Advice with new bike

John Tomlinson

Guest
Its time to retire my 1970's vintage Claud Butler road bike to the status of pub bike[1]. From my
type and style of riding - mainly commuting with the occational audax ride - I have decided that I
need an audax type bike. I am looking to spend about £800.

Criteria in order of priority:

1) Short top tube - I have had some neck and shoulder problems over the years and my old Claud
Butler with a 54cm top tube (54cm seat tube C-top) has helped.

2) Dual pivot Caplier brakes rather than cantis. I know that Sheldon Brown says you can get good
stopping power from cantis, but I have been very impressed with the dual pivots I managed to fit
(using Sheldon's advice about drop bolts) on my current bike.

3) Campag ergo rather than Shimano STI. I am not keen all those cables flapping around.

4) Dynamo braze on.

The options so far are:

The new Thorn Brevet - yes I know this is STI rather than Ergo. but it does come in a short option.

The Geoffrey Butler Compact Audax as advertised on pg 15 of the Feb/March CTC rag. Comes with Veloce
group set for £749

The Centaur from Byercycles: http://www.byercycles.co.uk/bikeprice/09-R0902.html But the top tube is
a little long at 55.5cm

The Dawes Audax but I think this is far too long - I have yet to find out the top tube length.

What are the group opinions on these bikes and any others I have not thought of.

Of course I could go the expensive route and get a Roberts, but I have the feeling that spending
£1200+ on a bike will mean that I will not want to ride it. I might just want to keep it in the shed
and polish it occasionally.

John T.

[5] The rims/hubs are shot and it only has a 120mm OLN for the rear wheel I do not want to
expand that out to 130 for modern hubs as this is stretching it too far. No brazons for
bottle cages or racks.

Remove the singers of Spam before replying

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:07:17 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course I could go the expensive route and get a Roberts

Do it!

It's not the "expensive" route, it's the "perfect bike" route.

> but I have the feeling that spending £1200+ on a bike will mean that I will not want to ride it. I
> might just want to keep it in the shed and polish it occasionally.

Oooh no, don't worry about riding it. When you have a bike as fine as a Roberts, the little dings
and knocks it will take count not as wear and tear, but as patina.

Go on, you know it makes sense.

Bob

John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote
> Its time to retire my 1970's vintage Claud Butler road bike to the status of pub bike[1]. From my
> type and style of riding - mainly commuting with the occational audax ride - I have decided that I
> need an audax type bike. I am looking to spend about £800.
>
> Criteria in order of priority:

Your criteria seem very sensible!

Only comment I have is about your old bike. I suggest converting it to a fixed gear for a new
experience of cycling, if you don't have a fixed gear bike already.

-Myra

Alright if you live in the fens, bloody hard work here in the Peaks

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:20:34 -0000, "trevor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Alright if you live in the fens, bloody hard work here in the Peaks

Not in the fens, but I am in East Anglia, so maybe I could give the fixy a go.

Thanks everyone.

John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The new Thorn Brevet - yes I know this is STI rather than Ergo. but it does come in a
> short option.

Hmm - SJS don't seem to be very big on Campag. I suppose you could always order a frameset only and
get your LBS to build it up to your own requirements.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:07:17 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Its time to retire my 1970's vintage Claud Butler road bike to the status of pub bike[1]. From my
>type and style of riding - mainly commuting with the occational audax ride - I have decided that I
>need an audax type bike. I am looking to spend about £800.
>
>Criteria in order of priority:
>
>1) Short top tube - I have had some neck and shoulder problems over the years and my old Claud
> Butler with a 54cm top tube (54cm seat tube C-top) has helped.
>
>2) Dual pivot Caplier brakes rather than cantis. I know that Sheldon Brown says you can get good
> stopping power from cantis, but I have been very impressed with the dual pivots I managed to fit
> (using Sheldon's advice about drop bolts) on my current bike.
>
>3) Campag ergo rather than Shimano STI. I am not keen all those cables flapping around.
>
>4) Dynamo braze on.

Have you tried mercian? Custom built or off the shelf, campag agents/distributors as well.

<http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/>

Tim

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:07:17 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

Thanks to everyone for all your replies; every reply has been very helpful. I will make my mind up
one day, I promise.