Advise on wheelsets please

You want a good hub, slim steel spokes that are preferably bladed, no more than 24 spokes on the rear and 20 on the front, a rim that is more or less elliptical or parabolic in profile, ideally 30+mm in depth, and of alloy construction (for durability) where it faces the road, although a carbon fairing is acceptable or even desirable. This ideal wheelset also has alloy braking surfaces. Weight and stiffness are secondary considerations, although you don't want it to be unnecessarily heavy or so floppy that it rubs the pads in a sprint.

How many wheelsets fit the bill?
None.

Which comes closest?
In my opinion, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL/Premium. I was recently dismayed to learn that the hub fitted to Ksyrium SSC and the Cosmic Carbone has a plastic bush in the freehub body that needs regular service. This is an unnecessary gesture in a heavier wheel such as the Carbone, and it has certainly diminished my keenness for a set. It is for this reason that it fails to make the grade as a close-to-ideal wheel. It fulfills all of my other criteria, and seems to have a reputation for being a robust wheelset.

What else is reasonable in your price range?
Campy Zonda .
Fulcrum Racing 3.
Shimano 7801.
Shimano 6600.
This is NOT a comprehensive list. There are probably some Eastons etc that deserve to be on it. None of the above are close to ideal, but have aerodynamic section, low-spoke count, slim bladed spokes and are alloy.

Many ranges (Ksyrium, Fulcrum, Campy) have cheaper wheels with steel spokes that are probably superior, in terms of drag and stiffness, to their more expensive siblings (ie Zonda vs Eurus, Ksyrium Elite/Equipe vs SSC SL, Racing 3 vs Racing 1/0).

Paul Merlo of RMIT recently published a study showing that a non-deep-profile (~30mm) aerodynamic-section rim laced with 32 spokes is superior in terms of drag to a box-section rim such as an open pro laced with 16 spokes. So don't forget options such as a hand-built Velocity deep V wheel, although a 28-36 spoke wheel can't equal a 20 spoke wheel.

artemidorus said:
You want a good hub, slim steel spokes that are preferably bladed, no more than 24 spokes on the rear and 20 on the front, a rim that is more or less elliptical or parabolic in profile, ideally 30+mm in depth, and of alloy construction (for durability) where it faces the road, although a carbon fairing is acceptable or even desirable. This ideal wheelset also has alloy braking surfaces. Weight and stiffness are secondary considerations, although you don't want it to be unnecessarily heavy or so floppy that it rubs the pads in a sprint.

How many wheelsets fit the bill?
None.

Which comes closest?
In my opinion, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL/Premium. I was recently dismayed to learn that the hub fitted to Ksyrium SSC and the Cosmic Carbone has a plastic bush in the freehub body that needs regular service. This is an unnecessary gesture in a heavier wheel such as the Carbone, and it has certainly diminished my keenness for a set. It is for this reason that it fails to make the grade as a close-to-ideal wheel. It fulfills all of my other criteria, and seems to have a reputation for being a robust wheelset.

What else is reasonable in your price range?
Campy Zonda .
Fulcrum Racing 3.
Shimano 7801.
Shimano 6600.
This is NOT a comprehensive list. There are probably some Eastons etc that deserve to be on it. None of the above are close to ideal, but have aerodynamic section, low-spoke count, slim bladed spokes and are alloy.

Many ranges (Ksyrium, Fulcrum, Campy) have cheaper wheels with steel spokes that are probably superior, in terms of drag and stiffness, to their more expensive siblings (ie Zonda vs Eurus, Ksyrium Elite/Equipe vs SSC SL, Racing 3 vs Racing 1/0).

Paul Merlo of RMIT recently published a study showing that a non-deep-profile (~30mm) aerodynamic-section rim laced with 32 spokes is superior in terms of drag to a box-section rim such as an open pro laced with 16 spokes. So don't forget options such as a hand-built Velocity deep V wheel, although a 28-36 spoke wheel can't equal a 20 spoke wheel.

thanks for that... im still slightly confused...(of course!). are you reccomending more spokes (deep v) or less as above?

i was thinking of having a deeper profile rear, focussed on strength and aero, with a front that was less aero and lighter - carrying less weight and making it easier to steer against wind...im happy if my budget is too high compared to my bike, and would gladly spend less. i just dont want to then be upgrading later on if it wasn't enough?

in terms of handbuilt wheels how do you select everything? and then how would i choose a builder? im happy with my LBS (cecil walker) but don't know about their wheel building...

i like the campy zonda (different profile) and it is quite cheap too! what about a wheelset such as this, but with different hubs/spokes, or does that wreck the point of it?

