Advice Please; Trek 1500, Cannondale R900 2005 or Ridegback Genesis Day 7

alanmcc

Jan 13, 2007
My employer is about to start a Ridetowork Scheme. No VAT, Income Tax or National Insurance plus 10% off. Direct from my wages over 12 months so roughly about 45% of the cost!! Plus I can buy at sale prices.

I ride to work 27 miles total each day and use a Trek 1000 2000 version for work, poor roads so need good wheels. Also use a Xenio frame with Campag Groupset when it shines (it was used in an Adidas advert 10 years ago for ten days and I bought it from the supplier half price). I have had both bikes' wheels rebuilt so don't often lose a spoke.

So.... Trek 1500 not sure about the Bontrager Select wheels.

I like the riding position on my 60cm 1000 but I'm 6'2" and have the saddle forward whilst my Exenio is a 56cm and I have the saddle right back.

Or .... Genesis Day 07 but have been told that the frames split.

Or..... Cannondale R900 2005 I rode it and it felt quick but not sure of the riding position or the wheels [Gipiemme Parade wheels] or the groupset [FSA Gossomer MegaExo chainset]. Plus it looks nicer,

Call me old fashioned but the more spokes it has the better. Or, am I wrong.

Advice please.

alanmcc said:
My employer is about to start a Ridetowork Scheme. No VAT, Income Tax or National Insurance plus 10% off. Direct from my wages over 12 months so roughly about 45% of the cost!! Plus I can buy at sale prices.

I ride to work 27 miles total each day and use a Trek 1000 2000 version for work, poor roads so need good wheels. Also use a Xenio frame with Campag Groupset when it shines (it was used in an Adidas advert 10 years ago for ten days and I bought it from the supplier half price). I have had both bikes' wheels rebuilt so don't often lose a spoke.

So.... Trek 1500 not sure about the Bontrager Select wheels.

I like the riding position on my 60cm 1000 but I'm 6'2" and have the saddle forward whilst my Exenio is a 56cm and I have the saddle right back.

Or .... Genesis Day 07 but have been told that the frames split.

Or..... Cannondale R900 2005 I rode it and it felt quick but not sure of the riding position or the wheels [Gipiemme Parade wheels] or the groupset [FSA Gossomer MegaExo chainset]. Plus it looks nicer,

Call me old fashioned but the more spokes it has the better. Or, am I wrong.

Advice please.
I havea 2005 Cannondale R1000 and love it. Realy quick, and good wheels, i've hit a lot of potholes and there still true, however thers Mavics, not gippieme"{s

I have a Trek 1500. It is a very quick handling frame. I think a little too quick. I much prefer the handling of a compact like the Giant OCR, but that's just me. You may like it. It's a reasonable light bike for the money, and race worthy.

The Bontrager Select wheels are not light, but that are very strong and stiff. I have thrashed mine, and they are still true. I'm impressed by them.

benkoostra said:
I have a Trek 1500. It is a very quick handling frame. I think a little too quick. I much prefer the handling of a compact like the Giant OCR, but that's just me. You may like it. It's a reasonable light bike for the money, and race worthy.

The Bontrager Select wheels are not light, but that are very strong and stiff. I have thrashed mine, and they are still true. I'm impressed by them.
Thanx

Still pondering, as I have a Trek 1000 moving towards a Trek 1500:)

alanmcc said:
Thanx

Still pondering, as I have a Trek 1000 moving towards a Trek 1500:)
Whatever you decide, the 2007 105 group has gotten some impressive reviews. I have the 90 speed '06 version, but I'm very happy with it. It works better than my wife's Ultegra/ Dura Ace set up and weighs only a little more.

My 1500 is stock except for the seat, post, pedals - really all the "control surfaces" if you will. I'm pretty happt with it.
Oh, and Pro2Race tires with dark blue sidewalls look fantastic on it.:D