Aero Disc info and help needed

AirsoftAddict

Oct 11, 2010
Hi I just got back into cycling after nearly 15 years. I went to Holland to see family and caught the bug. Unfortunately there are way to many hills where I live. Anyway I am really interested in getting an aero wheel for my mountain bike. Not for any practical reason but me an my mate just want to re live our youth when we had the big bright smiley face ones. Where would be the best place on this forum (or anywhere ellse for that matter) to ask.

I have a specialized sirrus elite which I use for the roads and a the earo wheel is not for that. Its for a MTB
I have. Any help on where to buy or even how to make one would be great.
I know http://www.wheelbuilder.com d=make them. But these are for road bikes. I want those cheapie ones from the early 90's

Originally Posted by AirsoftAddict .

Hi I just got back into cycling after nearly 15 years. I went to Holland to see family and caught the bug. Unfortunately there are way to many hills where I live. Anyway I am really interested in getting an aero wheel for my mountain bike. Not for any practical reason but me an my mate just want to re live our youth when we had the big bright smiley face ones. Where would be the best place on this forum (or anywhere ellse for that matter) to ask.

I have a specialized sirrus elite which I use for the roads and a the earo wheel is not for that. Its for a MTB
I have. Any help on where to buy or even how to make one would be great.
I know http://www.wheelbuilder.com d=make them. But these are for road bikes. I want those cheapie ones from the early 90's
Wait a minute, do you plan to take that disk wheel on single track??? I wouldn't recommend it.

No I don't plan on taking it to a track or anything, I just want it for how it looks. Below is an example of one I used to have, Its a rubbish drawing but you get the point. It does not have to be a happy face.

specialized-rockhopper-sl-2010-mountain-bike.jpg

I didn't mean a track, like "velodrome" I mean technical off-road riding. What do you use this bike for? I can see where a disk wheel looks cool, but it is mean for very specific and limited functions and will not serve you well in other situations, so I suggest that you take functionality into consideration before making changes to a bike that will limit its versatility.

I want the wheel for the MTB which will just be for trips to the shops and going very short distances, for actual road use I have a sirrus elite which the aero disc will not be used for

So are you actually looking for a solid carbon disk to fit a 26" mountain bike wheel or simply looking for plastic wheel covers to fit over the spokes of the rear wheel? The former may be very difficult to find and will be quite expensive as typical time trial disc wheels cost upwards of $1000 US and are designed for aerodynamics which really isn't the biggest issue for off road bikes. I've seen mountain bikes with wheel covers, sometimes decorated as you describe, some were home made some built from commercial wheel covers but either way they'd cost a fraction of what you'd pay for a solid carbon disc wheel.

I'd get a hold of some plastic sheet material and cut yourself a set of custom wheel covers then paint them anyway you like.

Good luck,
-Dave

I dont want a carbon one I want a cheap plastic one that covers the spokes. I did not relise people made their own ones from sheet plastic. How good/bad do they look and are they hard to make?

Check out the section on making discs from ABS plastic sheeting in this link: http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/wheeldisk/wheeldisk.htm#Building%20instructions%20for%20a%20solid%20wheel%20disk%20made%20from%20ABS%20plastic%20%20sheeting:

-Dave