Advice please...

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by archermd, May 1, 2007.

1. archermd

archermd New Member

My 1st post here. The site seems so much like BikeForums, but I will post this here and see what happens: I am new to biking. Overweight, but going to the gym (mostly treadmill and some light free weights) and already down 20 lbs. Now I want to try biking. Maybe it will be better for my old sore lower back (45 yrs old but my weight and lack of recent exercise and multiple bad discs have caused some discomfort), bad knees, and sore hips. I am torn. Willing to spend $1000 - 2000. Road vs hybrid vs cyclecross is the issue, and carbon vs aluminum. I will be on the road mostly, but what if I hit a dirt road or... gravel. Then the skinny road tires will be a poblem. And skinny tires are not as stable or foregiving for a newbie like me, or am I wrong here? The road bike with dropped/curved handlebars will offer more hand position options, but will this be a good bike in the long run. I can hear y'all now: no one bike can do it all. My current shopping has me looking at the following bikes: Trek 7.5FX Livestrong, Trek XO1 or XO2, Trek Pilot (which one?), Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Sequoia Elite, Specialized Tricross with triple front gear, Specialize Roubaix with triple front gear. My local bike shop obviously is big on these 2 companies, and frankly at this price point and higher they are carrying more Specialized bikes than Trek. So, please sned some advice. I want to get out there and ride.

Tags:

2. geo8rge

geo8rge New Member

Folding bikes are very practical interms of storage and transportation. Xooter.com Swoft, Dahon Mu Xl, and Bike Friday are what I would recommend you look at. I think you will ride a folding bike much more than a regular bike.

The stock tires the bikes come with probably will suit you. You can buy an additional wheelset with thicker tires at some point in the future.

3. archermd

archermd New Member

I have not even looked at these and the local shop has not suggested them either. Price range? I will look on-line. Do you know if this forum connected to BikeForums?

4. Aeliel

Aeliel New Member

You sound like a good canidate for a recumbent. It's easy on the back and forces you to spin up hills which puts less strain on your knees. Something like a RANS Force 5 Enduro would be a good choice among many. It's a quick bike, comfortable and has tires that can handle a variety of terrain.

I have nothing against upright bikes but if you are looking for comfort (and fun) a bent is hard to beat.

5. archermd

archermd New Member

Of all the options out there, this is not what I am looking for. It is a nice suggestion, but I really want a full size upright, just not sure which... thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

6. archermd

archermd New Member

Still shopping. So I am thinking of a Specialized Tricross (is it too heavy? Would 28 tires be a better compromise?) or Specialized Sequoia Elite or Roubaix, or a Trek XO1 or Trek 7.5FX Livestrong. Still can't get my head around tire size, handlebars, and best compromise for a beginner on the road, who may hit rist road or small gravel from time to time. PLEASE SENE MORE REPLEIS. I want to buy a bike this weekend... Local shop has those 2 brands. Do I need to go elsewhere to see Cannondale, Giant, Bianchi, oh my head is swimming...