Advice Re. Buying Road Bike for Older Guy

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by bluehawk, Jan 25, 2010.

1. bluehawk

bluehawk New Member

Hi : I am in my mid 60s looking to upgrade my road bike, an old Peugeot, to a more recent vintage bike. I am a smaller guy, 5'6" & 130 lbs. I am pretty fit and would be doing recreational riding, mostly. Some day trips maybe.
    All recommendations , advice will be appreciated. I would like to buy a used bike if possible, new bike advice welomed as well.
    Thanks for your help.
    cheers

Tags:

2. new_rider

new_rider New Member

Please be more specific about which used/new bikes you are interested in, i.e., brand, type of bike.

3. bluehawk

bluehawk New Member

I am interested in a road bike. used and new, would like opinions/advice from other cyclists.
    thanks

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

I have no idea what's available in your area or how much you want to spend, but lines that might interest you are Specialized Roubaix and Secteur; Gary Fisher Cronus and Rail; Giant Defy; Felt Z; Cannondale Synapse; and Scott CR1 and Speedster. Have I left anyone out?

These lines all have low to moderately priced bikes built around an "endurance" geometry, some more than others. That means the fit can be a little more upright and the ride a little smoother.

At this moment the Scott Speedster 20 is my price-performance favorite--the aluminum frame rides like carbon, it's very nicely equipped, and the geometry should work for a wide range of riders. But all of these bikes have their merits. Disclosure--I sell Scott and Fisher.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You need to indicate what your budget is.

Also, what is wrong with your current Peugeot?

How old is it?

Does your current bike fit you?