Advice Requested: Frame up Bike Build

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by FriendlyFred, Dec 23, 2006.

1. FriendlyFred

FriendlyFred New Member

I'm taking on building my first bike, from the frame up. Going with a carbon fiber frame and fork, and Campagnolo Chorus components and wheels. I have all of the parts I need (I think), but have some questions about greasing/ lubing.

1) what sort of grease/ lube should be used?
    2) what are the areas which need to be greased /lubed prior to the components
    being installed?

I'm concerned about this part of the build, for fear I'll get it wrong. I figure the headset, seat post (carbon), and the bottom bracket must be logical spots for lubrication prior to install. But am uncertain about the brakes, and the derailleurs (front and rear).
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

============================================================
    Fun:)
    I would use copper grease.
    I wouldn't worry about greasing the brakes or derailleurs when fitting them - it'll just attract grit and serve no purpose. Derailleurs and brakes are easy enough to remove(if that is your concern) even after years of being on the saome frame.
    Copper grease on the pedal threads too(they can be very difficult to remove).
    Happy build up. :)

3. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Do not grease the carbon, as grease can be corrosive to carbon fiber. I use Loctite Blue on the BB and crank bolts, but grease on the rest of the hardware. Nothing special, just a tube of Park grease that I've had for a few years. Every winter I remove all the components (except cranks and bb), and clean and regrease them.

4. FriendlyFred

FriendlyFred New Member

Thanks for the information, this is great.
    I'm at the point where I can start building, and am really looking forward to it. I've learned alot just through the process of deciding on components. Who knew about bottom bracket sizes and threads :) I can't wait to actually be riding my own built up bike this spring (if not sooner!)

Thanks again for the advice guys.

5. sogood

sogood New Member

Many people use automobile or marine grease instead of those overpriced grease tubes from LBS. They are of equal or better quality for the purpose. For the same price, you can get a tub that'll last a heck of a long time.