Advice Please

freakien

Guest
I did have access to a cheep uni once a week, for a few hours, but now I
have to buy one to continue learning

I'm 6 ft tall and 16 1/2 stone (about 230 lbs) - I have learned to ride
forwards and turn + come back - still all abit randomly :rolleyes: - no
freemount as yet - but my dismounts are often spectacular ;)

I want an all rounder (difficult I know:eek: ) - I want to...
-bomb arround town, hop up + down curbs, maybe steps later ???:eek:
-but also must be able to handle some off road in the parks too,
-and I want to ride on the beach when there is no wind for
kite-buggying.
(kite-unicycling anyone :eek: )
I've think i'm fixed on a 24" wheel - but tell me if you think
otherwise

Ok, i've read quite alot of newbee stuff on here but i'm still
undecided about what to buy....Do I.....

A - Buy cheep learner (£50-£100) - Kill it - but find out what i really
want out of a uni and then buy good one? -

Learner http://tinyurl.com/9c2ft
Adult Learner http://tinyurl.com/ctqxx

B - Buy an intermediate uni (£120-£160) - That will be good quality +
last well, as long as i don't learn to do 2-3 ft drops -

NimbusII http://tinyurl.com/6t8qs
NimbusX http://tinyurl.com/cxk3w
NimbusMuni http://tinyurl.com/3gd9k

C - Buy a splined hub uni (£190 - £250) - overkill for a learner - but
will probably last me forever -

Qu-ax Splined http://tinyurl.com/7cex2
Onza Muni http://tinyurl.com/88jt3
KH CroMo Muni http://tinyurl.com/bqad7

I can afford A + B, but C will break the bank!!

Any onther options I've missed? (UK kit only)
Thanks for your help:)
Ian

--
freakien
freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

Get a muni. Either the Nimbus muni, or one of the splined ones.

The Nimbus II is nice but you'll want a different tyre and quite likely
new pedals if you get into going offroad and jumping up things, which
will make it pretty much the cost of the nimbus muni. The tyre on the
nimbus muni is relatively good for sand riding too if you run a low
pressure.

I wouldn't buy a learner one, they'll break so quickly once you start
riding more. The Nimbus ones will last forever if you don't do silly
big drops.

Joe

--
joemarshall

freakien wrote:
> I have learned to ride

That's one more of us and one less of them.

Welcome to the fora.
If at all possible, find unicyclists in your neck of the woods and see
if you can try out a couple of unis before you make the final
decision.
So far the 24" sounds like the best bet for the kind of riding you
mentioned, you may want to look at something just a touch bigger if you
are going to more distance riding.
If you can try out a couple of different unis, your decision will just
be that much more informed.
A majority of unicyclists will happily let you 'have a go'.

freakien wrote:
> kite-unicycling anyone?

Check out 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/9fudw).

I see the link for the image isn't working anymore, you can see the
device in a picture attached by GizmoDuck towards the bottom of page
two of that thread.

'This thread' (http://tinyurl.com/dxkv3) shows some pics that may be
closer to what you had in mind.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
(http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
_if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

Where abouts in Wales are you? Cathwood on these forums is from
Prestatyn in N Wales, and there are a few outhers about. If you can
make it there's a meeting of unicyclists in Devon a week on saturday,
there'll be loads of unicycles there for you to try out! I'm going to
be there, as are Amanda & Bishop, so there should be a few varied
unicycles for you to try out.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

cheers for the replys

GUILD - thanks for the links + advice

anybody fancy lettin me have a go on your ride? - i live in Newport
S.Wales and drive up + down the the coast kiting - swap you for a go on
a kite if you like?

nickjb - thanks, i keep coming back to the Nimbus cycles (I see you
live in Cardiff:rolleyes: ;) )

joemarshall - thanks too, but whats a 24 x 3.0" Duro Wildlife Leopard
tyre like to ride on the street? i find MTB tyres a wierd an sketchy
when banking on the street sometimes (on my MTB) - on the other side of
that, the Hookworm tyre on Nimbus II + X doesn't look much cop for dirt
- which is the best allround tyre?

thanks again

--
freakien

:D :p :) ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused: :( :eek:
freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

Damn, I even copied the link to put in that post, and never put it in,
lol...

'Details of SWUM 8' (http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum8.html)

It'll be worth it, lots of hockey and other silly games to play.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

my advice 24 inch muni. it's the best for all the things you want. even
something unsplined would be fine for a while. just get a good frame.
though i'm a similar size/weight and i probably should've gotten
splines.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

freakien wrote:

> joemarshall - thanks too, but whats a 24 x 3.0" Duro Wildlife Leopard
> tyre like to ride on the street? i find MTB tyres a wierd an sketchy
> when banking on the street sometimes (on my MTB) - on the other side of
> that, the Hookworm tyre on Nimbus II + X doesn't look much cop for dirt
> - which is the best allround tyre?

