Advice Sought: Entry-level Bike for City/Bike-Path

radargeek

Aug 14, 2003
Hi there-

Based on my proximity to school/work, my general lack of fitness, and my perpetual amazement that I keep finding myself in a car to run short errands (to library, etc.)....

I've decided to get a bike for the first time in >12 years.

Mind you, my last bike was a Huffy MTB abomination given as a HS graduation gift that was just not fun to ride... and I didn't bother reporting it stolen. I was GLAD to be rid of it...

I'm not going to be doing anything major..... just riding back and forth to college 3 days a week ( about 12 city blocks ), and occasional jaunts down the bike path to the library, etc... I have about $400 to spend (which has to include everything down to a new helmet and gloves).

The bikes I'm considering so far:

-Trek 7100 or 7200

Nice looking bike, it's available in a frame size that fits me... much to my annoyance, though-- the LBS that stocks Trek here in town doesn't seem to encourage customers that They Don't Know to try out the bikes... It's a shame, too-- I'll have to go back with some of my hardcore bicyclist friends from work who recommended the place.

-Giant Sedona ST

It's 'light enough' for my purposes, and it felt like it was made for me... I went to the OTHER LBS, explained what I wanted, and they had me on the bike in, oh, about three minutes after I'm in the door... they told me to go ride it for a while, and they'd get a couple other bikes ready for me to try.

In both cases, it looks like I'd be walking out the door with the bike/locks/helmet and all for about $350 at either location.

Any other bikes I should be looking at?
(bonus points if you know of a dealer somewhere near Springfield, Ohio where I can try it out.)

Don't rule out eBay. Sure, go to the bike shop to get the correct fitting etc. but you'll get much more bike for your money if you buy used...

Originally posted by The Joker
Don't rule out eBay. Sure, go to the bike shop to get the correct fitting etc. but you'll get much more bike for your money if you buy used...

I don't feel that I know enough about bicycles at this point in time to avoid getting ripped off on Ebay.

I like the feel of the Sedona, the price is right (closeouts!), and added bonus?

The dealer in question is literally 1/2 mile down the road. Can't beat that for proximity.

Originally posted by Snarl
the new breezers look pretty cool

http://www.breezerbikes.com/home.html

It looks good... but the nearest dealers are over a hour's drive away... warranty service would be a pain.

Anyways, thanks to those who emailed me suggestions.

Despite the admonitions to "go used, you'll get more bike", I just went and got the low-end Giant Cypress ST (basically the Sedona frame with stock narrow tires.)

I don't expect to keep it forever, but it's solid enough that it should last me the next few years.

The one that feels like it is made for you, from the bike shop that will let you ride it -- or go back to that other LBS and see if there's another person a little more user friendly. I've had vastly different experiences at the same bike shop. The real question ih my opinion is whether the Shop In Question only comprehends hard-core cyclists because if you're not one, they're not going to understand your needs now, nor when you've been riding a while.

On the other hand, you do want people who really know bikes. There's a LBS in our town that has friendly sales folks but they do sort of bizarre things when putting bikes to gether.

But either bike will be fun... though, again, I'd ask about thinner tires. If you're not riding on dirt roads, then you're putting a lot of extra effort into shoving those tires over the pavement. I've got some nifty Bontrager 32s on my Giant hybrid and they handle the potholes & gravel, but still cruise nicely over distances. (But the nice thing is, tires are a lot cheaper than a new bike.)

You want what feels good!

I went to one more bike shop... and wound up coming back to the one down the street. (near Springfield Ohio, check out Springfield Cyclery.)

What did I get?
- Cypress ST, with the stock 700x40 tires.
- Giant-branded Topeak rack (shop happily installed it)
- Both cable and U-locks ( yes, it's a 'commute to university' machine.)
- Special ordered helmet, since I have a "Big Head"

Total cost? Just a hair over $300.

I should have rode it directly home... but I went to the library... then to the video store.... then home...

I live only 1/2 mile from the dealer, but put almost 5 miles on it getting home...

Arright :)

You're on your way to total addiction, you know...

Before long you'll have that first 100 miles under your butt and the 10 mile rides will turn into 15, then the 20 to 30..........

Originally posted by Geonz
Arright :)

You're on your way to total addiction, you know...

Before long you'll have that first 100 miles under your butt and the 10 mile rides will turn into 15, then the 20 to 30..........

... it doesn't help matters to look out my front window, see the garage sale across the street, and see them wheel two old road bikes out for the sale.

I now own a Fuji frame with drop bars. Need to replace the wheels/group/seat. (and yes, the FIRST thing I did was verify the seatpost would come out.) $20.