Advice?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rik Van Diesel, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. I am getting back into cycling and was wondering which bike I should get. So far I have been using
    an older steel frame (Skittle Junior days), but it seems to be a little soft for my power output,
    especially compared to the new technology everyone else is riding. Before I retired I was a pretty
    dominant force in the cat 4's, but that was in the days of down tube shifters. I won lots of races
    both in breaks and field sprints, and now I am struggling. I am planning to do a full season in the
    4/5 Master (10-12 races), and have already done 2 races (DNF both). Anyway I noticed everyone had
    much nicer bikes than me, which is probably why I am not stepping on the podium like I use to.
    Basically I need a bike that is good all rounder like myself who can climb and sprint, so I can
    return to top of the podium were I belong. I am 6' with a BMI index of 25. Once I start racing I
    usually get down to 24! I can produce 262.5 watts for 4 minutes, and sprint at 1237 (sometime only
    1212** ). Also I will be racing at Santa Cruz crit, so I will need a bike that can handle the 55 11
    combination.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Look forward to seeing everyone this year at Master Nats (I will have my upgrade by then).

    Master RVD

    PS Serious advise only!!!

    ** tested with a Powertap, and a confirmed with an SRM.

    Tags:

  2. "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... ... Basically I need a bike that is good all
    rounder like
    > myself who can climb and sprint, so I can return to top of the podium were I belong. I am 6' with
    > a BMI index of 25. Once I start racing I usually get down to 24! I can produce 262.5 watts for 4
    > minutes, and sprint at 1237 (sometime only 1212** ). Also I will be racing at Santa Cruz crit, so
    > I will need a bike that can handle the 55 11 combination.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Look forward to seeing everyone this year at Master Nats (I will have my upgrade by then).
    >
    > Master RVD
    >
    > PS Serious advise only!!!
    >
    > ** tested with a Powertap, and a confirmed with an SRM.

    http://www.safaribikes.com/cycle30.htm

    -T

  3. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >[email protected] (Rik Van Diesel)

    >Master RVD
    >
    >PS Serious advise only!!!

    The problem is definitely Equipment. You need to go with a Colnago CF3 frame (The F is for
    Ferrari so you know it's gonne be fast.) Then you have to get your hands on that rumored Shimano
    11 speed group. Remember this is MASTERs racing, you'll need it. Being a big strong rider, you
    need to watch the weight on your bike. Easton ec90 bars ITM magnesium A-head stem(anythin Ahead
    has to be worth it right) Gotta have a Storck Power Arms carbon crankset 290g. It looks kinda
    tough to get here in the states, but you NEED a set. This'll get you started anyway. Just make
    sure you use all unobtainium bolts and fasteners too. Looking forward to you in the "Stars &
    Stripes" jersey. Bill C.

  4. "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > PS Serious advise only!!!
    > >
    > > ** tested with a Powertap, and a confirmed with an SRM.
    >
    > http://www.safaribikes.com/cycle30.htm

    Does the downtube say Hi Bird or Hiv Bird?

    On a serious note, how many kids riding 12" wheel bikes would have the hand strength to squeeze
    those shitty levers/calipers?

  5. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > PS Serious advise only!!!
    > > >
    > > > ** tested with a Powertap, and a confirmed with an SRM.
    > >
    > > http://www.safaribikes.com/cycle30.htm
    > >

    > Does the downtube say Hi Bird or Hiv Bird?

    I believe it's Hi Bird with a Bird logo in the middle

    > On a serious note, how many kids riding 12" wheel bikes would have the
    hand
    > strength to squeeze those shitty levers/calipers?

    If you need the brakes, you shouldn't be racin' with the big kids.

    -T

  6. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >[email protected] (Rik Van Diesel)
    >
    > >Master RVD
    > >
    > >PS Serious advise only!!!
    >
    > The problem is definitely Equipment. You need to go with a Colnago CF3
    frame
    > (The F is for Ferrari so you know it's gonne be fast.)

    No way, the Colnago is mass-produced. That's not good enough.

    Go with the Seven. Custom, hand-crafted titanium. It's the only way to coax the maximum amount of
    wattage out of your legs. The most comfortable too - you will be less fatigued at the end of races
    when you'll need it the most.

    Don't forget to only wear skinsuits EXCLUSIVELY when you have a number pinned on. The aerodynamic
    savings cannot be overstated, especially if you need to lose 20 or more lbs.

