Aero Bars on Road Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tomb, Apr 25, 2003.

1. tomb

tomb New Member

The seat tube angle of a road bike is 71-73 degrees. Correct? Ok so if i put some tribars aero bars on a standard road bike will the seat tube angle be too far back should it be around 78 degrees? so you are not perched on the tip of the saddle. I understand the seat tube angle on triathlon bikes and time trial bikes is around 78 degrees. So if i was to spend around £100 English pounds on aero bars would it be worth it or is the geometry all wrong because it is a road bike.

Tags:

2. chris.hall

chris.hall New Member

People do slap aerobars on standard road geometry bikes regardless of the seat angle. There are some things you can do to move you forward - slide the saddle as far forward, or invest in a bend seatpost (fast forward, don't know where they are bought). But, you have to consider if this is needed - it depends on your shape and flexibility, and how long you are going to be in the aeroposition.

3. rv

rv New Member

you may get by with sliding your seat forward. before I bought a tt bike, I had a thomson setback seatpost turned forward. this put me way forward.

most tt and triathlon bikes have a seattube angle between 76 and 78 degrees. the only exception I know is the trek tt bike used by usps. its seat tube angle is 74. the steep angle for most tt bikes is to aid bike to run transition. true roadies don't always want the steep angle, preferring a more traditional road geometry. coming to cycling from a running background, I like the steeper angle; I feel stronger with a steep angle when I'm laid out.

4. clever_guy

clever_guy New Member

tomb;

I use aerobars, more than any other reason I just like to change position during longer rides. I have what amounts to a bit of a bend in the seat post, and the seat is tilted forward.

-CG