Advice - Prorace Compact Carbon Chainset

rek said:
317 AUD for the Prorace carbon compact eh.. if you're going to spend that much, personally I'd go for one of the compact cranksets with the external-bearing style bottom brackets, like:
Yeah fair call. I'm running Campy Centaur. Would the FSA be compatible. What I liked about the Prorace was that it was compatible with my BB, saving me about $100 there. In all, a fair bit cheaper than the FSA and carbon. Would the difference in quality between the brands make it justifiable?

nitrous said:
Yeah fair call. I'm running Campy Centaur. Would the FSA be compatible. What I liked about the Prorace was that it was compatible with my BB, saving me about $100 there. In all, a fair bit cheaper than the FSA and carbon. Would the difference in quality between the brands make it justifiable?

If cost is a factor, I would get a Campy Centaur or Veloce aluminum compact. The performance will be similar to the carbon and will only weigh about 65g more and you get to stay Campy.

If you really want carbon, the Centaur compact carbon is going to be getting cheap as well with the new Campy stuff coming out for 2007-and the Centaur compact carbon is 65gm lighter than the Prorace. I have seen them on eBay buy it now for as little as $259 USD.

Both these options let you keep the BB.

John M said:
If cost is a factor, I would get a Campy Centaur or Veloce aluminum compact. The performance will be similar to the carbon and will only weigh about 65g more and you get to stay Campy.

If you really want carbon, the Centaur compact carbon is going to be getting cheap as well with the new Campy stuff coming out for 2007-and the Centaur compact carbon is 65gm lighter than the Prorace. I have seen them on eBay buy it now for as little as $259 USD.

Both these options let you keep the BB.
Yep - agree. The Centaur Aluminium is only $135 AUD on PBK and weight/carbon is not a huge consideration for me. 65g is hardly worth $200. Will check out compacts on eBay and may even wait till 2007 comes out. By then I may need a new BB anyway and will shift to the new hollow BB.

nitrous said:
Where are you buying from? If it is probikekit, go for the R700. It is much stiffer than the gossamer and MUCH stiffer than the carbon. The only stiff carbon cranks, really, are the TIME cranks, or maybe stonglight, THM and Deda but those prices are a bit more than you are looking at. A compatible bottom bracket can be purchased for around $45 for a Dura-Ace or $38 for 105. The R700 is a good option.