  7. Rik Van Diesel wrote:

    > I am getting back into cycling and was wondering which bike I should get. So far I have been using
    > an older steel frame (Skittle Junior days), but it seems to be a little soft for my power output,
    > especially compared to the new technology everyone else is riding. Before I retired I was a pretty
    > dominant force in the cat 4's, but that was in the days of down tube shifters. I won lots of races
    > both in breaks and field sprints, and now I am struggling. I am planning to do a full season in
    > the 4/5 Master (10-12 races), and have already done 2 races (DNF both). Anyway I noticed everyone
    > had much nicer bikes than me, which is probably why I am not stepping on the podium like I use to.
    > Basically I need a bike that is good all rounder like myself who can climb and sprint, so I can
    > return to top of the podium were I belong. I am 6' with a BMI index of 25. Once I start racing I
    > usually get down to 24! I can produce 262.5 watts for 4 minutes, and sprint at 1237 (sometime only
    > 1212** ). Also I will be racing at Santa Cruz crit, so I will need a bike that can handle the 55
    > 11 combination.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Look forward to seeing everyone this year at Master Nats (I will have my upgrade by then).
    >
    > Master RVD
    >
    > PS Serious advise only!!!

    Here's the best advice I can give if you want to ride better: forget rbr ever existed.

    PS: that *was* serious!!!

  8. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

  9. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

  10. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    never mind. with a bad ass name like rik van deisel you should skip the bike racing and go right
    into the film industry. or the music industry.

  11. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 3/4/03 1:27 PM, in article [email protected], "JTN"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > never mind. with a bad ass name like rik van deisel you should skip the bike racing and go right
    > into the film industry. or the music industry.

    WWF

  12. [email protected] (Rik Van Diesel) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    <snip>

    > in breaks and field sprints, and now I am struggling. I am planning to do a full season in the 4/5
    > Master (10-12 races), and have already done 2 races (DNF both). Anyway I noticed everyone had much
    > nicer bikes than me, which is probably why I am not stepping on the podium like I use to.
    > Basically I need a bike that is good all rounder like myself who can climb and sprint, so I can
    > return to top of the podium were I belong.

    <snip>

    <dr. evil>Riiiiiiggghhhht</dr. evil> I'm sure the difference between DNF and the podium is just a
    matter of an equipment upgrade.

    Boyd ... DNF my race this past weekend, but I'm man enough to admit its because I wasn't
    *fast* enough.

  13. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Boyd Speerschneider
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Boyd ... DNF my race this past weekend, but I'm man enough to admit its because I wasn't
    > *fast* enough.

    Is there any other reason you might admit to?

  14. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    [email protected] (Rik Van Diesel) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... snip

    Also I will be racing at Santa
    > Cruz crit, so I will need a bike that can handle the 55 11 combination.

    > Master RVD
    >
    > PS Serious advise only!!!

    OK, I'll bite, why do you need a 55-11 for the Santa Cruz Crit??? I've never spun out on the
    downhill, even back in the days of 52-12. Or do you mean the new Sea Otter Crit in Santa Cruz??

    Bob Parker

  15. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    Bob, because he's FAST!

    Anyone who rides an old Skittles frame with downtube shifters is faster than
    me... I learned that long ago.

    -B

    "Bob Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Rik Van Diesel) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > snip
    >
    > Also I will be racing at Santa
    > > Cruz crit, so I will need a bike that can handle the 55 11 combination.
    >
    > > Master RVD
    > >
    > > PS Serious advise only!!!
    > >

    > OK, I'll bite, why do you need a 55-11 for the Santa Cruz Crit??? I've never spun out on the
    > downhill, even back in the days of 52-12. Or do you mean the new Sea Otter Crit in Santa Cruz??
    >
    > Bob Parker

  16. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am getting back into cycling and was wondering which bike I should get.

    You sound like you should try MOTOR cycle racing.

  17. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message > No way, the
    Colnago is mass-produced. That's not good enough.

    > Go with the Seven. Custom, hand-crafted titanium. It's the only way to coax the maximum amount of
    > wattage out of your legs. The most comfortable too - you will be less fatigued at the end of races
    > when you'll need it the most.
    >
    > Don't forget to only wear skinsuits EXCLUSIVELY when you have a number pinned on. The aerodynamic
    > savings cannot be overstated, especially if you need to lose 20 or more lbs.

