Advice wanted on cross bike...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tc Rider, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Tc Rider

    Tc Rider Guest

    Just scored a deal on a used Surly Cross Check frame; want to make a budget bad weather/cross/fire
    road bike out of it. Had a couple of questions:

    I was thinking of going with shimano bar end shifters (I'm a Campy guy but they don't have much that
    works for this application), normal road cranks, and XT or LX derailleurs to get access to wider
    gear ratios. Will the Dura-Ace H-bar shifters work with an XT or LX (front & rear)?

    An alternative might be a cheaper Campy drivetrain and with 36/48 chainrings on a mountain crank.
    Anyone have any opinions as to which way flies best?

    Avid Shorty's a good canti to use with road levers?

    Thanks in advance! TC

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, TC Rider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Just scored a deal on a used Surly Cross Check frame; want to make a budget bad weather/cross/fire
    >road bike out of it. Had a couple of questions:
    >
    >I was thinking of going with shimano bar end shifters (I'm a Campy guy but they don't have much
    >that works for this application),

    Ergo shifters? I prefer them to bar-ends when riding on loose surfaces. I suggest Veloce or better.

    > normal road cranks, and XT or LX derailleurs to get access to wider gear ratios. Will the Dura-Ace
    > H-bar shifters work with an XT or LX (front & rear)?

    All the Shimano 9-speed bar-end shifters are interchangeable.

    >An alternative might be a cheaper Campy drivetrain and with 36/48 chainrings on a mountain crank.
    >Anyone have any opinions as to which way flies best?

    Either way will work. A Centaur triple in 30-40-50 gearing is a good fit as well. Shimano 9s cogs
    work fine with Campy derailleur and shifters so your hub and cogset choices are not constrained by
    using a Campagnolo derailleur.

    >Avid Shorty's a good canti to use with road levers?

    Yes, all cantilevers work with road brake levers, only v-brakes require trickery.

    It can be nice to use Campy brake levers with cantilevers since the QR is built into the lever
    instead of the caliper.

    --Paul

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "TC Rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Avid Shorty's a good canti to use with road levers?

    work dandy.