AERO or WISHBONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill B

Just curious. Why spend big bucks on a AERO when one can get a Ti wishbone for lots of bucks
less.Both are Ti.Both are lite.More choices [seats or whatever] with the Wishbone. Granted the Aero
has a more refined look over the more rougher wishbone but does that warrant paying more. i would
like to see a side by side test between the two. If I were a SWB dude I think I would go for the Ti
big wheel Wishbone ass :)

Wishbone, light, cooler looking and a great guy to deal custom with. Who says it's less
refined looking?

Bill B wrote:
> Just curious. Why spend big bucks on a AERO when one can get a Ti wishbone for lots of bucks
> less.Both are Ti.Both are lite.More choices [seats or whatever] with the Wishbone. Granted the
> Aero has a more refined look over the more rougher wishbone but does that warrant paying more. i
> would like to see a side by side test between the two. If I were a SWB ude I think I would go for
> the Ti big wheel Wishbone ass :)

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Wishbone, light, cooler looking and a great guy to deal custom with. Who says it's less refined
> looking?
>
bentrideronline remarked about the T bone being a little rough around the edges[welds that is]

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Wishbone, light, cooler looking and a great guy to deal custom with. Who says it's less refined
> looking?
>

I say it IS!

I have a very nice T-Bone with all the works and I love it. And, I still prefer it over the Aero. I
like the slightly lower seat height and the more reclined position over the Aero. Mostly, I like the
way the bike can be customized for the rider. Customized bike for the rider = perfect riding bike
for the rider. http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Tony/Birth.of.a.tbone.htm

But yes, it's a little less refined compared to the Aero. The weld and finish on the Aero is
immaculate, compared to the T-Bone. But, by far the T-Bone is not ugly! If anything, it's rough
looks can be appealing to some. And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks you might have some shop
polish the frame for you, (for an extra $100 bucks) or, better yet buy an Aero.

Safe Roads,

Tony Licuanan Seatte, WA

...just examined a new T-Bone frame at Poweroncycling. The welds were impeccable. If anyone has
questions. please query off - list.

Gene Tampa, FL RANS V-Rex

I rode them both at BROL and it looked nice to me. I once had a Wishbone RT that was the finest
made, and nicely finished bike i've ever owned.

Bill B wrote:
> bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Wishbone, light, cooler looking and a great guy to deal custom with. Who says it's less refined
>>looking?
>>
>
> bentrideronline remarked about the T bone being a little rough around the edges[welds that is]

The fit and finish of parts of the bike did not meet the standard set by his welds. It is an
intriguing bike, and, alas, I lack the disposable income to "dabble" in any more 'bents! But, when
this one is built, I am going to beg for a ride!

Gene Tampa, FL RANS V-Rex

just the name "T-bone" is cooler :). Seriously, George can do ANYTHING custom you'd like. On my
wishbone, he put an Organic Engines full mesh seat. I have trouble with High BB bikes, George says
he'd build me on with a RANS seat and a level BB. I've been riding bents for 20 years, the custom
bike experience can really be like no other, if done right.

caravan wrote:
> The fit and finish of parts of the bike did not meet the standard set by his welds. It is an
> intriguing bike, and, alas, I lack the disposable income to "dabble" in any more 'bents! But, when
> this one is built, I am going to beg for a ride!
>
> Gene Tampa, FL RANS V-Rex

EXCUSE ME!? Re: And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks... better yet buy an Aero.

That sure sounds like a tad (Though friendly) swipe at the Aero. (So in a "Friendly" response back)
At least when someone asks me what kind of bike I ride, I'll be able to answer a Bacchetta Aero,
instead of (What sounds a little more FOO FOO to me) a "rough looking Bone"... ;-) <Grin> EZ {NO foo
foo} Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Tony Licuanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks
> you might have some shop polish the frame for you, (for an extra $100 bucks) or, better yet buy
> an Aero.
>
> Safe Roads,
>
> Tony Licuanan Seatte, WA

[email protected] (Tony Licuanan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Wishbone, light, cooler looking and a great guy to deal custom with. Who says it's less refined
> > looking?
> >
>
> I say it IS!
>
> I have a very nice T-Bone with all the works and I love it. And, I still prefer it over the Aero.
> I like the slightly lower seat height and the more reclined position over the Aero. Mostly, I like
> the way the bike can be customized for the rider. Customized bike for the rider = perfect riding
> bike for the rider. http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Tony/Birth.of.a.tbone.htm
>
> But yes, it's a little less refined compared to the Aero. The weld and finish on the Aero is
> immaculate, compared to the T-Bone. But, by far the T-Bone is not ugly! If anything, it's rough
> looks can be appealing to some. And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks you might have some
> shop polish the frame for you, (for an extra $100 bucks) or, better yet buy an Aero.
>
> Safe Roads,
>
> Tony Licuanan Seatte, WA

Well, to my very untrained eye it looks a lot like an Aero. The first thing I said when I saw it was
"WOW!" Congrats on a very cool bike...looks fast even standing still!!

