Advice Sought, Please - Car Racks.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ronald Marlowe, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. (Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently - I've seen the error of my ways and have returned
    to cycling after a fifteen-year gap, and I'm desperate to get out and about *now*!)

    I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models to choose from, but all that
    I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.

    I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need for an extra light-board, but
    all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the use of a roof-rack.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA.

    Ron.

    Tags:

  2. >Any suggestions?

    >TIA.

    www.roofbox.co.uk

    They know what they are doing :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Ronald Marlowe wrote:
    > (Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently - I've seen the error of my ways and have
    > returned to cycling after a fifteen-year gap, and I'm desperate to get out and about *now*!)
    >
    > I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models to choose from, but all
    > that I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.
    >
    > I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need for an extra light-board,
    > but all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the use of a roof-rack.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Ron.

    I've been using one on my escort estate for a few years now. It takes 3 bikes and was purchased from
    Halfords. I've had no complaints with it. It did cost a bit more than the low level carriers though.
    --
    Mark

  4. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    i have one for sale - it's a 3 bike halfords job, holds bikes up above number plate and rear lights,
    attaches via straps and hooks. Cost £70, used once, yours for £35 +p&p

    "Ronald Marlowe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently - I've seen the error of
    my
    > ways and have returned to cycling after a fifteen-year gap, and I'm desperate to get out and
    > about *now*!)
    >
    > I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models to choose from, but all
    > that I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.
    >
    > I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need for
    an
    > extra light-board, but all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the use
    > of a roof-rack.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Ron.

  5. Eatmorpies

    Eatmorpies Guest

    > I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models to choose from, but all
    > that I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.
    >
    > I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need for
    an
    > extra light-board, but all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the use
    > of a roof-rack.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I bought mine for 22ukp in Decathlon, France. It's holiday time so you can make it an excuse to go
    to the continent to bring back wine, cheese and bike racks.

    (Now Decathlon are in the UK you may be able to get one in a store near you.)

    John

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Eatmorpies <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models
    > > choose from, but all that I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.
    > >
    > > I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need
    for
    > an
    > > extra light-board, but all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the
    > > use of a roof-rack.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > I bought mine for 22ukp in Decathlon, France. It's holiday time so you can make it an excuse to go
    > to the continent to bring back wine, cheese and
    bike
    > racks.
    >
    > (Now Decathlon are in the UK you may be able to get one in a store near you.)
    >
    > John

    Also, check out Loot, I've seen loads for sale on there, cheap too.

    --
    Mark

  7. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Ronald Marlowe <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]net.com...
    > (Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently - I've seen the error of
    my
    > ways and have returned to cycling after a fifteen-year gap, and I'm desperate to get out and
    > about *now*!)
    >
    > I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models to choose from, but all
    > that I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.
    >
    > I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need for
    an
    > extra light-board, but all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the use
    > of a roof-rack.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Ron.

    Just a thought but, are you sure you need a cycle carrier? When I 1/2 drive
    1/2 cycle to work, I just pop the front wheel off by road bike & sling it in the boot of my Toyota
    Carina saloon with the back seats down. But then it doesn't get muddy & I don't have any
    passengers.

    Russell

  8. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote

    ............... www.roofbox.co.uk................ They know what they are doing :)

    Thanks - they seem very well informed. I shall be giving them a ring today.

    Ron.

  9. "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    "Just a thought but, are you sure you need a cycle carrier?............."

    Hi, Russell. A good thought, but thinking ahead to the summer hols, I feel that car-boot space will
    be at a premium!

    Thanks all the same.

    Ron.

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > >Any suggestions?
    > >
    > >TIA.
    > >

    > www.roofbox.co.uk
    >
    > They know what they are doing :)

    Yep. On reccomendations from this group I ordered a set of Thule roof bars for my jam jar last
    Wednesday week evening on-line and they arrived on Monday as promised. Roofbox were very effecient
    and courteous and the bars cost £16.00 less than H*lfor*ds. Credit where it's due.

    Pete

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Ronald Marlowe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently - I've seen the error of
    my
    > ways and have returned to cycling after a fifteen-year gap, and I'm desperate to get out and
    > about *now*!)
    >
    > I need to buy a bike carrier for my VW Golf Hatchback. Plenty of models to choose from, but all
    > that I've seen would require an additional light/number-plate board.
    >
    > I've been told that "high level" carriers exist that obviate the need for
    an
    > extra light-board, but all my searches have failed to locate any. My circumstances prevent the use
    > of a roof-rack.

    I'm going to post an Auto Express review on cycle racks here next week. Keep an eye out for it..