Aero Ride Report Part 1

Truestorys

Guest
If I didn't have Bad Luck, I'd have No Luck…….

Bad Luck Part 1.

So I got a new Aero Ti Recumbent and now I effused with wanting to get in the best shape that I can.
And what better way to get in shape than Commute to work. Twelve miles each way. Twenty Four miles a
day. 365 days a year.

Why that's 8760 miles a year! All Right! To get started I load a gym bag full of clean cloths off my
closet rack, put the recumbent in the back of the van and drive to work. That way, I ride home at
night and in the morning return to work on the bike. You just don't want to dive right into this
8769 miles a year thing.

So I sneak out of work at 4 to avoid the killing rush hour race with higher primates is SUV's. I've
got 12 miles to go. It's 97 degree's on the big temperature clock. And I've got a full Camel Back. I
start cruising along Jollyville road and I'm surprised to find that the traffic is light and most of
it actually respects me and gives me room to live. Only a moron talking on her Cell phone while
applying eye shadow makeup, in an oversized gigantic white Chevy Suburban, is any threat to my
existence.

At about the 6 mile mark, I join up with Palmer Road, It has more traffic, but it has a nice wide
10-foot shoulder. But here I think the heat of the day begins to talk it's toll and I begin to slow
down and can't seem to make any speed. It's hot and I have to sit at the traffic lights with cars
emitting foul black odors. So as I leave each Stoplight, I try and crank on the pedals and build up
some speed to make it home before the sun cooks my brain. But I can't.

I can't seem to go more than 9 or 10 miles an hour. God it must be the heat. Or I'm sick. I try and
try to push hard on the pedals and make this new 3 million dollar recumbent go, but I can't.

On a small upward slope, a road bike blast past me and I try and hang onto his wheel, just to show
him all recumbent riders aren't slugs, but I can't. I have no power in my legs.

I am a slug.

I begin to convince my self that I'm sick. Yea, I've ridden too hard in the last couple of days on
this new wonder bike and I'm just exhausted. I'm like a fine tuned athlete after a marathon run and
I'm just spent. God I need a rest.

So I ride a couple of more miles and get within about a mile of Home. There's a hill there I'd like
to ride, to add a few more miles before I go home. Everybody needs hill work to get stronger. Right?

So I start up this hill and my legs are just D.O.A. (Dead On Arrival) The are just quivery jelly
masses of lactic acid. I just can't push hard enough to make it up this stinken hill!!

I now know that I have the Flu or the Bubonic plague or SARs. Yea, I'm probably in the early stages
of SARs. I knew I should never had lunch with that Asian guy form Toronto.

So halfway up this stupid little hill, I give up. I just turn around, tuck my tail between my legs
and give up. I coast down the hill wondering what the cure for SARs is and head for home.

A mile latter I pull into my garage. Hot, tired, and disgusted. But, I'm not a quitter! Even if I'm
within days of dying, I will commute to work tomorrow morning.

So to be ready for the next days commute, I will be sure each tire is filled to the maximum pressure
that is allowed in my Vredestein Fortezza 145 pound per square inch racing tires. So I just reach
over and give each tire a finger squeeze test to see how each tire is doing and………

There is no AIR in the Stinken rear Tire!!

I have a stupid God Damn flat!!

I've been riding about 6 miles on a flat rear tire!

What a moron.

I don't have SARs!

I'm going to live to ride to work tomorrow.

> So to be ready for the next days commute, I will be sure each tire is filled to the maximum
> pressure that is allowed in my Vredestein Fortezza 145 pound per square inch racing tires. So I
> just reach over and give each tire a finger squeeze test to see how each tire is doing and………
>
> There is no AIR in the Stinken rear Tire!!

There are commuting tires and racing tires. Do not confuse the two. Light racing tires do not manage
the trials and tribulations of commuting on glass shards, steel belted radial remanents and other
detritus commonly encountered along most commute routes.

Hugging the shoulder, you will find all sorts of debris kicked there by speeding SUVs. Usually the
cleanest spot is in the right wheel track.

Now you have an excuse to get a second set of wheels and some decent commuting tires.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Originally posted by Truestorys
If I didn't have Bad Luck, I'd have No Luck. . .And what better way to get in shape than Commute to work. Twelve miles each way. Twenty Four miles a
day. 365 days a year. . .Why that's 8760 miles a year! All Right!

Sounds like you live at work. I would hate to work seven days a week.

When commuting do not ride right by the curb. Not only is there debris, but if you are right by the curb, you have no room to move to in an emergency.

On 24 Jun 2003 05:51:26 -0700, [email protected] (Truestorys) wrote:

>So halfway up this stupid little hill, I give up. I just turn around, tuck my tail between my legs
>and give up. I coast down the hill wondering what the cure for SARs is and head for home.
>
>A mile latter I pull into my garage. Hot, tired, and disgusted. But, I'm not a quitter! Even if I'm
>within days of dying, I will commute to work tomorrow morning.
>
>So to be ready for the next days commute, I will be sure each tire is filled to the maximum
>pressure that is allowed in my Vredestein Fortezza 145 pound per square inch racing tires. So I
>just reach over and give each tire a finger squeeze test to see how each tire is doing and………
>
>There is no AIR in the Stinken rear Tire!!
>
>I have a stupid God Damn flat!!
>
>I've been riding about 6 miles on a flat rear tire!
>
>What a moron.
>
>I don't have SARs!
>
>I'm going to live to ride to work tomorrow.

As the president of said moron club I welcome you brother/sister!

I would recommend that rather than ridding on a flat tire you ride 20 miles in hill country with the
rear brake jammed on as I recently did
- much more stable than a flat but just as effective at making you puke your lungs out!

