Advice re wheels please

Nope, thought it was the 10 spd 11-32T cassette, but it was something else. Blinking well lost in the mail .. bah. i will let you know when it arrives. I guess it is the price you pay for a special price ... Hmmm :-(

Originally Posted by KLabs .

A question ... at a stretch, do you think it would be possible to use an 11-34T cassette?
Sorry for this belated response ... I lost track of this thread & missed the question ...

Yes, with a 10t upper pulley wheel, a 34t largest cog can be handled by a Shimano ROAD rear derailleur (as shown, below):

You may be able to use a cassette with a 34t cog without changing the upper pulley wheel if you adjust the 'B' screw so that the parallelogram is canted in a more downward direction -- however, a frame which has an older Campagnolo dropout & minimal derailleur hanger drop was only capable of handling an 11-32 cassette despite installing a 10t upper pulley wheel AND adjusting the 'B' screw:

Nonetheless, I suspect you may ([COLOR= #808080]but, no promises![/COLOR]) be able to use a cassette whose largest cog is 36t if you use a 10t upper pulley wheel AND make adjustments to the 'B' screw.

Very, very nice alfeng, super amazing :) I have got the DA RD, with Token sealed bearing/alloy 10T pulley wheels, ready. Just waiting for the 11-32T cassette to arrive. Although it would appear it hasn't left as yet?

Perhaps I should change the order to an 11-34T, since it hasn't left as yet. What do you think?

Is that a 105 RD?

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Quote: Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .

Standard cable routing with a 9s RD and 10s STI, 10s cogset..., thought that didn't work.
Works like a champ.

Hi swampy1970 and Peter@vecchios, after what you, alfeng, and others have written, I suspect that even the new 10spd MTB RD's will work the 5600, 6600, and 7800 STI's.

Using alfengs 10T pulley idea with an 11-36T sounds very interesting. Last weekend a friend and I were riding some long 17% and 18% climbs. He was on his rode bike and I was on my XC MTB. I was able to ride the climbs easily but he really struggled with them on his 25/39 and had to walk a little. So, when you are tired extra low gearing is certainly helpful :)

Actually, I like the 11-36 because of the sprocket arrangement ... 3rd to 10th is 28T to 11T (for 53T chainring) and 1st to 8th is 36T to 15T(for 39T chainring). Less accidental cross chaining should occur (hopefully), a useful 53T chainring range, and low that should accommodate even 30% climbs (easily) :)

Very, very nice alfeng, super amazing :) I have got the DA RD, with Token sealed bearing/alloy 10T pulley wheels, ready. Just waiting for the 11-32T cassette to arrive. Although it would appear it hasn't left as yet?

Perhaps I should change the order to an 11-34T, since it hasn't left as yet. What do you think?

Is that a 105 RD?
FWIW. It's tough to say whether an 11-32 or 11-34 would be better ... I think that each cassette has a slight advantage over the both ... a 32t is probably low enough bailout gear for most situations ... but, having the choice from BOTH the 30t & 34t to fall back on seems like a good thing rather than just having the 32t cog.

That is a 105 rear derailleur on the steel framed bike ... it replaced a hubbub'd Shimano XTR (950) rear deralleur. I bought the 105 because it was ([COLOR= #808080]at the time[/COLOR]) an untested hypothesis that a 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur which was connected normally was THE SAME as a hubbub'd 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur and I didn't feel like spending more just in case there wasn't any difference from a 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur ...

• The difference between the Ultegra 6603 ([COLOR= #808080]Shimano dropped the 'xx03' designation in favor of GS, but I find it to be more convenient shorthand designation[/COLOR]) and the pictured 105 10-speed rear derailleur is in the pulley wheels + the 105's inner paralleogram is steel instead of alloy.

I suspect that even the new 10spd MTB RD's will work the 5600, 6600, and 7800 STI's.
FWIW. Sight unseen ([COLOR= #808080]by me[/COLOR]), I would guess that Shimano's 10-speed MTB rear derailleur may only be available in the "Shadow" ([COLOR= #ff0000]i.e., Rapid Rise[/COLOR]) configuration ... and, hence, to some that would make the Shimano 10-speed MTB rear derailleur incompatible with the Shimano 10-speed Road components ([COLOR= #808080]if correct, that is[/COLOR]).

