Aero light wheel magnet

Bititanio

Dec 2, 2003
Surprised noone bothered with this before ---

Radio Shack in the USA sells two small (1/8 inch) rare earth magnets for $1.99. I put them on (easiest with flat spokes) and make sure everything works, then dab a bit of 5 minute epoxy on the back side of the spoke to hold it in place (easy to scrape off and remove, esp. if you DON'T get it between the magnet and spoke).

I've done round spokes, and carbon tri wheels, too. Done several for tri and tt bikes....

Use both magnets stacked on some, only one needed on other brands of cyclometer.

A bit of black paint makes it almost invisible !!!

The darn thing is indeed very small. Very nice tip, and dirt cheap to boot. I think I'm going to try gluing one to my crank as a cadence sensor magnet. I don't know if you have the catalog number for that item, but if you do, please post it.

The LBS set up my wired Flight Deck for my R540's. I couldn't find a magnet available that would fit between the reed switch and the spokes on my Cosmos, so I epoxied a rare earth magnet to the wrong side of the spoke. It's double or triple the size of the Radio Shack version but it was powerful enough to trigger the reed switch from about 1/4" (6mm) away. It works so well I'm thinking of replacing the magnet that came with the computer too. Unfortunately, I used JB Weld instead of 5 minute epoxy. When the time comes, I'll probably be replacing the spoke instead of removing the magnet.