Aero bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark U.

I want to race my road bike in time trials and am looking for some clip-on aero bars. I know this
can get as involved as I want with position, fit, etc., etc., but I'm no contender, just want
something that will get me a couple miles per hour more.

Any recommendations on entry level bars - pros and cons? I'm leaning toward the Profile Airstryke
2000. Here again I realize there are lots of opinions and preferences, but if anyone knows of
something to definitely avoid or definitely get, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Mark U.

If you're going to keep your saddle position the same, go get yourself a new stem that is between 1
& 2 cm shorter and has more rise than the one you have now. You're going to try and put your elbows
where your hands are supposed to be and you need to compensate for that.

The bolts on the Profiles are known to strip out the clamps.

That help?

Mike "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I want to race my road bike in time trials and am looking for some clip-on aero bars. I know this
> can get as involved as I want with position, fit, etc., etc., but I'm no contender, just want
> something that will get me a couple miles per hour more.
>
> Any recommendations on entry level bars - pros and cons? I'm leaning
toward
> the Profile Airstryke 2000. Here again I realize there are lots of
opinions
> and preferences, but if anyone knows of something to definitely avoid or definitely get, that's
> what I'm looking for.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark U.

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:57:31 -0800, "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I want to race my road bike in time trials and am looking for some clip-on aero bars. I know this
>can get as involved as I want with position, fit, etc., etc., but I'm no contender, just want
>something that will get me a couple miles per hour more.
>
>Any recommendations on entry level bars - pros and cons? I'm leaning toward the Profile Airstryke
>2000. Here again I realize there are lots of opinions and preferences, but if anyone knows of
>something to definitely avoid or definitely get, that's what I'm looking for.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mark U.
>
Used both and prefer the Syntace for build, weight and comfort.

cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:57:31 -0800, Mark U. wrote:

> Any recommendations on entry level bars - pros and cons? I'm leaning toward the Profile Airstryke
> 2000. Here again I realize there are lots of opinions and preferences, but if anyone knows of
> something to definitely avoid or definitely get, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm using the original version of the Airstryke. I like them because the elbow pads pop up and out
of the way when you don't need them. I like climbing with my hands on the bar top and the Airstrykes
give me a lot of room. They are also quite adjustable.

>I want to race my road bike in time trials and am looking for some clip-on aero bars. I know this
>can get as involved as I want with position, fit, etc., etc., but I'm no contender, just want
>something that will get me a couple miles per hour more.

Thats asking a fair amount from a pair of aerobars. Especially if you don't fool with your position.

>Any recommendations on entry level bars - pros and cons? I'm leaning toward the Profile
>Airstryke 2000.

I like the Profile bars but they do have a tendency to be and a reputation for being a bit chincy.

Jon Isaacs

> If you're going to keep your saddle position the same, go get yourself a
new
> stem that is between 1 & 2 cm shorter and has more rise than the one you have now. You're going to
> try and put your elbows where your hands are supposed to be and you need to compensate for that.

This has got to be rubbish! Presumably the reason for using a road bike for time trials is that this
is the only bike this person has. To shorten the reach and raise the bars may give a good TT
position but will yield an unsuitable position for the other 90% of the time this bloke's out on his
bike (training)! Also, for TTs you'd probably want your saddle a little further forwards (and higher
as a result). This will result in a shorter reach, anyway.

You'd be better off looking for the most adjustable tri-bars you can find so that your reach and the
location of the elbow pads can be adjusted soley by adjusting the tri bars. 3T bio arms are well
regarded for this. Far better to have a pair of tri-bars that put you in the right position than a
pair that look the mutt's nuts but don't...

Also Peter's point below about comfort is important. See if you can borrow some from someone in
the club and note how they feel (too stretched, too low, etc) and you can be more informed about
your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.