    Kurgan and Bill C,

    First thanks for taking the time to post. One thing Kurgan I said BMI of 25 and that is not fat, but
    thanks. I only look fat cause I am hunched over, and my belly barely hinder my pedaling when I am in
    the drops, but I am not fat. I totally agree with the skin suit thing. I always wear a skin suit,
    Yes even on training rides. My old football coach always told me. You play how you practice. In my
    case I play in the skin suit. Next thanks for the advice on the Seven, but all Ti, no carbon??? I am
    not sure this is the best advice. I looked at the web-site and the carbon bike cost a lot more than
    the all Ti, so I guess it must be much better. I think you need to brush up on the latest bike
    trends unless you have some inside track, which I would love to hear, or see a side by side
    analysis. Until then I might stick with Colnago, if I can get it custom made. Lastly Bill I
    appreciate knowing you are rooting for me to get the stars and stripes, and I will try that much
    harder. FYI while I don't wear a star and strips jersey today I do have districts champ stripes on
    my sleeve from when I won the 11-13 junior category back in 1982. You earn those for life you know.
    Like the world champs strips on many of the top master jerseys I see while out training. Oh the
    dream..Just like Mario..

    Thanks again.

    Master RVD

    Oh and for the haters.

    Bob Parker...What part of the mad power I put out didn't tip you that I needed a 55x11, and yes SC
    Crit..I posted my watts! Break away.. Heard of it???

    Boyd...I guess you ride a huffy then since it doesn't matter, or the bike so posted by that funny
    guy Tom S. That was funny.

  18. Myles

    Myles Guest

    Well, I don't know that the equipment problem is the bike.. Seems to me if you're really serious,
    you'll forget the skinsuit, skinsuit crap, head straight to the seedy end of town, and have a full
    body tatoo jersey applied. It will save way more weight than ANYset of carbon cranks, will be
    totally aero, wick well, and with clever body shaving, (and the speed at which you will certainly be
    hurtling) no one will ever notice! If you're really hardcore, you'll have him put a white patch on
    your left a$$ cheek so you can have your daily race number sharpied in..

  19. Rik-<< So far I have been using an older steel frame (Skittle Junior days), but it seems to be a
    little soft for my power output-

    << especially compared to the new technology everyone else is riding.

    << I won lots of races both in breaks and field sprints, and now I am struggling.

    << Anyway I noticed everyone had much nicer bikes than me, which is probably why I am not stepping
    on the podium like I use to .

    << Also I will be racing at Santa Cruz crit, so I will need a bike that can handle the 55 11
    combination.

    By all means get a new bike but don't expect a free ride to the podium because of the bike.
    Equipment isn't going to get you there but 'riding lots', like Eddy said.

    << Any help would be appreciated.

    get a good bike fit achieve the best fitness you can lose weight race and train smart

  20. warren <[email protected]> wrote in news:040320031508219113%[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Boyd Speerschneider
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Boyd ... DNF my race this past weekend, but I'm man enough to admit its because I wasn't *fast*
    >> enough.
    >
    > Is there any other reason you might admit to?

    Well lets see...

    - It was my first night race *ever*.
    - It was my first race of the season.
    - It was *very* poorly lit course and almost pitch black in some sections (save for some p33ps
    holding flashlights) - The course had 8 sketchy 90 degree corners within a 1k downtown course. -
    It was my first race of the season. - I'm a cat. 3 racing in the pro/1/2/3 field.
    - Oh yeah, team 7-Up was there.

    But really I could just <insert my excuse here> =] Or, I could just blame it on my equipment, like
    Rik Van Diesel LOL. But, what it really comes down to is this: I just wasn't fast enough through
    those damn corners.

    I didn't get dropped, but I was about to get lapped by the leaders after ~30min into a 45min
    crit. Plus, I wasn't making up any lost ground. I *really* wanted to finish. If it wasn't so
    dangerous, I probably would have fought harder. But it was, so I dropped out. I wasn't spent, or
    even close to it.

    To be honest though, I don't feel bad about it. I don't feel that I ever really had a chance to open
    the throttle. If I did and still got smoked, then I would feel bad.

    All in all, I feel pretty good about it. I got a chance to race against some *very* fast
    compitition. Now I know where I stand and what areas I need to improve on. I also kept the rubber
    end down, kept all of my skin, and didn't damage any of my equipment; which is more than quite a few
    of the other racers managed that night.

    - B