Advice to parents

"CoyoteBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That would mean dismounting two cyclists, in a lane of traffic, with
> heavy rucksacks and SPDs, not an easy task.

a) you want panniers, you do (see posts passim :) )

and b) WTF do you mean "not easy to dismount"? Ok, I don't have the heavy
rucksack, but I've never had a problem getting off the bike, and I do use
SPDs.

> Since I've been abused
> numerous times for getting off, walking to the next clear section and
> getting back on, I dont see the difference - the cars see you as queue
> hopping anyway.

To me that's a better argument.

cheers,
clive

On 3 Sep, 16:12, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "CoyoteBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> a) you want panniers, you do (see posts passim :) )

:) Panniers would make my life of carrying a bike up 3 floors hell! A
rucksack makes life a lot easier!

> and b) WTF do you mean "not easy to dismount"? Ok, I don't have the heavy
> rucksack, but I've never had a problem getting off the bike, and I do use
> SPDs.

Ever tried to jump off with a big bag on your back? It has a tendency
to carry on when you want to stop - leading to some tottering around
on the pavement - I do it as little as possible lol.

> > Since I've been abused
> > numerous times for getting off, walking to the next clear section and
> > getting back on, I dont see the difference - the cars see you as queue
> > hopping anyway.

> To me that's a better argument.
>
> cheers,
> clive

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2 Sep, 15:26, Tom Crispin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > I can't forsee a single parent being concerned in the slightest bit by
> > a six or eight year old child cycling on the pavement is a responsible
> > manner.

> True. But he does have to mention it or he could be held up for
> teaching illegal activities without letting the parents know.
>
> > Even the Daily Wail wouldn't bat an eyelid. If you listen to
> > the complaints of pavement cycling, they are not about responsible
> > use, they are about idiots who scoot up onto the pavement to pass
> > traffic jams to shave a few seconds of their journey, or who hurtle
> > the wrong way up one-way streets, using the pavement for their
> > shortcut.

> Whats the difference? Generally a more mature cyclist has the ability
> to stop better than the majority of kids. I know when i was 10 I could
> hit some pretty high speeds (for pedestrians) and yet was quite poor
> at stopping (hence finding myself wrapped round railings and through a
> fence once) but now i could hit higher speeds and stop safer. Also, i
> occasionally use the pavement on the commute, though I shouldnt,
> because it saves me sitting for (literally) 10 minutes to cover a 100m
> stretch of road, with a 15ft wide pavement and only 1 or 2 peds - I
> always come to a stop, hop up the pavement and proceed with caution,
> giving peds the ROW at all times. The thing is you cant really do both
> - you cant claim "kids can use pavements but adults cant" - theres
> just no sensible reasoning for it - the reason for people not riding
> on the pavement is to stop injury to peds, and the risk of that is
> higher with kids due to their inherent poor control.

yup a while back i met a family riding down the hill nr my folks place,
both kid on bike and dad only just stopped, kid really looked out of
control, a few seconds on and they would of struck the car, going way to
fast to attaully stop, safely.

> I dont mind people using pavements, even as a driver I dont mind
> people doing it, but only if they are careful, give way to both peds
> and others when rejoining the road.

yes it's when they go from pavement to road with out checking that it
can get worrying.

but people do dumb things all the time, if they do it on a bike they
likely to hurt them selfs not others. unlike a car etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

"CoyoteBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> AFAIK legally we could push through the traffic
> lanes along the white line to get to the front and its ASL, but car
> drivers REALLY hate that.

Not really had a problem with that approach. I'd expect less grief filtering
through the traffic along the road than hopping on the pavement, and often
it's best to overtake it to do this. May require planning upon approach to
avoid being forced to the left, but that's not too hard.

cheers,
clive

In message <[email protected]>
Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Crispin and his like are doing an invaluable and admirable job in
> training a future generation of cyclists.

Well said!

And very brave of Tim to air his draft in public.

(Get my first training session on the 23rd Sept.... Can't wait! But
shall no longer have to commute to work! Could have done with it 45
yerrs ago - remember now falling off at the bottom of Haymarket! I
don't ride quite so recklessly nowadays, I hope)

--
Charles
Brompton P-type T6 in Motspur Park

In message <[email protected]>
"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> AFAIK legally we could push through the traffic
>> lanes along the white line to get to the front and its ASL, but car
>> drivers REALLY hate that.