IMO, a Rapid Rise rear derailleur on a bike with Shimano ROAD shifters may be A GOOD THING because it is my reckoning ([COLOR= #808080]still untested ... I have everything but the cables attached to one Road bike on which I installed a Rapid Rise XT rear derailleur ... it's a low priority for me[/COLOR]) that having the spring-assisted Rapid Rise shift the chain onto larger cogs will eliminated the occasional balking when a Shimano shifter is under load.

Nope, thought it was the 10 spd 11-32T cassette, but it was something else. Blinking well lost in the mail .. bah. i will let you know when it arrives. I guess it is the price you pay for a special price ... Hmmm :-(
Hi alfeng, they (Wiggle) are kindly resending my order and have wonderfully allowed it to be changed it to an 11-34T cassette. So, they are now an ultra nice company in my eyes. Should take about a week :)

Originally Posted by alfeng .

.... will eliminated the occasional balking when a Shimano shifter is under load.
Never had that happen...

... since 7 speed 105 STI.

I knew that 10 tooth pulley wheel would lead to trouble. ;)

... and here was me thinking that Compact Cranksets were the better solution to dealing with dinner plate sized sprockets for regular rides. A regular cassette with a smaller chainring.

Quote: Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Quote: Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .

Standard cable routing with a 9s RD and 10s STI, 10s cogset..., thought that didn't work.
Works like a champ.

Hi swampy1970 and Peter@vecchios, after what you, alfeng, and others have written, I suspect that even the new 10spd MTB RD's will work the 5600, 6600, and 7800 STI's.

Using alfengs 10T pulley idea with an 11-36T sounds very interesting. Last weekend a friend and I were riding some long 17% and 18% climbs. He was on his rode bike and I was on my XC MTB. I was able to ride the climbs easily but he really struggled with them on his 25/39 and had to walk a little. So, when you are tired extra low gearing is certainly helpful :)

Actually, I like the 11-36 because of the sprocket arrangement ... 3rd to 10th is 28T to 11T (for 53T chainring) and 1st to 8th is 36T to 15T(for 39T chainring). Less accidental cross chaining should occur (hopefully), a useful 53T chainring range, and low that should accommodate even 30% climbs (easily) :)
Not for shimano. the new 10s MTB rear ders are NOT compatible with road STI BUT you can use a 9s MTB shimano RD w/o any problem or modificvtion needed. I have done this on many bikes.

Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .

Not for shimano. the new 10s MTB rear ders are NOT compatible with road STI BUT you can use a 9s MTB shimano RD w/o any problem or modificvtion needed. I have done this on many bikes.
Ah thanks Peter@vecchios, that's a shame :-( but very good news with the Shimano MTB 9s RD :)

Hi alfeng, swampy1970 and Peter@vecchios, do the following alternatives look correct :)

1. 11-32T 10spd MTB cassette with a crankset (39-52/53T) and a GS RD (depends on dropout length)
  2. 11-32T, 11-34T 10spd MTB cassette with a crankset (39-52/53T) and a GS RD with the 11T pulley wheels changed to 10T pulley wheels (11-34T depends on dropout length and 11-36T might be possible)
  3. 11-32T 10spd MTB cassette with a crankset (39-52/53T) and a GS 9spd SLX/XT/XTR MTB RD (M662, M770, M772, M970, M972)
  4. 11-32T or 11-34T 10spd MTB cassette with a crankset (39-52/53T) and a SGS 9spd SLX/XT/XTR MTB RD (M662, M770, M772, M970, M972)
  5. 11-32T, 11-34T or 11-36T 10spd MTB cassette with a crankset (39-52/53T) and a SGS 9spd SLX/XT/XTR MTB RD (M662, M770, M772, M970, M972) with the 11T pulley wheels changed to 10T pulley wheels

Hello,
Thanks for interesting & useful discussion.
I too, am fed up of pushing my bike in steep hills (11-23).
I'm getting the XT 11-34 cassette but keeping my ultegra 6600 GS
Could you tell me what jockey pulley you've got? (model/brand)
On several website, they mention 11t for shimano and 10t for campagnolo. But they don't say if they are interchangeable
Thanks again,
Oliver

Originally Posted by digifant .

