Advice requested on Sportif/Touring wheel

njeitner

Sep 2, 2003
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to have a bike built for Audax/Sportif use but with the potential to be used for light weight touring. I expect to limit touring to paved roads for anything up to two weeks.

The geometry will (should) accommodate the different styles of riding. However I'm uncertain about the wheels. When touring I expect to go light weight; titanium coffee cup and one-man tent etc...). My test outings of two/three days indicate that I can get by with a pair of panniers at the back. Although I'm also considering a Y-Frame (www.carryfreedom.com) for something longer.

Given my past experience (competitive cycling) and the intention of using this for sprotifs, I'd like advice on appropriate, responsive wheels?

I'd been considering Open Pros laced to DT Swiss 240s hubs using Sapim CX-Ray's.

njeitner said:
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to have a bike built for Audax/Sportif use but with the potential to be used for light weight touring. I expect to limit touring to paved roads for anything up to two weeks.

The geometry will (should) accommodate the different styles of riding. However I'm uncertain about the wheels. When touring I expect to go light weight; titanium coffee cup and one-man tent etc...). My test outings of two/three days indicate that I can get by with a pair of panniers at the back. Although I'm also considering a Y-Frame (www.carryfreedom.com) for something longer.

Given my past experience (competitive cycling) and the intention of using this for sprotifs, I'd like advice on appropriate, responsive wheels?

I'd been considering Open Pros laced to DT Swiss 240s hubs using Sapim CX-Ray's.
How much do you weigh?
How much will the bicycle weigh without wheels and tires?
What width tires will you use?
Your proposed build sounds like something for racing, with parts that are expensive and high quality. I don't favor Mavic rims. I much prefer Velocity and Ambrosio. Sapim CX-Ray spokes weigh the same as Sapim Laser, but Laser costs significantly less. If it were me I would go for Sapim Race 14/15 DB; heavier but less costs and more stiffness.

daveornee said:
How much do you weigh?
How much will the bicycle weigh without wheels and tires?
What width tires will you use?
Your proposed build sounds like something for racing, with parts that are expensive and high quality. I don't favor Mavic rims. I much prefer Velocity and Ambrosio. Sapim CX-Ray spokes weigh the same as Sapim Laser, but Laser costs significantly less. If it were me I would go for Sapim Race 14/15 DB; heavier but less costs and more stiffness.

Thanks for that,

Yeah your right, pricey and geared towards performance. My winter weight is 84kg and the bike (without wheels) is approx. 7kgs. I'm not familiar with what makes a good sportif/touring wheel as my experience has generally been racing. I guess that's why there's a bias...

I commute on London roads (50km/day) and the Mavic's have stood up remarkably well to what the "ministry of craters" laughingly calls roads. But I heard good things about the velocitys so I'll look into that.

Are there pit falls or "common" things to look for when going for a touring wheel?

njeitner said:
Thanks for that,

Yeah your right, pricey and geared towards performance. My winter weight is 84kg and the bike (without wheels) is approx. 7kgs. I'm not familiar with what makes a good sportif/touring wheel as my experience has generally been racing. I guess that's why there's a bias...

I commute on London roads (50km/day) and the Mavic's have stood up remarkably well to what the "ministry of craters" laughingly calls roads. But I heard good things about the velocitys so I'll look into that.

Are there pit falls or "common" things to look for when going for a touring wheel?
Common things to look for:
1. Quality build
a) Appropriate and well balanced spoke tension
b) Well aligned and stabilized spokes
2. Component selection that meets the rider + load
a) sufficient number of spokes (for you at least 32, if not 36... especially in the rear wheel.
b) Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes
c) Sapim Polyax or Sapim S.I.L.S. nipples
d) quality rims that are suitable for the tire width you will run
e) quality hubs that are serviceable with common bicycle tools and available parts, and are suitable to the weather conditions you ride in. (Shimano MTB hubs from XT down have a nice rubber boot outside... but they come with 135 OLD spacing).
3. If the bicycle handles 135 mm OLD rear, consider using Shimano XT hubs.
4. Shaving grams on the wheels whilst compromising durability is not a good long term choice.