Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Aegis Swift Cockeyed frame

Started by Hiroadrider · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,317 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 December 2007
Last activity
4 January 2008
Original author
Hiroadrider
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,317
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an Aegis Swift frame and the rear wheel has never been centered in the seat stays. Aegis' solution is the replace the dropouts (one side). I've tried 4 different dropouts and none creates prefect alignment. We chose the best of the four. Now there is a bad shimmy at 36 + mph (descending). Also, there is less than a 1mm of tire clearance when I use 23c tires. 20c are ok.

    Question: 1. Is it proper practice to align a frame with replaceable dropouts? 2. Would a miss aligned frame cause shimmy at high speed?
    3. Is it safe to ride a bike with less than 1mm of tire clearance?

    😕😠🙁

  2. I have never heard of using dropouts to correct an alignment problem. Can you tweak the rear wheel trueing to center the wheel? This is not the proper way to correct alignment problems either, but it might make the bike safer to ride.

    You might want to take the bike to your LBS and let them take a look at it.

  3. Hiroadrider said:

    I have an Aegis Swift frame and the rear wheel has never been centered in the seat stays. Aegis' solution is the replace the dropouts (one side). I've tried 4 different dropouts and none creates prefect alignment. We chose the best of the four. Now there is a bad shimmy at 36 + mph (descending). Also, there is less than a 1mm of tire clearance when I use 23c tires. 20c are ok.

    Question: 1. Is it proper practice to align a frame with replaceable dropouts? 2. Would a miss aligned frame cause shimmy at high speed?
    3. Is it safe to ride a bike with less than 1mm of tire clearance?

    😕😠🙁


    Any other Aegis riders out there?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.