> Not really had a problem with that approach. I'd expect less grief filtering
> through the traffic along the road than hopping on the pavement, and often
> it's best to overtake it to do this. May require planning upon approach

Shouldn't the approach to any circumstance allow time for planning?

Tried it deliberately tonight and it felt good, on the A24 from
central London.

--
Charles
Brompton P-type T6 in Motspur Park
LCC; CTC.

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:04:16 +0100, Brian G <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>> If the wording or advice is wrong I'll change it, but you have not
>> convinced me yet. I will re-draft the first sentence to make it wider
>> than just the journey to school
>>
>> Pupils who have successfully completed Level 1 Bikeability will have
>> the skills necessary to make a journey by bicycle in a traffic free
>> environment, such as an accompanied journey to school using cycle
>> paths and pavements or to a local park. Please note that while
>> cycling on the footway is an offence under section 72 of the Highways
>> Act 1835, police and Home Office guidance states that the law should
>> not be applied to "responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to
>> use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to
>> other pavement users when doing so". Children who cycle on the
>> pavement must be taught that pedestrians have absolute priority and
>> that they must give way or stop for all pavement users.

>I still feel this doesn't make it clear that pavement cycling is an
>exceptional concession only for those young children who can't yet gain
>the skills necessary for safe road cycling and that the aim of the
>training scheme is to get them off the pavements and into their rightful
>place in the traffic stream as soon as practicable.
>
>"Traffic free environment" reads to me like "monster-free zone" or
>whatever and re-inforces the shudder factor in relation to road cycling.
> Again I accept that street cycling in London must seem from some
>perspectives to be deeply scary, but embracing the pavement as a get-out
> option is sending the wrong message. Admittedly the Home Office
>guidance is itself deeply unhelpful, but that doesn't mean that people
>with a brain need to follow it.
>
>Read your final sentence in isolation and ask yourself what relation
>that activity bears to cycling. To me it suggests little more than
>pushing a bike while keeping out of everybody's way.

As I see it I have three options.

1. Ignore the issue and not offer advice or suggest cycling to school
as a valid option for young children.

2. Suggest that the road is the only sensible place for cyclists, and
that young children can perfectly safely cycle on the road if
accompanied and followed by a parent. The most compelling argument
for this came from an 11 year old at a Transport for London
Conference. She was asked by a delegate if she thought that chcildren
should be allowed to cycle on the pavement. Her reply went something
like this, "If children have done the training they can cycle on the
road, if they haven't they can cycle on the road with their parents."
An argument against this is that there are many parents who now walk
their young children to school while their child rides their bike, and
encouraging this will encourage cycling to school independently once
they have the skills and experience to ride solo on the road.

3. Suggest that using the pavment is OK for children so long as
consideration is give to other pavement users. The law about pavement
cycling is close to 200 years old, and it is highly unlikely that at
the time of being written the idea of children cycling had been
considered, and the thought of 38 ton lorries on the road some 100
years away. In other words, the law, as it applies to young children,
is a nonsense. Indeed, many European countries ban young children
altogether from the road and insist they ride on the pavement.

"Some national legislations provide that cyclists can only ride on a
road after a certain age. In Switzerland, a cyclist must have at least
the legal age to go to school before he can ride on a road. In
Denmark, children under the age of 6 are not allowed to go by bicycle
unless they are escorted by a person who is 15 years old or older. In
Germany, children must be at least 8 years old with the same
provisions as in Denmark. In Poland, children over 10 years must have
passed a test to be allowed on a road"
http://tinyurl.com/3dm4fl from
http://euroris.swov.nl/knowledge/co...gulations_for_cyclists_and_their_vehicles.htm

Even DfT advice is that young children cycle on the pavement:

Q. Are children allowed to cycle on pavements?
A. Whilst there is no exemption to this law for children, the police
have always used common sense and discretion in exercising their
powers over children cycling on the pavement. Very young children
should not be expected to cycle on the road and we would not recommend
any child does so until they have received cycle training. Enforcement
of cycling on pavements is usually dealt with by a fixed penalty
notice, which cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16.
http://tinyurl.com/2nvkgz from
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/cycling/cyclingpolicyoverview?page=6

IMO it is overwhemlingly compelling that young children cycling on the
pavement is both morally *and* legally acceptable, even if technically
illegal - if that's not a contradiction. In other words, while a
parent could be proscecuted for allowing a young child to cycle on the
pavement, there is zero possibility of a conviction, or any conviction
being upheld on appeal.

