Aero bars for FSA K Wing handelbars

Pat S

Jul 13, 2006
Hello, all

I use FSA K wing handlebars for my road bike and am doing more long distance cycling. I am interested in purchasing aero bars but because the top portion is flat, I am wondering if there are particuar bars that fit better than others (the bars are cylindrical to the immediate sides of the stem, but there doesn't appear to be much space for most bars.

Also, I had my frame custom fit for me--I have a Calfee Tetra Custom, that is a 49 x 49 (yes, I am short at 5'3") and despite the custom fit and set up, I begin to suffer from unusual tightness in my right arm when riding more than 20- 25 miles. This doesn't occur at all with my left arm. The pain is right above the elbow -- perhaps a tendon. The pain goes away with stretching, thus sometimes I must take a break to stretch it and that usually helps. I try to keep my shoulders relaxed. I find it strange the the tightness is on one arm, although I of course do the majority of my braking and shifting on this arm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patricia
San Fran:confused:

Some manufacturers don't recommend clip on aero bars with carbon handlebars and right now I don't know of any that make clip-ons for the wing handlebars. You may have to go with a new handlebar also.

Pat S said:
Hello, all

I use FSA K wing handlebars for my road bike and am doing more long distance cycling. I am interested in purchasing aero bars but because the top portion is flat, I am wondering if there are particuar bars that fit better than others (the bars are cylindrical to the immediate sides of the stem, but there doesn't appear to be much space for most bars.

Also, I had my frame custom fit for me--I have a Calfee Tetra Custom, that is a 49 x 49 (yes, I am short at 5'3") and despite the custom fit and set up, I begin to suffer from unusual tightness in my right arm when riding more than 20- 25 miles. This doesn't occur at all with my left arm. The pain is right above the elbow -- perhaps a tendon. The pain goes away with stretching, thus sometimes I must take a break to stretch it and that usually helps. I try to keep my shoulders relaxed. I find it strange the the tightness is on one arm, although I of course do the majority of my braking and shifting on this arm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patricia
San Fran:confused:

There is an integrated stem/aerobar system made by Pedalsoft that would allow use of any handlebar. The aerobar and armrests attach to the special stem, and are removable from the stem, thus allowing a normal "non-aero" set-up with the same stem.

They are a new company and their system is not that widely available. It is also pricey though at almost $350, but hey you have a Calfee Custom so what is a few hundred extra??

[email protected]

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPHBTTPDSFT/HB0609

Profile is supposedly also coming out with a stem mount system that would be much cheaper, but a release date hasn't been announced.

Of course, if you switched to a round, aluminum bar, you would have many clip-on aerobar choices.