Road Cycling · Public discussion

Advice sought Sequoia or Highway one

Started by sdorrity · · Last activity · 3 posts · 853 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
31 December 2003
Last activity
4 January 2004
Original author
sdorrity
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
853
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am in the market for a new lightweight, fast bike, but I am reaching that time of life when comfort becomes a big factor. A combination of factors means that I am looking at a more upright riding position.

    The two I have narrowed it down to are:

    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Marin Highway One

    does anyone have any particular comments on either bike?

    All comments gratefully received

    Regards

    Steve D

  2. sdorrity said:


    Specialized Sequoia Elite Marin Highway One

    I picked up a Sequoia Comp this past thanksgiving. I had previously been riding a Lotus Excel
    (~1983). I test rode a number of bikes, some steel, some aluminum. They were all a number of steps
    up from my old bike, then I tried the Sequoia and just thought "I need this bike!!"

    It was incredibly comfortable. I can no longer spend large portions of my rides on the hoods when on
    my Lotus. My back isn't what it used to be. The Sequoia has a more upright position. Between that
    and the wider bar, it just fit me perfectly (I'm 5' 10'' and about 173 pounds). My thoughts while
    riding up a hill during a test ride was "I'm going to have to find a steeper hill."

    I generally ride 18 to 33 miles a day four to five times a week. I have a rear rack and
    typically have a loaded duffel on it. Occasionally I'll use paniers. So far, I'm really glad I
    bought the bike.

    Hope this info helps.

    Mike

  3. Mike

    Thanks for that, I am definately leaning towards the Sequoia Elite. most of the reports and reviews I have found are positive. I too have problems, mostly neck and shoulders and have started using a recumbent but its not the ideal stead for some of the riding that I do. The most noteable being a trip to do the coast to coast across the pyrenees in September. I have experienced the col du Tourmalet and don't relish it on my 'bent, which is heavy, great for touring but.....

    Thanks for the input

    Regards

    Steve D

    Note: I am posting this again thru cycling forums as I don't think my normal usenet feed is actually doing anything apologies to anyone that gets a double post

    sd

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by zamansky

    Bsdorrity said:


    Specialized Sequoia Elite Marin Highway One

    I picked up a Sequoia Comp this past thanksgiving. I had previously been riding a Lotus Excel
    (~1983). I test rode a number of bikes, some steel, some aluminum. They were all a number of steps
    up from my old bike, then I tried the Sequoia and just thought "I need this bike!!"

    It was incredibly comfortable. I can no longer spend large portions of my rides on the hoods when on
    my Lotus. My back isn't what it used to be. The Sequoia has a more upright position. Between that
    and the wider bar, it just fit me perfectly (I'm 5' 10'' and about 173 pounds). My thoughts while
    riding up a hill during a test ride was "I'm going to have to find a steeper hill."

    I generally ride 18 to 33 miles a day four to five times a week. I have a rear rack and
    typically have a loaded duffel on it. Occasionally I'll use paniers. So far, I'm really glad I
    bought the bike.

    Hope this info helps.

    Mike [/B]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.