I own a T-Bone and love it. However, I have an Aero on order. I plan to do some comparison riding
and see which one I like best. George did an excellent job on my bike. It's fast, comfortable, light
and very easy to ride for Dual 650's. I have had no problems with the bike! I had mine custom made
with dual 650's because of the availability of light and aero wheels and fast tires. If anyone else
has had an opportunity to ride both for an extended period of time I would love to read about it.

Mick

you got to be "bad to the bone" to ride the bone.

EZ Biker :) wrote:
> EXCUSE ME!? Re: And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks... better yet buy an Aero.
>
> That sure sounds like a tad (Though friendly) swipe at the Aero. (So in a "Friendly" response
> back) At least when someone asks me what kind of bike I ride, I'll be able to answer a Bacchetta
> Aero, instead of (What sounds a little more FOO FOO to me) a "rough looking Bone"... ;-) <Grin> EZ
> {NO foo foo} Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
>
>
> "Tony Licuanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks
>
>>you might have some shop polish the frame for you, (for an extra $100 bucks) or, better yet buy
>>an Aero.
>>
>>Safe Roads,
>>
>>Tony Licuanan Seatte, WA
>

Hey, what wrong with what I said? I call it, as I see it. "Foo-foo" to me means, "pretty-pretty"...
Aero or, the Ti Rush is well polished! That's a compliment. Like I said, the T-Bone is rougher
looking and would need a shop to polish it, just to get to that "jewelry status".

Tony "why would I take a swipe at you, I don't even know you, nor do I care to" Licuanan Seattle, WA

"EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<SFO2a.99422$vm2.57725@rwcrnsc54>...
> EXCUSE ME!? Re: And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks... better yet buy an Aero.

> And, if you're looking
> for *foo-foo* looks
> > you might have some shop polish the frame for you, (for an extra $100 bucks) or, better yet buy
> > an Aero.
> >
> > Safe Roads,
> >
> > Tony Licuanan Seatte, WA

CALM DOWN TONY! :) :) :) Please read this part again... That sure sounds like a tad (Though
friendly) swipe at the Aero. (So in a "Friendly" response back)... This was just a "FRIENDLY"
response to your FOO FOO. BUT then I don't know if I'd enjoy anyone calling my future Aero Pretty
Pretty... Especially if it were in front of some of my fellow Killer B clan... :) <Laughter> In
fact one of the B's (Jose, formally with BROL) just recently parted with his Wishbone; BUT really
enjoyed it and was NOT SLOW on it either. (He just got a certain B sting and now's he's become a
KILLER B!!!!!!!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Tony Licuanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, what wrong with what I said? I call it, as I see it. "Foo-foo" to me means,
> "pretty-pretty"... Aero or, the Ti Rush is well polished! That's a compliment. Like I said, the
> T-Bone is rougher looking and would need a shop to polish it, just to get to that "jewelry
> status".
>
> Tony "why would I take a swipe at you, I don't even know you, nor do I care to" Licuanan
> Seattle, WA
>
>
> "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<SFO2a.99422$vm2.57725@rwcrnsc54>...
> > EXCUSE ME!? Re: And, if you're looking for *foo-foo* looks... better yet buy an
Aero.
>
>
>
> > And, if you're looking
> > for *foo-foo* looks
> > > you might have some shop polish the frame for you, (for an extra $100 bucks) or, better yet
> > > buy an Aero.
> > >
> > > Safe Roads,
> > >
> > > Tony Licuanan Seatte, WA

> Well, to my very untrained eye it looks a lot like an Aero. The first thing I said when I saw it
> was "WOW!" Congrats on a very cool bike...looks fast even standing still!!

Mitch,

Thank you for the kind words. But, I've compared both bikes. The Bachetta Aero that I rode at Battle
Mountain last October was so much more polished. And, the welds are much nicer, more uniformed beads
and smoother. There's nothing about the Aero that I didn't like.

I only went with the T-Bone because, George Reynolds customized the bike a little bit for me. Also,
the seat is about 2" lower than the Aero. I am 5'7" and it helps a bit to keep the seat height
lower. Not an aerodynamics issue I'm sure. Just ergonomics.

