Quoted message said:
As I was saying. Non-serious are those you DO NOT end up in the ER for.
So when you said the "less than "serious" accidents" were "the ones that
without a helmet might have called for an ER visit and stitching?" you
actually meant the ones that didn't need an ER visit and stitching? Or
did you just reposition when you realised your current position was not
tenable in the face of the facts?
Quoted message said:
Missing bit of data and that is the total number of riders in both years.
Source?
Actually numbers of riders decreased which meant as helmet wearing rates
went up so did accident rates and head injury rates per rider. As for
source, I gave that in a follow up post to another person's request.
Quoted message said:
That has a lot to do with wach copuntries view of cycling. Europe is
cycling friendly. The US is not.
I've cycled all over Europe and all over the US. Not sure there is much
difference. Downtown is downtown and countryside is countryside. The
cars in the US do tend to drive more slowly though. How much have you
done of both to compare?
Quoted message said:
Interesting, but what happens in Oz may or may not be relevant to the US
or anywhere elase for that matter.
But when what happens in Oz is consistent with the data from elsewhere
in the world including the US one has to ask is it more likely that the
US is similar to the rest of the world or that the laws of physics are
completely different in the US?
Quoted message said:
Yep, one person's facts are another's damned lies.
Ah the "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up" gambit.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Whatever common sense is telling you about the protective effect of
helmets, experience around the world says its wrong.This comment fails to address the relative safety of cyclists because of
attitudes and acceptance of cycling, doesn't it? Without that comparative
information, the stats are interesting, but may not be telling you what
YOU think they are. I'm betting you know people who have cycled in Europe
who would not venture on the road in the US because of the attitude of US
drivers.
And I'm betting you have never cycled in Europe to make a statement like
that. In fact I have just recruited a keen Californian cyclist who is
finding it most unnerving cycling with European traffic because it is so
much more aggressive than she is used to.
--
Tony
"The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
right."
- Lord Hailsham