A wheel with fewer spokes is better for drag, one with more spokes gives better durability and stiffness. My point about the Deep V is that, although you would probably want at least 28 spokes with a hand built wheel, a 32 spoke "aero", but not deep, profile wheel is still quicker than a box rim with far fewer spokes. (I'm just giving you my usual rant about box rims such as everyone's favourite baby, the Open Pro). If you are not a Clydesdale or a known serial wheel killer, a wheelset with a 16/20 spoke count is to be preferred over a 28+ spoke handbuilt set.

Sounds like the Zondas would suit you. I have never owned Campy wheels, but many favour them. Their hubs are said to be excellent.

artemidorus said:
...Sounds like the Zondas would suit you. I have never owned Campy wheels, but many favour them. Their hubs are said to be excellent.
i have a campy zonda wheelset (06 model) and it's by far the best wheelset i've used. the hub is super smooth and it's been pretty bomb proof so far. compared to the Mavic Aksium when coasting downhill, it's can be up to about 3km/h faster (depends on the steepness of the hill). i even out freewheeled a clydesdale once (and i was about 1/2 the size of the clyde).

boon

boon said:
i have a campy zonda wheelset (06 model) and it's by far the best wheelset i've used. the hub is super smooth and it's been pretty bomb proof so far. compared to the Mavic Aksium when coasting downhill, it's can be up to about 3km/h faster (depends on the steepness of the hill). i even out freewheeled a clydesdale once (and i was about 1/2 the size of the clyde).

boon

do you use it everyday, ie as a training wheel? what are the spokes like? where did you get urs from, and what seems a reasonable price?

are the hubs better than DA hubs? i would like a wheel i can ride on, then come summer, maybe do some crits when ive got more mileage in my legs...

Now you have an idea of the model and the local price, get ready and take a look at probikekit.com. You'll suddenly find yourself ready for an upgrade at the same price. ;)

~MoDCoN~ said:
do you use it everyday, ie as a training wheel? what are the spokes like? where did you get urs from, and what seems a reasonable price?

are the hubs better than DA hubs? i would like a wheel i can ride on, then come summer, maybe do some crits when ive got more mileage in my legs...
i use the zonda wheelset as my race/eventing wheels (except for the first 500km when i first got it to break in the hubs). the spokes are about 2mm or 2.5mm wide and feels pretty solid. front rims are 24mm deep and rear is 28mm deep. the G3 spokes for the rear wheel feels solid so far. if you have more money to burn, then i hear that the Fulcrum Racing 1 and Racing 0 are pretty awesome wheelsets.

i got mine from www.totalcycling.com (their shipping rates for wheelsets are better than probikekit.com). i have recently found another well priced online store - www.cyclesuperstore.ie (i bought a Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo wheelset and it had worked out to be cheaper than totalcycling and probikekit). the price from totalcycling is reasonable and way cheaper than what i would have paid if bought from my LBS.

i don't know much about the DA hub or DA wheelsets. if your LBS has a demo set, then i suggest you give it a go. the thing about buying online and not having the opportunity to demo the product is that you have to go on faith that what you have read or been told is a reasonably accurate representation of the product. with many conflicting opinions on any given products, you'll have work out who or what to believe and then bite the bullet and hope it works out right for you.

boon

boon said:
if you have more money to burn, then i hear that the Fulcrum Racing 1 and Racing 0 are pretty awesome wheelsets.
These wheelsets are best avoided as they have oversized alloy spokes and are probably relatively high drag. I can't quote figures, but the Ksyrium SSC/ES wheels, with similar spokes, are disappointing. Spoke profile is hugely important - very expensive, deep profile carbon wheels such as the lightweight obermayer are ruined, in terms of drag, by ridiculous fat spokes.

artemidorus said:
These wheelsets are best avoided as they have oversized alloy spokes and are probably relatively high drag. I can't quote figures, but the Ksyrium SSC/ES wheels, with similar spokes, are disappointing. Spoke profile is hugely important - very expensive, deep profile carbon wheels such as the lightweight obermayer are ruined, in terms of drag, by ridiculous fat spokes.
the spoke design on the Fulrum Racing 1 and RacingZero is different from the Ksyrium SSC and ES wheels. perhaps this might address the drag issue you have experienced.

anyway, one thing for the OP to bear in mind about Campy and Fulcrum wheelsets is the difficulty when mounting new tyres (such as Michelin Pro2Race). this is apparently due to the width of the rim (20mm). i have found that once mounted, the beads will stretch over a period of time so when it comes to punture repairs, they are much easier to remove and remount.

boon

I ended up going with TWE wheels , Greg was more than forthcoming with details and spec's taking everything into account .

outrig2.jpg
Here's the real wheelset Funkyjunk went with...

at least that one isn't the wheel chair variety you ride in Christopher Reeve

Now where do you really live ..... someone called Foo recons your a septic tank from Californication ....

don't they have big bling rims over there Thoedore Railiegh ?