Advise pls. replacement for cheese and crackers...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Eric, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I just read here that cheese is generally quite bad for one's health.

    I am a 33yo bachelor. Cheese and crackers is a definite staple for
    me. Given what I've read I would like to completely replace it in my
    diet. Honestly, I probably eat more than one meal per day of cheese
    and crackers.

    I need to find something that is just as easy to prepare and just as
    satisfying but far healthier? Does anything like this exist?

    Remember,
    1) almost no prep nor clean up required
    2) satisfying
    3) I can't afford to buy a salad everyday from the grocery store.
    4) nutritious

    HELP!
    thanks a lot
    Eric

    Tags:

  2. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I'm thinking I will replace some of the cheese and crackers with
    1) more tins of sockeye salmon
    2) more mixed nuts(but not a lot more)
    3)and some hardboiled eggs(haven't been eating these for a while).

    any more suggestions?

    thanks
    Eric

  3. Piezo Guru

    Piezo Guru Guest

    Get a nutrition minded wife?

    "Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm thinking I will replace some of the cheese and crackers with
    > 1) more tins of sockeye salmon
    > 2) more mixed nuts(but not a lot more)
    > 3)and some hardboiled eggs(haven't been eating these for a while).
    >
    > any more suggestions?
    >
    > thanks
    > Eric

  4. Cheese and crackers would be less expensive. Even cheese and crackers
    and 2 bypasses would be less expensive.

    Seriously, I recommend replacement with almond butter and jelly
    sandwiches. Use your favorite fruit jellies, and alternate fruit
    jellies to include all the colors you can, consistant with what you
    like.

  5. "Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I just read here that cheese is generally quite bad for one's health.
    >
    > I am a 33yo bachelor. Cheese and crackers is a definite staple for
    > me. Given what I've read I would like to completely replace it in my
    > diet. Honestly, I probably eat more than one meal per day of cheese
    > and crackers.
    >
    > I need to find something that is just as easy to prepare and just as
    > satisfying but far healthier? Does anything like this exist?
    >
    > Remember,
    > 1) almost no prep nor clean up required
    > 2) satisfying
    > 3) I can't afford to buy a salad everyday from the grocery store.
    > 4) nutritious

    Crackers, humus, avocado.

  6. Piezo Guru

    Piezo Guru Guest

    Yeah but the wheat bread will kill you now.

    "Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cheese and crackers would be less expensive. Even cheese and crackers
    > and 2 bypasses would be less expensive.
    >
    > Seriously, I recommend replacement with almond butter and jelly
    > sandwiches. Use your favorite fruit jellies, and alternate fruit
    > jellies to include all the colors you can, consistant with what you
    > like.

  7. montygram

    montygram Guest

    "I just read here that cheese is generally quite bad for one's health."

    If you live by what you read here, and in the mainstream media, you
    will eat nothing and starve to death. You need to learn about the
    biochemistry of food. Raw cheese (either aged or if you can get the
    soft cheese raw, freeze it for 2 weeks before eating it) is one of the
    best things you can eat. I challenge anyone to cite a study
    demonstrating how cheese eating in large amounts leads to heart
    attacks, and I want to see molecular level or cellular level evidence,
    not the statistical stuff where they ask people what they ate and they
    determine what is "healthy." I can't even get these people to give me
    a blank form that they use for these surveys, and I'm a sholar working
    in this field. Isn't it funny how the heart attacks started around
    1950, when Americans began eating lots of food that leads to a great
    deal of lipid peroxidation, and eating much less food high in
    antioxdiants. Then the high PUFA oils were pushed on us, and the
    cancer rates went through the roof. I've got the old evidence, for
    example, aside from some female cancers, the only cancer that people
    got occassionally was stomach cancer, not prostate, not colon, etc. Do
    some independent thinking, Eric, and you'll feel like Neo in The
    Matrix, but you'll live a lot longer.

  8. John Que

    John Que Guest

    "Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm thinking I will replace some of the cheese and crackers with
    > 1) more tins of sockeye salmon

    sardines and canned herring. I like pickled herring
    but that is an ethnic thing and I not so sure
    it is a health food. I also like smoked
    salmon even if it carcinogen rich;-)

    > 2) more mixed nuts(but not a lot more)

    I'll suggest raw nuts and the best are nuts still in the shell.
    Almonds, walnuts, pecans, so on. Plus certains
    seeds like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.

    > 3)and some hardboiled eggs(haven't been eating these for a while).

    Omega 3 eggs?

    > any more suggestions?
    >
    > thanks
    > Eric

  9. RBR

    RBR Guest

    On 18 Dec 2004 22:01:19 -0800, "montygram" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I challenge anyone to cite a study
    >demonstrating how cheese eating in large amounts leads to heart
    >attacks, and I want to see molecular level or cellular level evidence,
    >not the statistical stuff where they ask people what they ate and they
    >determine what is "healthy."

    True. Many health issues seemed to escalate around that time. As far
    as the "dangers" of cheese and other dairy products, we just have to
    look at the consumption habits of the Swiss to derail that myth.

    Regards.

    Rob