Advice Please

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by freakien, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. freakien

    freakien Guest

    I did have access to a cheep uni once a week, for a few hours, but now I
    have to buy one to continue learning

    I'm 6 ft tall and 16 1/2 stone (about 230 lbs) - I have learned to ride
    forwards and turn + come back - still all abit randomly :rolleyes: - no
    freemount as yet - but my dismounts are often spectacular ;)

    I want an all rounder (difficult I know:eek: ) - I want to...
    -bomb arround town, hop up + down curbs, maybe steps later ???:eek:
    -but also must be able to handle some off road in the parks too,
    -and I want to ride on the beach when there is no wind for
    kite-buggying.
    (kite-unicycling anyone :eek: )
    I've think i'm fixed on a 24" wheel - but tell me if you think
    otherwise

    Ok, i've read quite alot of newbee stuff on here but i'm still
    undecided about what to buy....Do I.....

    A - Buy cheep learner (£50-£100) - Kill it - but find out what i really
    want out of a uni and then buy good one? -

    Learner http://tinyurl.com/9c2ft
    Adult Learner http://tinyurl.com/ctqxx

    B - Buy an intermediate uni (£120-£160) - That will be good quality +
    last well, as long as i don't learn to do 2-3 ft drops -

    NimbusII http://tinyurl.com/6t8qs
    NimbusX http://tinyurl.com/cxk3w
    NimbusMuni http://tinyurl.com/3gd9k

    C - Buy a splined hub uni (£190 - £250) - overkill for a learner - but
    will probably last me forever -

    Qu-ax Splined http://tinyurl.com/7cex2
    Onza Muni http://tinyurl.com/88jt3
    KH CroMo Muni http://tinyurl.com/bqad7

    I can afford A + B, but C will break the bank!!

    Any onther options I've missed? (UK kit only)
    Thanks for your help:)
    Ian

    --
    freakien
    freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

  2. nickjb

    nickjb Guest

    24"sounds the right size for the sort of riding you want to do.

    I'd go for the NimbusII. It'll easily be strong enough for small drops
    and jumps. The cheaper ones might just put you off and the expensive
    ones are overkill (for now :) )

    --
    nickjb
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

  3. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Get a muni. Either the Nimbus muni, or one of the splined ones.

    The Nimbus II is nice but you'll want a different tyre and quite likely
    new pedals if you get into going offroad and jumping up things, which
    will make it pretty much the cost of the nimbus muni. The tyre on the
    nimbus muni is relatively good for sand riding too if you run a low
    pressure.

    I wouldn't buy a learner one, they'll break so quickly once you start
    riding more. The Nimbus ones will last forever if you don't do silly
    big drops.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

  4. GILD

    GILD Guest

    freakien wrote:
    > I have learned to ride

    That's one more of us and one less of them.

    Welcome to the fora.
    If at all possible, find unicyclists in your neck of the woods and see
    if you can try out a couple of unis before you make the final
    decision.
    So far the 24" sounds like the best bet for the kind of riding you
    mentioned, you may want to look at something just a touch bigger if you
    are going to more distance riding.
    If you can try out a couple of different unis, your decision will just
    be that much more informed.
    A majority of unicyclists will happily let you 'have a go'.

    freakien wrote:
    > kite-unicycling anyone?

    Check out 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/9fudw).

    I see the link for the image isn't working anymore, you can see the
    device in a picture attached by GizmoDuck towards the bottom of page
    two of that thread.

    'This thread' (http://tinyurl.com/dxkv3) shows some pics that may be
    closer to what you had in mind.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  5. Loosemoose

    Loosemoose Guest

    Where abouts in Wales are you? Cathwood on these forums is from
    Prestatyn in N Wales, and there are a few outhers about. If you can
    make it there's a meeting of unicyclists in Devon a week on saturday,
    there'll be loads of unicycles there for you to try out! I'm going to
    be there, as are Amanda & Bishop, so there should be a few varied
    unicycles for you to try out.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
    Officially a  & ~ expert.

    _no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
    Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
    Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

  6. freakien

    freakien Guest

    cheers for the replys

    GUILD - thanks for the links + advice

    anybody fancy lettin me have a go on your ride? - i live in Newport
    S.Wales and drive up + down the the coast kiting - swap you for a go on
    a kite if you like?

    nickjb - thanks, i keep coming back to the Nimbus cycles (I see you
    live in Cardiff:rolleyes: ;) )

    joemarshall - thanks too, but whats a 24 x 3.0" Duro Wildlife Leopard
    tyre like to ride on the street? i find MTB tyres a wierd an sketchy
    when banking on the street sometimes (on my MTB) - on the other side of
    that, the Hookworm tyre on Nimbus II + X doesn't look much cop for dirt
    - which is the best allround tyre?

    thanks again

    --
    freakien

    :D :p :) ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused: :( :eek:
    freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

  7. freakien

    freakien Guest

  8. Loosemoose

    Loosemoose Guest

    Damn, I even copied the link to put in that post, and never put it in,
    lol...

    'Details of SWUM 8' (http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum8.html)

    It'll be worth it, lots of hockey and other silly games to play.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
    Officially a  & ~ expert.

    _no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
    Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
    Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

  9. markf

    markf Guest

    my advice 24 inch muni. it's the best for all the things you want. even
    something unsplined would be fine for a while. just get a good frame.
    though i'm a similar size/weight and i probably should've gotten
    splines.

