Advice please?

John Clayton

Guest
A family of three generations, mostly idle, I'm the only able cyclist.
We'd like somewhere scenic, we live in West Riding, not fussed about
locfatiion, just fancy a nice (say) 5 day holiday.
Undemanding but interesting. Somewheere interesting to stay, alcohol is OK
but not desperately necessary.
Any notion where we ought to look at?
Many thanks to anyone brave enough.
John

John Clayton wrote:
> A family of three generations, mostly idle, I'm the only able cyclist.
> We'd like somewhere scenic, we live in West Riding, not fussed about
> locfatiion, just fancy a nice (say) 5 day holiday.
> Undemanding but interesting. Somewheere interesting to stay, alcohol is OK
> but not desperately necessary.
> Any notion where we ought to look at?
> Many thanks to anyone brave enough.
> John

When? (Not for the Easter break I hope. Have you seen the forecast - 5 on
the Brass-Monkey scale!)

Do you actually want a 5-day cycling holiday?

What sort of accommodation?
B+B? Caravan? Camping? One fixed place or tour? Will you organise it or
would you like a cycle-holiday-touring company to do it for you?

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

"John Clayton" <[email protected]> writes:

> A family of three generations, mostly idle, I'm the only able cyclist.
> We'd like somewhere scenic, we live in West Riding, not fussed about
> locfatiion, just fancy a nice (say) 5 day holiday.
> Undemanding but interesting. Somewheere interesting to stay, alcohol is OK
> but not desperately necessary.
> Any notion where we ought to look at?
> Many thanks to anyone brave enough.
> John

<http://www.cycling-for-softies.co.uk/>

Not cheap, but good.

"John Clayton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A family of three generations, mostly idle, I'm the only able cyclist.
> We'd like somewhere scenic, we live in West Riding, not fussed about
> locfatiion, just fancy a nice (say) 5 day holiday.
> Undemanding but interesting. Somewheere interesting to stay, alcohol is
> OK but not desperately necessary.
> Any notion where we ought to look at?
> Many thanks to anyone brave enough.
> John

Norfolk. North Norfolk coast. Lots of beaches with golden sand. Miles to
walk (Norfolk Coastal Path). Loads of pubs, restaurant, quaint villages.
Lots of stately homes to wander about. Castle ruins, forest, steam
railways...Plenty of gentle cycling aound a myriad of country lanes with
very little motorised traffic for the most part.

John Clayton wrote:

> A family of three generations, mostly idle, I'm the only able cyclist.
> We'd like somewhere scenic, we live in West Riding, not fussed about
> locfatiion, just fancy a nice (say) 5 day holiday.
> Undemanding but interesting. Somewheere interesting to stay, alcohol is
> OK but not desperately necessary.
> Any notion where we ought to look at?

Waffly's suggestion of her home turf has merit. It's very flat, which is
easier for inexperienced cyclists. But I'd throw in a plea for my home
turf, too. We have much more scenery, much quieter roads, and (of course)
the excellent 7 Stanes (which, for kids (and big kids) can't be beat). A
lot of that scenery is Not Flat, but if you were to base yourself in (e.g.)
Castle Douglas, you can get all the way up to New Galloway and down to the
coast without having to climb a hill.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=275500&y=563500&z=5
http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/

... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Waffly's suggestion of her home turf has merit. It's very flat, which is
> easier for inexperienced cyclists.

It's broadly flattish compared to hilly places, which isn't the same
thing as "very flat". Move over to the Fens if you want "very flat".
Perhaps I can claim extraordinary circumstances as when we were there
was Summer '06 when it was roughly 5,000 degrees C, but both of us were
on our small chain rings[1] a fair few times, and I strongly suspect
we'd have been on them even if the temperatures had been normal.

> But I'd throw in a plea for my home
> turf, too. We have much more scenery, much quieter roads, and (of course)
> the excellent 7 Stanes (which, for kids (and big kids) can't be beat). A
> lot of that scenery is Not Flat, but if you were to base yourself in (e.g.)
> Castle Douglas, you can get all the way up to New Galloway and down to the
> coast without having to climb a hill.

Not that Simon's suggestion is at all bad, mind. Probably more awkward
to get to for most folk though.

We may be passing that way ourselves later this year... maybe at a
wedding in Belfast in early August and looking at tour possibilities
either end of the ferry.

Pete.

[1] Roos only has the one chain ring, but was using 1st on the DualDrive
hub which amounts to pretty much the same thing
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

John Clayton wrote:
> A family of three generations, mostly idle, I'm the only able cyclist.
> We'd like somewhere scenic, we live in West Riding, not fussed about
> locfatiion, just fancy a nice (say) 5 day holiday.
> Undemanding but interesting. Somewheere interesting to stay, alcohol is OK
> but not desperately necessary.
> Any notion where we ought to look at?
> Many thanks to anyone brave enough.
> John

Following a theme for home spots... I'd recommend North (as opposed to
West) Riding - something in the Helmsley area gives you the joys of the
North York Moors and the nearby sea/beaches.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>