Advice wanted

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by TiNcAn, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. TiNcAn

    TiNcAn Guest

    Hi, i'm new to unicycling. I have a learner unicycle which i can now
    ride around the street and mount without support. That is what I am up
    to so far. I would like some advice as to what unicycle i should get
    next. I want to get a decent one but I don't think I will get a KH or
    something similiar yet unless you can convince me it's worth it/I need
    it.

    I wanted to know if I should get a trials or a freestyle 24" uni. Things
    I had in mind were the
    'Nimbus 24\" freestyle' (http://tinyurl.com/4jwm9)
    or a
    'Nimbus trials' (http://tinyurl.com/4md2x)

    I'm open to any other suddestions as well. So far I have just been
    riding around my street (which is a cauldesac). Eventually I would like
    to do the trials stuff which is a while off so what do you think would
    be the best uni for me to continue learning on and i guess later on let
    me do some more advanced stuff.

    Thanks for any help

    --
    TiNcAn
    TiNcAn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9070

  2. jsm

    jsm Guest

    I have the Nimbus II freestyle 24," and I really like it, but unless you
    want to do some distance riding and freestyle before going the trials
    way, the trials unicycle would probably be best. The problem with the
    Nimbus freestyle 24" is that it is something of a compromise, unless you
    specifically want to do freestyle on a 24". Generally freestyle is done
    best on a 20" although compromiser that I am, I always do it on my one
    unicycle, the Nimbus 24". It might hold up to some trials and MUni, but
    not much, and there are much better choices for those riding styles. And
    if your fixated on distance riding, you should get at least a 29" wheel.
    So the Nimbus II 24" is only good for those who can afford only one
    unicycle, and like to ride distance and freestyle, plus light
    off-roading. If you want to go trials whole hog, you should probably
    consider the KH, unless you are constrained by your budget, although the
    Nimbus trials would probably be fairly good.

    jsm - Freestyle below Freezing!

    jsm to BMX posers: "So, what do you do with the extra wheel?"
    BMX poser: "Uhhh...., I dunno."

    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  3. TiNcAn

    TiNcAn Guest

    Thanks,

    Does a trials uni ride ok on road and is it capable of doing some basic
    freestyle stuff? my dilemma is that i want to ride on the road a lot and
    learn to do some freestyle stuff as well as jumping etc. So basically I
    want to choose the one that does both best I guess.

    --
    TiNcAn
    TiNcAn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9070

  4. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

  5. TiNcAn

    TiNcAn Guest

    I live just outside of Penrith. Sounds like I should get a trials uni
    then. Is it worth getting the nimbus cycle or something like that. I
    would prefer not to spend as much as a KH is worth if I can avoid it but
    I dont want to waste my money on something that isn't worth it.

    --
    TiNcAn
    TiNcAn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9070

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:55:20 -0600, "TiNcAn" wrote:

    >Does a trials uni ride ok on road and is it capable of doing some basic
    >freestyle stuff?

    Your best bet right now is probably to get a decent trials unicycle.
    If you are as enthousiastic as it seems from your post, you'll find
    yourself buying dedicated unicycles for each type of riding you do.
    Maybe the freestyle uni is next.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:55:20 -0600, "TiNcAn" wrote:

    >Does a trials uni ride ok on road and is it capable of doing some

    basic
    >freestyle stuff?

    Your best bet right now is probably to get a decent trials unicycle. If
    you are as enthousiastic as it seems from your post, you'll find
    yourself buying dedicated unicycles for each type of riding you do.
    Maybe the freestyle uni is next.

    Klaas Bil

    Reposted directly on the forum, my original Usenet reply doesn't seem to
    have made it here. - KB

    --
    Klaas Bil - Sir Prince of Newsgroupia
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442