Advised not to cycle.

Simon Mason

Guest
I was togged up in my cycling gear at work yesterday about to set off home
when a guy I'm on nodding terms with said.

"Don't you think it's unsafe to be cycling at the moment, Simon. What with
all the grease and mud on the road?"

It was hard to argue with him on that score. Especially as I have to ride
quite far out into the road to avoid all the muck and have HGVs thundering
past my right ear 'ole. It's only a matter of time.

I might go on the hybrid using my off road routes until things improve.

--
Simon M.

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Don't you think it's unsafe to be cycling at the moment, Simon. What
> with all the grease and mud on the road?"

I imagine the grease and mud makes driving somewhat unsafe too. And
walking - horrors!

Perhaps we had all better stay in bed.

--
Geek Made Easy - http://www.geekmadeeasy.com/
We're geeks so you don't have to be

Simon Mason wrote:
> I was togged up in my cycling gear at work yesterday about to set off home
> when a guy I'm on nodding terms with said.
>
> "Don't you think it's unsafe to be cycling at the moment, Simon. What with
> all the grease and mud on the road?"
>
> It was hard to argue with him on that score. Especially as I have to ride
> quite far out into the road to avoid all the muck and have HGVs thundering
> past my right ear 'ole. It's only a matter of time.
>
> I might go on the hybrid using my off road routes until things improve.
>
> --
> Simon M.

Wear a helmet and as if by magic you will be safe. Isn't that right ?

Simon Mason composed the following ...
> I was togged up in my cycling gear at work yesterday about to set off home
> when a guy I'm on nodding terms with said.
>
> "Don't you think it's unsafe to be cycling at the moment, Simon. What with
> all the grease and mud on the road?"
>
> It was hard to argue with him on that score. Especially as I have to ride
> quite far out into the road to avoid all the muck and have HGVs thundering
> past my right ear 'ole. It's only a matter of time.
>
> I might go on the hybrid using my off road routes until things improve.

Just ride carefully, keeping aware of road surfaces and changing levels of
grip .. as many cyclists do when off-road.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Simon Mason wrote:
> I was togged up in my cycling gear at work yesterday about to set off home
> when a guy I'm on nodding terms with said.
>
> "Don't you think it's unsafe to be cycling at the moment, Simon. What with
> all the grease and mud on the road?"

I'd certainly say it's less safe, rather than unsafe, at the moment.
There definitely seems to have been a spate of mishaps reported here
recently.

I took my first spill in a couple of decades the other day. Despite
covering a couple of thousand commuting miles every year at a fair pace
on my road bike with skinny tyres, I ended up dumped in the middle of a
mini-roundabout while travelling at a fairly sedate pace on my fat-tyred
bike. One second I'm heading home, the next I'm a miserable-looking
traffic obstruction with a badly torn pair of oil-stained trousers.

I might do a rain-dance tonight in the hope that we get a decent
downpour to wash all the shite off the roads. We seem to have had
nothing but light misty rain recently that just makes the roads slippy :-(

Russell Fulker <[email protected]> writes:

>I took my first spill in a couple of decades the other day. Despite
>covering a couple of thousand commuting miles every year at a fair pace
>on my road bike with skinny tyres, I ended up dumped in the middle of a
>mini-roundabout while travelling at a fairly sedate pace on my fat-tyred
>bike. One second I'm heading home, the next I'm a miserable-looking
>traffic obstruction with a badly torn pair of oil-stained trousers.

>I might do a rain-dance tonight in the hope that we get a decent
>downpour to wash all the shite off the roads. We seem to have had
>nothing but light misty rain recently that just makes the roads slippy :-(

I seem to be OK when cycling but a couple of times I put my foot down
while I still had some speed and just glided along instead of stopping.

Roos

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:54:35 +0000, MSeries wrote:

> Wear a helmet and as if by magic you will be safe. Isn't that right ?

Oh yes. It will be an indestructible layer over your head, ensuring that
the eggshell within will come to no harm. It also has a teleprotective
effect; the rays emanating from it will also protect your knees, hands,
feet, and all other parts of you. It will anticipate your every wish and
sprout a straw which magically enters your mouth with a free flow of Bass
Bitter.
Oh, btw, you won't be able to breathe with it, but this is no problem.
You just hook yourself up to a heart-lung machine towed behind on a
trailer.

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.