Hello,
Thanks for interesting & useful discussion.
I too, am fed up of pushing my bike in steep hills (11-23).
I'm getting the XT 11-34 cassette but keeping my ultegra 6600 GS
Could you tell me what jockey pulley you've got? (model/brand)
On several website, they mention 11t for shimano and 10t for campagnolo. But they don't say if they are interchangeable
Thanks again,
Oliver
Hi digifant, the 10T campagnolo pulley wheels can replace the 11T shimano pulley wheels, just swap them over, they fit perfectly, and it is easy to do. If you can wait, I am doing this tomorrow using an XT 11-34T 10spd cassette, DA GS RD with 10T Token alloy pulley wheels, and I am also going to use an Avid Rollamajig to remove the rear bend in the cable. Hopefully I should have a pic or two to show :)

That is to use one of the new MTB XT Dyna Sys 10 spd 11-34 cassettes with a MTB 9 spd XT(M772) or XTR(M972) GS/SGS RD (which should be index compatible with my DA 7800 STI lever). I am not sure, though, whether to use a GS Medium Cage or a SGS Long Cage?

Originally Posted by frankiemuniz01 .

That is to use one of the new MTB XT Dyna Sys 10 spd 11-34 cassettes with a MTB 9 spd XT(M772) or XTR(M972) GS/SGS RD (which should be index compatible with my DA 7800 STI lever). I am not sure, though, whether to use a GS Medium Cage or a SGS Long Cage?
FWIW. IMO, the longer the cage, the better ... so, I would probably choose the SGS because it would allow more crankset-cassette combinations ...

• I did use an XTR 950 SS rear derailleur on my Olmo before changing to a 10-speed 105 GS rear derailleur -- I dd install a 13t LOWER pulley wheel on the XTR rear derailleur to increase the chain capacity.

The GS cage, however, is certainly long enough for most chainring-and-cog combinations you will encounter ... a GS cage may-or-may-not let you use an 11-34 or 11-36 with a "Compact" crankset without having some chain slack.

FYI. 'GS' is the label for the length of long cage Road rear derailleurs which Shimano specs for use with Triple cranks.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Quote: Originally Posted by frankiemuniz01 .

FWIW. IMO, the longer the cage, the better ... so, I would probably choose the SGS because it would allow more crankset-cassette combinations ...

• I did use an XTR 950 SS rear derailleur on my Olmo before changing to a 10-speed 105 GS rear derailleur -- I dd install a 13t LOWER pulley wheel on the XTR rear derailleur to increase the chain capacity.

The GS cage, however, is certainly long enough for most chainring-and-cog combinations you will encounter ... a GS cage may-or-may-not let you use an 11-34 or 11-36 with a "Compact" crankset without having some chain slack.

FYI. 'GS' is the label for the length of long cage Road rear derailleurs which Shimano specs for use with Triple cranks.

Can GS be used with standard and compact doubles or just SS?

Originally Posted by davereo .

Quote: Originally Posted by alfeng .

Quote: Originally Posted by frankiemuniz01 .

Can GS be used with standard and compact doubles or just SS?

Yes -- you can use a derailleur with a GS or SGS cage with either a standard or compact Double ...

Using a rear derailleur with a longer cage simply means that you may be moving a few MORE links of chain than you would if you installed a rear derailleur with an SS cage ...

Of course, you could theoretically have the same length chain with all three cage lengths ...

• if the chain is long enough for a Triple ([COLOR= #808080]for example[/COLOR]) then with the SS cage the chain will be slack in some chainring & cog combinations
  • if the chain is short enough for a Double with a 12-25 cassette ([COLOR= #808080]for example[/COLOR]), then the cage arm will not be cocked all the way back when in the small-small combination.
  • et cetera

A longer cage is more practical, IMO, if you are not racing AND may want to use a cassette with larger cogs from-time-to-time ... a cassette with a smaller largest cog can be swapped in without making any changes whereas a SS cage probably won't have enough chain capacity to use a cog larger than 27t-or-28t..

A longer cage is not acceptable if you are a weight weenie due to the additional links in the chain.

kLabs,
please keep us updated. Can't wait to know how it turned out.
If yours is conclusive, I'll replicate your setup
Thanks!