Tony Licuanan Seattle, WA

PS: I have a carbon tailbox on it now. I will try take pics when I get some time and get it posted
at George Reynolds' site.

> I have a very nice T-Bone with all the works and I love it. And, I still prefer it over the Aero.
> I like the slightly lower seat height and the more reclined position over the Aero. Mostly, I like
> the way the bike can be customized for the rider. Customized bike for the rider = perfect riding
> bike for the rider. http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Tony/Birth.of.a.tbone.htm
>

How's the wishbone for everyday riding and/or touring? (I realize this could be modified by
customizing when ordering seat, etc...)

sj

> > Mostly, I like the way the bike can be customized for the rider.
> > http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Tony/Birth.of.a.tbone.htm

>
> How's the wishbone for everyday riding and/or touring? (I realize this could be modified by
> customizing when ordering seat, etc...)

sj,

If you mean the T-Bone...

FOR LONGER RIDES:

The T-Bone rides like dream out on the open roads. The feel is plush for a SWB. And the dual 650c
wheels, coupled with the titanium frame, really absorbs the road shock while keeping the ride
"lively". So far, it's the best hill climbing 'bent I've ever had. It's also the fastest 'bent on
rougher roads that I've ever ridden on. It feels like a road bike in a way. It glides.

FOR EVERYDAY COMMUTE:

My work commute to downtown Seattle everyday consists of being "elbow to elbow" with city cabs &
buses at times. I also have to deal with railroad crossings (at least 3), and rough terrain, not to
mention WET! (...rains a little here in Seattle you know?) I have ridden the T-Bone a few times but,
I would rather ride my BikeE - or, something small, like a Vision Metro, EZ1 or an EZ Sport.

Safe Roads,

Tony Licuanan Seattle, WA

Tony Licuanan wrote:
> ... FOR EVERYDAY COMMUTE:
>
> My work commute to downtown Seattle everyday consists of being "elbow to elbow" with city cabs &
> buses at times. I also have to deal with railroad crossings (at least 3), and rough terrain, not
> to mention WET! (...rains a little here in Seattle you know?) I have ridden the T-Bone a few times
> but, I would rather ride my BikeE - or, something small, like a Vision Metro, EZ1 or an EZ Sport.

In my opinion as a previous Wishbone RT owner, the very high BB, reclined seating position, large
foot/wheel overlap, and steering geometry of recent bikes from Reynolds Weld Labs are not well
suited for stop and go riding or low speed maneuvering. The Reynolds Weld Lab bikes are definitely
more at home going fast on the open road for long distances. I suspect that is George Reynolds's
design objective, so compromises are made in user friendliness in order to optimize performance.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Tony Licuanan wrote:
>
>>... FOR EVERYDAY COMMUTE:
>>
>>My work commute to downtown Seattle everyday consists of being "elbow to elbow" with city cabs &
>>buses at times. I also have to deal with railroad crossings (at least 3), and rough terrain, not
>>to mention WET! (...rains a little here in Seattle you know?) I have ridden the T-Bone a few times
>>but, I would rather ride my BikeE - or, something small, like a Vision Metro, EZ1 or an EZ Sport.
>>
>
> In my opinion as a previous Wishbone RT owner, the very high BB, reclined seating position, large
> foot/wheel overlap, and steering geometry of recent bikes from Reynolds Weld Labs are not well
> suited for stop and go riding or low speed maneuvering. The Reynolds Weld Lab bikes are definitely
> more at home going fast on the open road for long distances. I suspect that is George Reynolds's
> design objective, so compromises are made in user friendliness in order to optimize performance.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's
>

That was my major complaint about the Wishbone RT that I owned, the foot/wheel overlap. In fact,
it was a crank/wheel overlap. I suppose I could have gotten shorter cranks and/or a smaller tire,
but it was about then that I got a Tour Easy. So, the Wishbone was sold. Definitely a fast bike.
I'm far from being a racer-type, but I was able to (briefly) get that thing above 30 mph on level
ground with no wind. I had to stop and go back and pick up a lung, but it showed just how fast
that bike was.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

> If you mean the T-Bone...
>

Yup, I did mean the T-bone. I'm taking a good look at the 20/700 t-bone, p'raps with full pantours
and maybe OSS, as a compromise on Fast that can also commute. I know the thing will never be a
traffic bike, but I'm not as SICK as some of you, and I just can't have tooooo many bikes in my
garage. ;)

George tells me the BB-Butt differential on the 26/20 is something like 7 inches, (versus 12 on the
dual 26). That seems more manageable to me.

sj

Status
Not open for further replies.