aero bars... who wins?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Billx, May 19, 2003.

  1. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I bought a new bike recently and have had so much fun riding it sans aero bars. Now that my first
    race is two weeks away I moved my previous bike's bars to my new stalion because like it or not the
    bars increase my times by over 1 mph. Personally I don't think anyone wins other than the aero bar
    manufacturers and would gladly compete in an aerobar free race if such a construct existed.

    Tags:

  2. Zac Nesper

    Zac Nesper Guest

    I know I win when I'm more comfortable over the course of an IM or 1/2 IM. It's not just speed, it's
    comfort. Can you imagine trying to ride for 5+ hours in the drops?

    "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a new bike recently and have had so much fun riding it sans aero bars. Now that my first
    > race is two weeks away I moved my previous bike's bars to my new stalion because like it or not
    > the bars increase my times
    by
    > over 1 mph. Personally I don't think anyone wins other than the aero bar manufacturers and would
    > gladly compete in an aerobar free race if such a construct existed.

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Zac Nesper" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know I win when I'm more comfortable over the course of an IM or 1/2 IM. It's not just speed,
    >it's comfort. Can you imagine trying to ride for 5+ hours in the drops?

    Heh heh heh. That's called "cycling". You should try it some time. ;-)

    I too agree that I'd rather do a long, hard ride with aerobars to lay down on (with or without the
    aero advantage). I have raced courses that it would have been nice to have been able to ride a
    conventional road bike (lots of climbing, lots of corners), rather than being forced into using
    aerobars so as not to lose too much time on the flats.

    Oh, and I recently found another use for aerobars:

    http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html

    My aerobar / bar end shifter left a NICE long scratch down the side of the truck that took me out.
    It paid for it dearly though (though that was the only obvious damage to the bike - my helmet
    OTOH....).

  4. "Zac Nesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It's not just speed, it's comfort. Can you imagine trying to ride for 5+ hours in the drops?

    You're obviously not following the Giro! These guys do roughly that 21 days in a row (give or take 2
    rest days and 2 shorter TTs). The there's the TDF coming up...

  5. Zac Nesper

    Zac Nesper Guest

    Been watching the Giro almost every night...difference is that they can rest on the hoods when not
    taking a pull...took my aerobars off last week so I could pretend to be a cyclist again, and have
    been missing them sorely.

    Zac

    "James Hawkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > "Zac Nesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > It's not just speed, it's comfort. Can you imagine trying to ride for
    5+
    > > hours in the drops?
    >
    > You're obviously not following the Giro! These guys do roughly that 21
    days
    > in a row (give or take 2 rest days and 2 shorter TTs). The there's the
    TDF
    > coming up...

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
    >
    >Ouch! Glad you made it through with survivable injuries. Was the driver at least apologetic?

    I think so... I was a little out of it at the time (didn't really realize HOW much until later). For
    example, I had no idea I had fallen on my arm., and couldn't remember my address or the name of the
    road I was on (a road which I've ridden probably 500 times).

    Even stranger, when they asked me my age, I gave them my racing age instead of my actual age. Hmmmm.