This being the case, it comes down to the semantics of my advice to
parents which is clumsy.

Is this better?
==========
Pupils who have successfully completed Level 1 Bikeability will have
the skills necessary to make a journey by bicycle, such as the journey
to school or to a local park, they will not have the skills to cycle
unaccompanied on the road. Whilst cycling on the footway is an
offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835, police and Home
Office guidance states that the law should not be applied to
"responsible cyclists" who "show consideration to other pavement
users". Children who cycle on the pavement must be taught to give way
to pedestrians.
==========
With something similar for Level 2 who are not ready for busier roads,
and Level 3 who are discouraged from using the pavement.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> [...]

> parents which is clumsy.
>
> Is this better?
> ==========
> Pupils who have successfully completed Level 1 Bikeability will have
> the skills necessary to make a journey by bicycle, such as the journey
> to school or to a local park, they will not have the skills to cycle
> unaccompanied on the road. Whilst cycling on the footway is an
> offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835, police and Home
> Office guidance states that the law should not be applied to
> "responsible cyclists" who "show consideration to other pavement
> users". Children who cycle on the pavement must be taught to give way
> to pedestrians.
> ==========
> With something similar for Level 2 who are not ready for busier roads,
> and Level 3 who are discouraged from using the pavement.

<sigh> Life ain't easy. I think this version is much better because it
at least suggests that road cycling will follow, but not just yet. I
have nothing better to suggest and don't envy you the task of getting it
right in this barmy world of ours.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On 3 Sep, 21:04, Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> > to school or to a local park, they will not have the skills to cycle
> > unaccompanied on the road. Whilst cycling on the footway is an
> > offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835, police and Home
> > Office guidance states that the law should not be applied to
> > "responsible cyclists" who "show consideration to other pavement
> > users". Children who cycle on the pavement must be taught to give way
> > to pedestrians.
> > ==========
> > With something similar for Level 2 who are not ready for busier roads,
> > and Level 3 who are discouraged from using the pavement.

> <sigh> Life ain't easy. I think this version is much better because it
> at least suggests that road cycling will follow, but not just yet. I
> have nothing better to suggest and don't envy you the task of getting it

Actually I like this progression too. It follows through with the
parents and children seeing increased responsibility with their skill
level, not just increased locations to ride. (said James, having just
argued that it makes sense to allow some pavement riding....)

CoyoteBoy wrote:
>> 1) This was your experience aged ten, when Tom's advice says ("while
>> this law is highly unlikely to be applied to children showing
>> consideration to other pavement users, they should be
>> discouraged from cycling on the pavement."). Four years between 6 and
>> ten is very nearly half a lifetime. Children are quite used to being
>> allowed to do different things at different ages.

> But the adults, not the kids, will want to ride on the pavement
> claiming if kids can they should be able to as well, and really they
> have a point.

"He can so I should be able to" is not a point. Adults don't get to use
children's playparks, don't get free education, can't spend the day in
workplace creches, are looked at askance if they break down in tears
when they can't have an ice cream, can't buy clothes without paying VAT,
(usually) can't even persuade their parents to wash the said clothes for
them, and are held responsible for crimes they may commit. "When I
became a man, I put away childish things." f you can explain to a
nine-year-old child that "your little sister has to ride on the pavement
but you're a big boy and you can go on the road", there should be no
problem getting a fully grown adult to understand a similar thing.

