to purchase shoes that will work with those cleats. As long as you stick with major brands compatibility usually isn't an issue. I used pedals with toe clips like you currently have on your bike for many many years and now I use clipless. I don't think the clipless pedals made me a better rider, but I think they are easy to use and you have a lot of different styles to choose from so it shouldn't be hard to find something you like.

Welcome Jo. I'm also a returning cyclist, but my last riding was about 5 years ago, so I'm well familiar with clipless pedals. I complete agree with the posters who advised you to ride what you have for a while and see what you like and don't like about it. Another suggestion is that you do some reading on the Rivendell Cycles website, particularly the articles about pedals and fenders (mudguards). You may not become a convert to Grant's philosophies, but it is a different perspective. It may also save you the cost of new pedals and shoes. When I was using clipless pedals, I prefered Look pedals for their adjustibility and ease of exit (I'm a chicken on the bike). However, the shoes with Look cleats are much harder to walk on than mountain shoes with SPD cleats. Performance makes a pedal called the Forte Campus pedal that is a regular platform on one side, and an SPD-compatible pedal on the other. I have these on my bike now. I will probably replace them with a traditional touring pedal with platform on both sides. I doubt that I will go back to clipless any time soon. The Campus pedals are OK, but I'm already getting irritated at having to find the right side of the pedal to put my foot on. I take it you're somewhere other than the US. But I guess you can get Performance stuff from the website if you don't have a local store. Otherwise I'd offer to let you try my pedals. As for tape, just cut the old foam off (assuming it's dry and ratty), and get some modern foam tape and learn how to tape the bars. It's not hard, will give you a sense of accomplishment! There's a wealth of information on this site, on Rivendell, and also on Harris Cyclery/Sheldon Brown. Have fun!

Thanks for all the feedback..im in the UK by the way....I'll take all the tips on board. I am slowly adjusting th bike to fit me and have just discovered that the seat post has adjustments to move the seat both back and forward and to adjust its angle i,e front pointy bit up and down ! I'm planning on a few days cycling in the lakes (cumbria) in the next couple of weeks. The mudgurad (fender..) well its just to try and keep the rain and dirt off my back !

jo

The pedal thing is an interesting debate that will provide you with a variety of opinions. I have both, clips/straps and clipless. Which do I prefer? depends. If I'm riding and know I will be walking at some point, or just want to jump on a bike for a ride around the neighborhood then I like clips and straps; if I want to make sure I go fast I use the clipless. In the end I like the clips and straps the best, more versatility.