A 12 mile commute over city roads with a full camelback and 145 psi skinny tires? hmmmm

Regards Chris

I'd suggest taking some time off of work and not working 365 days a year. At least take a weekend
here and there.

Chuck Davis

<Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 24 Jun 2003 05:51:26 -0700, [email protected] (Truestorys) wrote:
>

> >So halfway up this stupid little hill, I give up. I just turn around, tuck my tail between my
> >legs and give up. I coast down the hill wondering what the cure for SARs is and head for home.
> >
> >A mile latter I pull into my garage. Hot, tired, and disgusted. But, I'm not a quitter! Even if
> >I'm within days of dying, I will commute to work tomorrow morning.
> >
> >So to be ready for the next days commute, I will be sure each tire is filled to the maximum
> >pressure that is allowed in my Vredestein Fortezza 145 pound per square inch racing tires. So I
> >just reach over and give each tire a finger squeeze test to see how each tire is doing and...
> >
> >There is no AIR in the Stinken rear Tire!!
> >
> >I have a stupid God Damn flat!!
> >
> >I've been riding about 6 miles on a flat rear tire!
> >
> >What a moron.
> >
> >I don't have SARs!
> >
> >I'm going to live to ride to work tomorrow.
>
> As the president of said moron club I welcome you brother/sister!
>
> I would recommend that rather than ridding on a flat tire you ride 20 miles in hill country with
> the rear brake jammed on as I recently did
> - much more stable than a flat but just as effective at making you puke your lungs out!

Very, very funny! I enjoyed every word (I'm still chuckling)... thanks for posting it.
--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

Originally posted by Chere
Very, very funny! I enjoyed every word (I'm still chuckling)... thanks for posting it.
--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

Me Too...Thanks for the laugh. I really needed it this afternoon. Remember to post more of your riding adventures, you have a great writing style.

Thanks again,

kim :D

Chris, Relly great piece. Funny! Funny too is it seems the lower the profile of the skinny tire the
longer it takes to notice a flat. I suspect yours was a slow leak. I was riding with Corsa AL and he
ask if his rear was tire flat I looked and said, not that I can see. A few miles down the road he
asked... are you sure? I looked from behind and said Hmmm..lets stop and check it. I was not flat
but musta had all of 50 lbs in it. Real tiny...slow leak. About you commute on an AERO. I commute on
mine, nice roads, no traffic. I run Hutch Carbon Comp 23s on the stock wheels and Fortezzas on the
Disks and climbing wheels. Contrary to others opinions about width I commuted on a DF with 25mm
tires successfuly for years. However, they were beffy tires. ie Specialized K4's. The problem is,
while 571mm tire choices are expanding there a no real heavy duty tires available. I think there is
a 28mm (Terry) tire but its not reinforced. I believe a kevlar belted 23mm or 25mm would be fine for
commuting. I think the problem of flatting is more related to puncture resistance than width. In
fact I think your more likely to get a flat with a wide tire with more contact with the road.
Hopefully soon there will be a good sturdy puncture resistant 571 tire available.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A 12 mile commute over city roads with a full camelback and 145 psi skinny tires? hmmmm
>
> Regards Chris

"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris, Relly great piece. Funny! Funny too is it seems the lower the profile of the skinny tire
> the longer it takes to notice a flat. I suspect yours was a slow leak. I was riding with Corsa AL
> and he ask if his rear was tire flat I looked and said, not that I can see. A few miles down the
> road he asked... are you sure? I looked from behind and said Hmmm..lets stop and check it. I was
> not flat but musta had all of 50 lbs in it. Real tiny...slow leak. About you commute on an AERO. I
> commute on mine, nice roads, no traffic. I run Hutch Carbon Comp 23s on the stock wheels and
> Fortezzas on the Disks and climbing wheels. Contrary to others opinions about width I commuted on
> a DF with 25mm tires successfuly for years. However, they were beffy tires. ie Specialized K4's.
> The problem is, while 571mm tire choices are expanding there a no real heavy duty tires available.
> I think there is a 28mm (Terry) tire but its not reinforced. I believe a kevlar belted 23mm or
> 25mm would be fine for commuting. I think the problem of flatting is more related to puncture
> resistance than width. In fact I think your more likely to get a flat with a wide tire with more
> contact with the road. Hopefully soon there will be a good sturdy puncture resistant 571 tire
> available.

I would second Jude's comments about using the 650x23c tires. While they may not be the ideal
commuting tire, they wouldn't stop me from commuting if that is what I had to work with. I no longer
commute because of job related issues of needing motorized transportation during the day, but when I
did on my V-Rex with a Comp Pool on the front and a Tom Slick on the rear, I easily had more flats
on those tires than I do with the 650x23c Michelins on my Strada and the riding conditions are
really not much different. In about 1,000 miles on the Michelins I have had one flat which isnt bad
for the conditions that I ride in.

Let's face it that an Aero is not usually thought of as the optimal commuter, but it certainly can
be done and time and experience on the bike can offset any less than optimal commuting components.

Pat Mc

bentcruiser wrote:

> Truestorys wrote:
> > If I didn't have Bad Luck, I'd have No Luck. . .And what better way to get in shape than
> > Commute to work. Twelve miles each way. Twenty Four miles a day. 365 days a year. . .Why
> > that's 8760 miles a year! All Right!
>
> Sounds like you live at work. I would hate to work seven days a week....

I worked 40 days/520 hours over a seven week period last year and it was real fun.

[email protected] (PJ) wrote in message

> Let's face it that an Aero is not usually thought of as the optimal commuter,<<

Hi Pat,

It's the only recumbent that I gots. So if I'm to commute, it has to be the Aero.

Don