>> 2) Perhaps if you'd had some good cycle training aged ten you'd have had
>> better cycle control skills ;-)

> No, im afraid at that age your speed and distance judgement abilities
> are still questionable, not a skill as such

This sounds like an argument _against_ forcing them onto the road, to
me. You don't need much more speed/distance judgment to avoid
pedestrians than you do to avoid lampposts, because really they're not
moving that much faster. Deciding whether to pull out of a minor road
in the face of oncoming traffic, that's the tricky one. We teach kids
to be careful when *crossing* roads, not when walking alongside them.

> longer than the time they had their certificate in their hand! Lack of
> speed perception also influences distance/gap judgement, part of the
> reason young kids often bounce off things on bikes and try to fit
> through gaps they cannot.

I think you're not distinguishing "transport cycling" from "playing on
bikes". Cycling to school along the path under parental supervision is
a long way from what we used to get up to when we were a bit older and
they _weren't_ watching.

-dan

On 4 Sep, 00:47, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:
> "He can so I should be able to" is not a point. Adults don't get to use
> children's playparks, don't get free education, can't spend the day in
> workplace creches, are looked at askance if they break down in tears
> when they can't have an ice cream, can't buy clothes without paying VAT,
> (usually) can't even persuade their parents to wash the said clothes for
> them, and are held responsible for crimes they may commit. "When I
> became a man, I put away childish things." f you can explain to a
> nine-year-old child that "your little sister has to ride on the pavement
> but you're a big boy and you can go on the road", there should be no
> problem getting a fully grown adult to understand a similar thing.

But you miss the point. If you have one rule for one and not for the
other you have to prove, in law, that one is different to the other in
principle - i.e. by the way it affects others, and I think you'll find
there is not enough difference to warrant a prosecution. Actually
adults can get free education, can play in kids playparks if they want
- its just not generally not accepted, in much the same way. You wont
see police prosecuting adults for using a kids roundabout in the
public park because although they could enforce some random law
(damage to the property for example) it would be such a waste of time
it would be thrown out of court.

You might be able to get most adults to *understand* it, but if they
dont think its fair (because they see no difference between a kid
riding and an adult riding, bearing in mind a kid riding could be 17
in this case, they wont want to follow that law. Its illegal to run
red light, any adult can understand that, the reason is even more
obvious than the pavement law, but adults do it all the time. I'm not
saying its right, just that that is the case.

> This sounds like an argument _against_ forcing them onto the road, to
> me. You don't need much more speed/distance judgment to avoid
> pedestrians than you do to avoid lampposts, because really they're not
> moving that much faster. Deciding whether to pull out of a minor road
> in the face of oncoming traffic, that's the tricky one. We teach kids
> to be careful when *crossing* roads, not when walking alongside them.

I wouldnt force kids onto the road, but then i wouldnt force adults
onto them either if I had any input. Part of the problem is the
transient and variable nature of the abilities to judge speed and
distance. Some kids are as good as adults at age 10, some adults are
as bad as kids at age 20. So surely it makes sense not to force anyone
who feels a) out of control, b)intimidated by the traffic to remain on
the road. And likewise, if its safe for a kid aged 10 (who miight be
as big as an adult and as capable) to be on the pavement, why not an
adult?

> I think you're not distinguishing "transport cycling" from "playing on
> bikes". Cycling to school along the path under parental supervision is
> a long way from what we used to get up to when we were a bit older and
> they _weren't_ watching.

Sure, cycling with a parent is different, but aged 10 you might be
able to cycle alone or with friends to school. The problem is human
behaviour and abilities, and all vary greatly.

> -dan

> Since we're into "if I had any input" territory, my personal view is
> that the pavements are for pedestrians and people who "move like
> pedestrians": i.e. not much faster than walking/jogging pace, able to
> stop when random things happen, not making disproportionate amounts of
> noise or taking up too much space (I would say that excludes anything
> bigger than a small moped or fitted with an internal combustion engine),
> and able to acknowledge that they _do not have priority over other users
> of the footway_. Provided the niceties are observed and nobody's acting
> like Mr Toad, I don't care whether they're on foot,
> pushing/scooting/wheeling their bike, or on scooters, Heelys or skates.
>
> -dan

I think I'd agree with you totally actually. I think the critical
issue is danger, or right of way, to others. Anyone taking reasonable
care using the pavements should be fine to use them, assuming they
arent in a reasonably powered vehicle, and the regulations should
cover the quality of driving/attitude, not the actual act itself.

