Advice - reversal of stem

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> "David Brown :eek:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Just out of curiousity, why would anyone want disk brakes?
>
> Because they work better :) Of course for the full effect you also need a low centre of gravity
> and minimal wind resistance, so you can go downhill at Ludicrous Speeds and give the discs a
> workout...

You missed out "and three wheels" ;-)

John B

> > I find my Magura hydraulic rim brakes to be wheel stopping good at all times, although stopping
> > the front wheel of a SWB bent at 40 mph is an interesting experience to say the least.
>
> I had them for a Long Time, on a Kingcycle. Now I have Hope discs, which are Even Better (tm).
>

Mag rim brakes are good - but on a mtb used in mud they wear the rims out in no time. Discs give the
same power without the associated regular wheel building.

John

Richard Goodman wrote:
> I am seriously considering buying a new bike - new for me but previously used. It is a beautiful,
> lightweight, custom built bike, a true one-off at a price that is probably worth it just for the
> components alone. But there is one problem. Although standover clearance is fine, it has a very
> long top tube, apparently built for someone with a long upper body in relation to leg length. For
> me, the riding position is really too stretched out. The stem is already as short as it can be. I
> would even consider replacing the frame or seeing if a frame builder could replace top and down
> tubes (its a chro-mo frame) at some point, but I am thinking what if I reversed the stem - as in
> turned it through 180deg, not flipped it, so that the fork is ahead of the handlebars? This would
> bring the bars closer to me but I'm not sure about the effect on handling. I know it would look
> weird, but I don't care about that. I note that recumbents (SWB)generally rely on such a
> configuration, although their geometry is completely different anyway.
>
> Any opinions/experience anyone?
>

It's OK with a very short stem - I even had a one-piece set of bars like this (ie: where the bars a
brazed into the stem). I would imagine that the steering gets increasing awkward as the stem gets
longer. The other problem is the angles: with the stem ponting backwards, it's also going to point
downwards - you probably won't be able to adjust the bars to the corrct height and they might even
foul the top-tube.

--
Andrew Pattle

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:14:09 +0100, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>what if I reversed the stem - as in turned it through 180deg, not flipped it, so that the fork is
>ahead of the handlebars?

My bars are over a foot behind the stem and the bike is perfectly rideable, but I wouldn't do it in
this case. Either strip the components and sell the frame or buy a bike that fits. Sorry.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.