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  10. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    freakien wrote:

    > joemarshall - thanks too, but whats a 24 x 3.0" Duro Wildlife Leopard
    > tyre like to ride on the street? i find MTB tyres a wierd an sketchy
    > when banking on the street sometimes (on my MTB) - on the other side of
    > that, the Hookworm tyre on Nimbus II + X doesn't look much cop for dirt
    > - which is the best allround tyre?

    I think the Duro is the same as the Halo contra. If so, it's okay to
    ride on the road, much better than a nokian Gazaloddi which is the
    other popular muni tyre. It's a rounded cross section, which makes it
    turn okay. The only downside is it will wear a bit quicker than a
    smooth tyre and will roll a bit slower. It's a very nice tyre for
    jumping off things / riding down steps etc. and riding muni.

    I guess you already know if you ride bikes, but you're right near
    Cwmcarn, which has what are apparently very fun man-made mtb trails to
    ride, although you might need a bit of practice before you go there on
    your muni!

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  11. nickjb

    nickjb Guest

    A 24"x3 is great for off-road riding. The big tyre just soaks up the
    bumps and roots. On the road they can be a bit sketchy, you don't feel
    quite so connected (This is a much bigger deal on a uni than on a bike
    as well). Once you are experienced it isn't a massive issue but it'll
    make learning a lot harder. A slick tyre on the road is a lot nicer.
    Changing tyres isn't a big deal as long as you have enough frame
    clearance.

    You'll eventually find what you really need is a range of unicycles for
    different occasions. Most of us on here have a few. :D

    If you want a ride on some of mine then drop me a line. I've got a
    20", 24"x3 and a 28" under the stairs.

    --
    nickjb
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

  12. nickjb

    nickjb Guest

    I forgot to add... Something between a 24"x3 and a slick would probably
    suit you fine but i'm not sure what that would be. Give Roger at
    unicycle.co.uk a ring, he is pretty knowledgeable about these things.
    He'll also let you change tyres, pedals, etc and price accordingly.

    --
    nickjb
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

  13. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    i thinnk you should go with the nimbus x. it looks perfect for the
    riding your doing. the tire should be fine unless you are planning to
    do muni or something. no unicycle tire will do good on the beach but if
    im wrong someone correct me.
    NIMBUS X!!!
    Riley

    --
    manon1wheel

    now im lvl 6!
    -.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  14. freakien

    freakien Guest

    hey GUILD,

    seems a couple o' guys I know have met David Britten
    did some fishin on the kite forum and......

    http://tinyurl.com/7oe9d

    thanks for the uni advice, to all who replied
    the money's burnin a hole in my pocket, so i'm gonna talk to someone @
    UDC tomorrow to nail it down
    it's between the Nimbus X + Nimbus Muni - but that Onza's still lookin
    so good:eek: - no stop it.....:(
    :rolleyes:
    ;)

    --
    freakien

    :D :p :) ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused: :( :eek:
    freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

  15. GILD

    GILD Guest

    freakien wrote:
    > it's between the Nimbus X + Nimbus Muni - but that Onza's still lookin
    > so good:eek: - no stop it.....

    Do you only have one kite?
    I didn't think so...

    freakien wrote:

    > seems a couple o' guys I know have met David Britten
    > did some fishin on the kite forum and......
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/7oe9d

    Kewl link, thanx for posting that.
    I thought this pic just too kewl not to repost here.
    Someone on that forum mentioned an 8ft uni, the one in the pic looks
    like a 6 footer.

    |Filename: DavidBritten.jpg |

    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  16. wobblyjohn

    wobblyjohn Guest

    GILD wrote:
    > And whatever happened to this 'David Brittain '
    > (http://tinyurl.com/bzrya)guy?
    > Does he still ride/fly?

    I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Broughton beach, it was, right next to
    the big boat launch, across Marine Drive from the airport. Best wind in
    Portland! Little chance I could have missed this event, being a
    hopeless kite bum at the time.
    As one post later in the linked thread states:

    > When he concentrates on
    > flying, nothing else exists. This is not to say that he doesn't see the
    > people
    > around him, he just sees them as obstacles rather than social events,

    I am going to disagree with this. David was just fooling around, merely
    riding his kite buggy backwards on two wheels while juggling and so
    forth, until bikini clad spectators appeared. That's when the
    unicycle/traction kite/juggling started.
    I'm glad someone got a picture of that.

    Oddly enough, meeting David Brittain is what got me thinking about
    unicycling in the first place!

    --
    wobblyjohn
    wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

  17. freakien

    freakien Guest

    GILD wrote:
    > Do you only have one kite?
    > I didn't think so....

    I have 4 kites (range from 3 sqm to 8.5 sqm) - EDIT : I see your
    point:(

    GILD wrote:

    > Someone on that forum mentioned an 8ft uni, the one in the pic looks
    > like a 6 footer.

    Us kiters are prone to exageration when it comes to hight :rolleyes:
    especialy when it comes to jumps ;)

    Though i have to say Glen (Butch) + Mark (monkeyvizion ) are two of the
    most full on kiters u are ever likely meet!

    --
    freakien

    :D :p :) ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused: :( :eek:
    freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

  18. GILD

    GILD Guest

    Have you checked out the 'Unicycling Roster'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/roster/)?

    It's a resource to help unicyclists find other riders in their area.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  19. freakien