On Sep 3, 8:51 pm, Tom Crispin <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:04:16 +0100, Brian G <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >Tom Crispin wrote:

<snip>

> Is this better?
> ==========
> Pupils who have successfully completed Level 1 Bikeability will have
> the skills necessary to make a journey by bicycle, such as the journey
> to school or to a local park, they will not have the skills to cycle
> unaccompanied on the road. Whilst cycling on the footway is an
> offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835, police and Home
> Office guidance states that the law should not be applied to
> "responsible cyclists" who "show consideration to other pavement
> users". Children who cycle on the pavement must be taught to give way
> to pedestrians.
> ==========
> With something similar for Level 2 who are not ready for busier roads,
> and Level 3 who are discouraged from using the pavement.

Hi Tom,

Personally, I'd avoid any mention of the Highways Act, or the guidance
to officers.

I have no doubt that what you say is technically correct, and a
prosecution is very unlikely for "responsible cyclists" etc.

However, if a pupil from your school is riding on the pavement in an
irresponsible manner, or in an area where it is not safe to do so,
they may attract attention from the police, area wardens, or members
of the public (and rightly so). If challenged, or being on the
receiving end of a fine or other fixed penalty notice, their response
is "but Mr Crispin said...".

Apart from any blame that may come in your direction (angry parents
headed your way clutching FPM received by little Johnny in one hand,
your letter in the other), your puplis may read the above as a general
permission to ride on the footway, through parks, shopping precincts
etc.

This may be one to leave to the (un)"common sense" of the parents. I
would suggest:
"Pupils who have successfully completed Level 1 Bikeability will
generally not be ready to cycle unaccompanied on the road. Pupils who
have completed Leve 2 Bikeability may be ready to do so, as long as
your route does not include...." etc.

It's then up to the parents whether to accompany them on the road, or
to allow them to cycle on the footway. You can include somthing along
the lines of "If you would like any further advice on cycling to or
from school, please feel free to contact us ..." etc.

ISTM that you can't draft a wording which covers every level of
ability, every type of bicycle and every route to school.

Just my .02c

bookieb

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:07:59 -0700, bookieb <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>Personally, I'd avoid any mention of the Highways Act, or the guidance
>to officers.
>
>I have no doubt that what you say is technically correct, and a
>prosecution is very unlikely for "responsible cyclists" etc.
>
>However, if a pupil from your school is riding on the pavement in an
>irresponsible manner, or in an area where it is not safe to do so,
>they may attract attention from the police, area wardens, or members
>of the public (and rightly so). If challenged, or being on the
>receiving end of a fine or other fixed penalty notice, their response
>is "but Mr Crispin said...".
>
>Apart from any blame that may come in your direction (angry parents
>headed your way clutching FPM received by little Johnny in one hand,
>your letter in the other), your puplis may read the above as a general
>permission to ride on the footway, through parks, shopping precincts
>etc.
>
>This may be one to leave to the (un)"common sense" of the parents. I
>would suggest:
>"Pupils who have successfully completed Level 1 Bikeability will
>generally not be ready to cycle unaccompanied on the road. Pupils who
>have completed Leve 2 Bikeability may be ready to do so, as long as
>your route does not include...." etc.
>
>It's then up to the parents whether to accompany them on the road, or
>to allow them to cycle on the footway. You can include somthing along
>the lines of "If you would like any further advice on cycling to or
>from school, please feel free to contact us ..." etc.
>
>ISTM that you can't draft a wording which covers every level of
>ability, every type of bicycle and every route to school.
>
>Just my .02c

Thanks.

The letter went out today, and the wording cannot now be changed. I
believe my advice was sound, and do not expect to see a single parent
clucthing a FPN for 'little Johnny' as they cannot be issued to anyone
under the age of 17 or to their parents.

And should I be held legally to account for my advice I would take
great delight in arguing my case all the way to the European Court of
Human rights - if it turned out to be a ECHR issue.

Thanks to everyone for their help with the semantics, I think the
final wording was pretty good.