Advice please - do I need a new chain?



Hi there

Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
work as opposed to the tube!

However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.

Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
 
T

Tosspot

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
> work as opposed to the tube!
>
> However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
> as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
> same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.
>
> Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
> advice greatly appreciated.


Probably the crank arms need tightening, that'd be my first bet. Check
the pedals while your there, then the handlebars. Thats usually the
creaks. The grating sound I've no idea.
 
B

Ben C

Guest
On 2007-05-05, Tosspot <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
>> work as opposed to the tube!
>>
>> However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
>> as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
>> same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.
>>
>> Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
>> advice greatly appreciated.

>
> Probably the crank arms need tightening, that'd be my first bet. Check
> the pedals while your there, then the handlebars. Thats usually the
> creaks. The grating sound I've no idea.


The grating sound is likely to be the chain rubbing against the front
mech. As you suggest it may be the crank is loose; also possible is play
in the BB. Either should be detectable by trying to wobble the crank
from side to side. It should move very little. If the other crank
wobbles with it, it's probably the BB, if not, probably a loose crank on
the chainring side.
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
> work as opposed to the tube!
>
> However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
> as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
> same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.
>
> Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
> advice greatly appreciated.


What you're describing can be caused by a lot of things.

If you can feel a click or grating feeling through one foot but not the
other, it's probably a pedal bearing (although sometimes you get pedal
bearing problems with no distinct feeling).

If you feel a click or grating feeling through both feet, it's probably the
bottom bracket (although, again...).

But the other thing I'd check are the wheel bearings on the right hand side
of the rear wheel. They're under a lot of load when pedalling, far less
when freewheeling. However, the fact that you say the noise is in rhythm
with your pedalling makes me think it's either the bottom bracket or the
right hand pedal, as wheel bearing noises tend to be either continuous or
once per wheel revolution.

If you check these and still haven't fixed it, very odd noises can turn out
to be caused by the seatpost (honestly).

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
to transfer it by HTTP.
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Ben C
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 2007-05-05, Tosspot <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
>>> work as opposed to the tube!
>>>
>>> However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
>>> as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
>>> same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.
>>>
>>> Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
>>> advice greatly appreciated.

>>
>> Probably the crank arms need tightening, that'd be my first bet. Check
>> the pedals while your there, then the handlebars. Thats usually the
>> creaks. The grating sound I've no idea.

>
> The grating sound is likely to be the chain rubbing against the front
> mech. As you suggest it may be the crank is loose; also possible is play
> in the BB. Either should be detectable by trying to wobble the crank
> from side to side. It should move very little. If the other crank
> wobbles with it, it's probably the BB, if not, probably a loose crank on
> the chainring side.


Actually, yes... I misunderstood the OP's description of symptoms. Cheaper
chainsets which warp a little under the pressure of pedalling will make
a 'chirrr... chirrr... chirrr' sound as the chain rubs on the side of the
front derailleur cage. Or, as Tosspot says, the right hand crank might be
loose.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
Wannabe a Web designer?
<URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>
 
N

Niall Wallace

Guest
"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> in message <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> If you check these and still haven't fixed it, very odd noises can turn
> out
> to be caused by the seatpost (honestly).
>


Having take na while to adjust my saddle on my moutnain bike I started
getting worried by a very irritating creeking noise, It sounded like it was
coming from the handle bars but when I stopped and tried to do it there was
no creaking fro mthe bars, then i sat back down on the saddle for a think.
Jsut as I put my weightback there was that damn creak again. Hand't quite
tightened the bolt up enough and the rails and teeth had room to move very
slightly in the clamp.

Niall
 
R

Rob Morley

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Ive now noticed that I am not able to shift from the middle to large
> (front) cog when I change gear, even though it tells me on the dial
> that it has moved to '3'. Just doesnt seem to want to change up. Could
> this be something to do with the creaking sound?


Could be - try moving the cage out by hand to see if it will move
further , and if it will try tightening the cable (there's probably an
adjuster behind the lever on the handlebar).