I think the Duro is the same as the Halo contra. If so, it's okay to
ride on the road, much better than a nokian Gazaloddi which is the
other popular muni tyre. It's a rounded cross section, which makes it
turn okay. The only downside is it will wear a bit quicker than a
smooth tyre and will roll a bit slower. It's a very nice tyre for
jumping off things / riding down steps etc. and riding muni.

I guess you already know if you ride bikes, but you're right near
Cwmcarn, which has what are apparently very fun man-made mtb trails to
ride, although you might need a bit of practice before you go there on
your muni!

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

A 24"x3 is great for off-road riding. The big tyre just soaks up the
bumps and roots. On the road they can be a bit sketchy, you don't feel
quite so connected (This is a much bigger deal on a uni than on a bike
as well). Once you are experienced it isn't a massive issue but it'll
make learning a lot harder. A slick tyre on the road is a lot nicer.
Changing tyres isn't a big deal as long as you have enough frame
clearance.

You'll eventually find what you really need is a range of unicycles for
different occasions. Most of us on here have a few. :D

If you want a ride on some of mine then drop me a line. I've got a
20", 24"x3 and a 28" under the stairs.

--
nickjb
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

I forgot to add... Something between a 24"x3 and a slick would probably
suit you fine but i'm not sure what that would be. Give Roger at
unicycle.co.uk a ring, he is pretty knowledgeable about these things.
He'll also let you change tyres, pedals, etc and price accordingly.

--
nickjb
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

i thinnk you should go with the nimbus x. it looks perfect for the
riding your doing. the tire should be fine unless you are planning to
do muni or something. no unicycle tire will do good on the beach but if
im wrong someone correct me.
NIMBUS X!!!
Riley

--
manon1wheel

now im lvl 6!
-.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

hey GUILD,

seems a couple o' guys I know have met David Britten
did some fishin on the kite forum and......

http://tinyurl.com/7oe9d

thanks for the uni advice, to all who replied
the money's burnin a hole in my pocket, so i'm gonna talk to someone @
UDC tomorrow to nail it down
it's between the Nimbus X + Nimbus Muni - but that Onza's still lookin
so good:eek: - no stop it.....:(
:rolleyes:
;)

--

freakien wrote:
> it's between the Nimbus X + Nimbus Muni - but that Onza's still lookin
> so good:eek: - no stop it.....

Do you only have one kite?
I didn't think so...

freakien wrote:

> seems a couple o' guys I know have met David Britten
> did some fishin on the kite forum and......
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7oe9d

Kewl link, thanx for posting that.
I thought this pic just too kewl not to repost here.
Someone on that forum mentioned an 8ft uni, the one in the pic looks
like a 6 footer.

|Filename: DavidBritten.jpg |

GILD wrote:
> And whatever happened to this 'David Brittain '
> (http://tinyurl.com/bzrya)guy?
> Does he still ride/fly?

I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Broughton beach, it was, right next to
the big boat launch, across Marine Drive from the airport. Best wind in
Portland! Little chance I could have missed this event, being a
hopeless kite bum at the time.
As one post later in the linked thread states:

> When he concentrates on
> flying, nothing else exists. This is not to say that he doesn't see the
> people
> around him, he just sees them as obstacles rather than social events,

I am going to disagree with this. David was just fooling around, merely
riding his kite buggy backwards on two wheels while juggling and so
forth, until bikini clad spectators appeared. That's when the
unicycle/traction kite/juggling started.
I'm glad someone got a picture of that.

Oddly enough, meeting David Brittain is what got me thinking about
unicycling in the first place!

--
wobblyjohn
wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

GILD wrote:
> Do you only have one kite?
> I didn't think so....

I have 4 kites (range from 3 sqm to 8.5 sqm) - EDIT : I see your
point:(

GILD wrote:

> Someone on that forum mentioned an 8ft uni, the one in the pic looks
> like a 6 footer.

Us kiters are prone to exageration when it comes to hight :rolleyes:
especialy when it comes to jumps ;)

Though i have to say Glen (Butch) + Mark (monkeyvizion ) are two of the
most full on kiters u are ever likely meet!

--
freakien

:D :p :) ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused: :( :eek:
freakien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11437

Have you checked out the 'Unicycling Roster'
(http://www.unicycling.org/roster/)?

It's a resource to help unicyclists find other riders in their area.