Advice

IzzyG

Jan 14, 2006
Heya guys. I have a 56 cm Soloist Team frame at the moment and have noticed that when I ride hilly routes, I get pretty bad lower back pain. However, if the roads are flat, the back pain is nonexistent regardless of distance. I'm 5ft 8" and was advised to get a 54cm frame, however the lack of stock forced me to get a 56cm frame. Since it's a compact geometry bike, I could clear the standover height. I got professionally fitted about 3 months ago and I repeat "professionally". Not from one of those guys who got certified from a weekend course either.

So my question is, should I reluctantly get a smaller frame? And according to my inseam, I should get a 52 cm actually. Although I have a longer torso in proportion to my legs hence why I think 54cm is best. 0.o Or should I work my core more? I also could flip my stem to raise the handlebars but that also stretches me forward more. I'm thinking of just working my core alot more(which I have only started). Helppppppppppppppppppppppp~

Izzy G.

What type of pain, and how long have you been riding? If it's a sharp pain, then it's potentially a fitting issue and you should get back in touch with the person who did your fitting. Even the experts don't always get everything right the first time. If the pain more of a dull muscle ache, then it's a strength issue. It only pops up on the climbs because you're pushing harder with your lower back muscles. With more miles your muscles will get stronger. Also try to include your back in your post ride stretching. It's easy to forget.

Izzy, you failed to give us your age, this could be a key factor in size consideration. I have a couple of stem raisers for friends in your position, too low, and too old. :)

IzzyG said:
Heya guys. I have a 56 cm Soloist Team frame at the moment and have noticed that when I ride hilly routes, I get pretty bad lower back pain. However, if the roads are flat, the back pain is nonexistent regardless of distance. I'm 5ft 8" and was advised to get a 54cm frame, however the lack of stock forced me to get a 56cm frame. Since it's a compact geometry bike, I could clear the standover height. I got professionally fitted about 3 months ago and I repeat "professionally". Not from one of those guys who got certified from a weekend course either.

So my question is, should I reluctantly get a smaller frame? And according to my inseam, I should get a 52 cm actually. Although I have a longer torso in proportion to my legs hence why I think 54cm is best. 0.o Or should I work my core more? I also could flip my stem to raise the handlebars but that also stretches me forward more. I'm thinking of just working my core alot more(which I have only started). Helppppppppppppppppppppppp~

Izzy G.
The 56 cm may give you too much reach to the bars. What did the pro fitter tell you? If he recommended a smaller frame, I'd probably go with that. You could also get a shorter reach stem of course.

Second what Art said. Lower back pain on a tough, hilly ride is nothing unusual for many of us, particularly the first few hard rides in the spring. A lot of this fit stuff depends on your core strength and flexibility, IMO, but would say core strength work and daily stretching is a good idea for most all cyclists.