Advice regarding Hardtails in 800-1100$ range.

beels99

Apr 12, 2004
I am currently looking to get a new MTB considering I am still riding my 2003 Giant Rincon, and have really worn it down and am looking to buy a new MTB for next year. I do some rough riding, but am not planning on doing any racing. My main priority is to get a bike that is durable enough to last me a long time. So far I am considering a Specialized Stumpjumper, Giant XTC 2, Giant Rainier, and Trek 8000. I would like something between 800 and 1100, and If anyone has any personal experierence with these bikes, or knows of other bikes that would work well for me i would appreciate the feedback.

beels99 said:
I am currently looking to get a new MTB considering I am still riding my 2003 Giant Rincon, and have really worn it down and am looking to buy a new MTB for next year. I do some rough riding, but am not planning on doing any racing. My main priority is to get a bike that is durable enough to last me a long time. So far I am considering a Specialized Stumpjumper, Giant XTC 2, Giant Rainier, and Trek 8000. I would like something between 800 and 1100, and If anyone has any personal experierence with these bikes, or knows of other bikes that would work well for me i would appreciate the feedback.
I love buying new bikes (not that I do it a lot but...). All of the bikes mentioned should/will serve you well. Of the ones listed I believe the Trek is the least capable (of aggressive trail riding), but plenty of people ride the hell out of them.

One of my fave buddies to ride with has a two year old Special ed Stumpjumper and it continues to perform great. He has upgraded a few things over that time as he had more cash and the "bug" hit him. It is a reliable bike. The XTC 2 is a solid ride as well and within your range. It seems you'll be fine going with any of them. I believe the best thing to do would be to ride them all (as much as you can) and just get the one you feel the most comfortable and confident on. You have identified decent bikes. I'm not sure you are looking for us to pick one bike, but I would either get the Stumjumper or either Giant (given the options you outlined). Keep in mind that our sport is rough on the bikes (and often us). Things break and the nature of the parts is for them to wear down and eventually need replacing. Things like forks, cranks, rings, chains really get hammered. This is even more true if we do not maintain/clean things regularly (especially the chain/rings).

Another option (to add further confusion) would be to upgrade the components on your Rincon if you like the geometry/fit of the frame. The frame is *almost* identical to the Rainier (it's not, but so close...). For $1K you could completely trick out your existing frame with some *very* sick stuff that would last as long as anything on the market. I do recognize the attraction of just getting a whole new bike though, it's always cool to have new stuff.

Good luck and remember: Have fun!

K.